PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Beat up Brady, beat the Patriots! Or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This is a pretty popular narrative. If you get lots of hits on Brady, you'll win. But is that really true?

The 2007 and 2011 Giants are often cited as proof of this. But other teams have beaten up Brady and not won either.

The 2007 Giants had 5 sacks and 9 QB hits.

The 2011 Giants had 2 sacks and 8 QB hits.

The 2014 Seahawks had 1 sack and 7 QB hits.

The 2016 Falcons had 5 sacks and 9 QB hits.

While sacks and QB hits aren't all there is to pressure, it's worth noting that actual hits to Brady were similar and the team went 2-2 in those games.

The 2007 Super Bowl was up against the Giants great DL, and they beat the crap out of Tom, especially early on. But despite struggling to score much all day, including being shut out in the 3rd quarter, Brady led the team down the field late in the 4th quarter to go ahead.

Against the 2014 Seahawks, Brady put up 14 points in the first half against one of the best defenses in league history. He took fewer hits, but the pressure also led to 2 INTs. But despite struggling to score much all day, including being shut out in the 3rd quarter, Brady led the team down the field late in the 4th quarter to go ahead.

The difference of course was one easy INT bumbled away by Asante, one crazy helmet catch, and one big TD throw by Eli vs. one crazy bouncing catch, then one INT at the goal line to Butler.

In other words, similar scenarios, and the only difference was the D and how they held up on the last drive.

If Asante makes that pick, we're talking about how Brady overcame a tremendous pass rush and drove the team to victory. But because of the defense, the narrative changes.

If Butler doesn't make that INT at the goal line, we're saying that beating up Brady will be how you beat the Patriots. But because of the defense, the narrative changes.

Tom went from 3-3 in Super Bowls to the GOAT on a single play where he wasn't even involved.

The 2016 Falcons also beat up Brady, getting as many sacks and hits as the 2007 Giants. But again, the outcome of the game changed the entire narrative.

That's why the story today will be on the Eagles DL, and if they can get pressure. But even with pressure, Brady has overcome and found a way to put us in a position to win. Sometimes the D closes the deal, sometimes not.

So don't panic if the OL struggles early on and they start rolling out Giants sacks on the TV. Tom will find a way to give us a chance to win today no matter what.

Teams are correct. The Giants blueprint is the way to have a better shot at beating a Tom Brady led Patriots team. Rush 4, drop 7 in coverage and the 4 you're rushing get solid, fast, consistent pressure.

Thing is, this is how you have a good chance of beating any team and causing a headache for any QB. I think it gets mentioned over and over when playing the Pat's because it really is one of the only ways to have a chance against them. Other teams you can frustrate/gain an upper hand against multiple ways. With Brady and the Pat's this may be the only consistent way to have a chance against them.

Put it another way- if you don’t hit Brady, your loss is guaranteed. Let’s not use the falcons game as some sort of indicator of how the blueprint doesn’t work because it did work. It was an unprecedented miracle that we won that game.

Can you repeat the analysis with 2015 Broncos conference finals?

Does Foles have a bubble around him? I "hope" :D he can take a beating ....

I don't think that Giants defensive line gets enough credit mainly because they were rarely all healthy at the same time. They were for both Super Bowls runs. Each of those linemen were dominant and completely overwhelmed our offensive line while only rushing four guys.

I think the stage is going to be too big for Foles.
I disagree.
I'm not saying he's going to be lights out but I don't see him looking like a turd either.

This Revelation Just In: It's hard to throw the ball when you are on your back.
BTW Philly was 15th in sacks this year, New England was 5th.

9 hits doesn’t even tel the story of how many times he had a guy in his face right away in 42

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft