PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB watch

Schooler is just awful…good for at least one catastrophic penalty or mistake every game.

Bill has to go…as much for the coaching staff he assembled as anything else.

NO chance he accepts a GM telling him what do do which is really the true issue re: both player AND coaching personnel
Schooler saved a turnover last night

If BB wants to just be a DC only again- I really think he’s still the best in the league right now even at his age. I can’t think of anyone equal. Maybe Spag is close?
That will never happen. Once you’re a HC for as long as Bill has been and what he’s accomplished, you can’t go back to DC.
true.

and no HC would ever hire him as DC. He’d be crazy to put himself in such an untenable position.

Spagnuolo is a one dimensional blitz obsessed DC. Nobody is in BB’s league of game to game scheming. Whoever is second is a very distant second.
also the chiefs defense was never good before this season

i think jim schwartz is a good DC

Belichick isn’t giving up control. It would be stupid to have the best who has ever done the job have to coach a team someone else is picking players for.
why? BB's draft picks and FA signings did not pan out in a way you would expect
almost every other team has a GM/HC combo even if the HC are proven
What is going to happen is they are going to expand his staff and build out a succession plan with those who will be taking over responsibilities having increasing roles, but one man must be in control.

Merry Christmas to you too!

so what would be an intriguing HC/GM combo? Who would it take to Wow you?

and you say that there are only a handful of teams in the league right now with solid coaching or a good GM, one or the other, so how about both? Given that, how likely is it that Kraft will come up with a combo of both?

As fans it’s hard to know who the best available GM candidates are, so in this instance I would want them to stick with Groh and Wolf, but if they have decided on one or the other then put them in charge. Unfortunately we have no way of knowing who has been right or wrong in their views on ther persone, with the exception of a few anecdotes, such as Wolf’s role in making the trade up to get Barmore. I think most here lean towards Wolf because of the pedigree, but Groh certainly has a lifetime of football exposure as well. Either way I would give them the first opportunity to see if they can run the franchise. And without knowing Belichick’s status it’s hard to say which way to go on coach. If he retires I think Mayo gets the job and most assistants stay, but I hope he goes outside the organization to get a bright young offensive mind to work with their next QB prospect. If Belichick takes another job then he will likely take staff and organization people with him, at which point it really hard to say what they will do, no matter what it’s going to be a fascinating offseason.

I listened to Pioli on Curran's podcast. He doesn't sound like a healthy man.

That’s odd, I saw him on Good Morning Football around September and he seemed fine.

As fans it’s hard to know who the best available GM candidates are, so in this instance I would want them to stick with Groh and Wolf, but if they have decided on one or the other then put them in charge. Unfortunately we have no way of knowing who has been right or wrong in their views on ther persone, with the exception of a few anecdotes, such as Wolf’s role in making the trade up to get Barmore. I think most here lean towards Wolf because of the pedigree, but Groh certainly has a lifetime of football exposure as well. Either way I would give them the first opportunity to see if they can run the franchise. And without knowing Belichick’s status it’s hard to say which way to go on coach. If he retires I think Mayo gets the job and most assistants stay, but I hope he goes outside the organization to get a bright young offensive mind to work with their next QB prospect. If Belichick takes another job then he will likely take staff and organization people with him, at which point it really hard to say what they will do, no matter what it’s going to be a fascinating offseason.
I don't want anyone involved with the JuJu and Reiff signings to be involved in personnel decisions. Or the Harry and Thornton picks.

I don't want anyone involved with the JuJu and Reiff signings to be involved in personnel decisions. Or the Harry and Thornton picks.

Can’t argue with that. Belichick’s free agency decisions have been terrible. He’s always looking for the best deal, instead of the better player. They have a ton of money this coming off season, and Belichick can’t be the one spending it.

Good comments about Groh and Wolf. I could see Kraft telling Bill that part of his job is to begin succession planning for his eventual retirement by grooming both of them to become strong GM candidates, by delegating most or all of his GM responsibilities to them beginning immediately. Bill loves teaching, so that might appeal to him enough to be palatable instead of telling him he has to give up his GM role.

Last night affirmed my feelings about Bill Belichick

That his teams play hard, even in the midst of an 11 loss season

Mistake letting him go

Get him help in the personnel department, but keep him here.
He could have the greatest scouting department in the NFL, but it's a moot point if he doesn't heed their advice.

Good comments about Groh and Wolf. I could see Kraft telling Bill that part of his job is to begin succession planning for his eventual retirement by grooming both of them to become strong GM candidates, by delegating most or all of his GM responsibilities to them beginning immediately. Bill loves teaching, so that might appeal to him enough to be palatable instead of telling him he has to give up his GM role.

I think the grooming part has to be over, but I also think that Kraft telling Belichick he wants him to stay as coach, but turn football operations over to Groh and Wolf is the best sell to Belichick if he still wants to coach. Belichick has always claimed that he makes every move in the best interests of the team and franchise, and I think Kraft can make that argument in this case. He needs to find out if they are up to it, and he has to give them control to find that out.

Kraft will be reluctant to take rusk of lettibg Bill go to another team after the Brady fiasco.
I think BB stays until he retires and Kraft hires a GM to help Bill.
Bill will not let anyone else make personnel decisions.

Thats because the Pats will be left with the awful roster from BB the GM, and he will inherit a roster without guys named Stange, Mapu, Sow or another dozen names nobody has ever heard of.
And worse then that, Bill will leave us without us picking in the top 5 (and even then, we've had our chances of a true difference maker greatly reduced).

Kraft will be reluctant to take rusk of lettibg Bill go to another team after the Brady fiasco.
I think BB stays until he retires and Kraft hires a GM to help Bill.

Why hire one when they have two guys in Groh and Wolf who they have been bringing through the system to do that? If HiwiecRoseman is available by all means go get him, but other than that GM is going to be a huge decision for them, and I would start with the guys they have over going outside the organization.

Good thing that there is finally a thread about this.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: sb1
I honestly don’t know what’s best for the team but ultimately I don’t think Bill will give up control and I don’t think Kraft has the confidence to do anything about it.

why? BB's draft picks and FA signings did not pan out in a way you would expect
almost every other team has a GM/HC combo even if the HC are proven
Many of his recent moves either out much better than is apparent, but have been brought down by the qb.
Over his tenure here his cumulative moves are the best ever.

Did the win last night move the needle either for your opinion on whether BB should stick around or what will actually happen?

It didn’t move the needle for me that much, I still think it’s time for a change, Gotta admit though they’re playing hard with nothing to play for.

Don’t know about Kraft. Black Monday is 3 weeks today… should be interesting
I believe the players know what's up.. therefore they are playing hard for Bill and also for their next contract especially with all the pending FAs.. I believe it's time for a change as well.. I'm sure it's never an easy decision to part ways with a NFL coaching legend..

Well he let one go in 2020...

BB remains a great coach, just no longer a good roster builder. The effort displayed last night for a 3-11 team in a hostile environment was impressive.

Last night affirmed my feelings about Bill Belichick

That his teams play hard, even in the midst of an 11 loss season

Mistake letting him go

Get him help in the personnel department, but keep him here.

Hasn't swayed me a bit.

Yes, the team plays hard for him still but.....

Special teams has been erratic for 3 years. It's not all on Archord.

BB should no longer be in charge of building the roster - especially with ~$90m to spend.

BB has lost his fastball as a tactical, game -day HC. Clock mgt. Decisions, etc.

He has never been an innovative offensive mind and that is what is required now.
I want someone else buying the groceries. If he wants to stay and have a GM that’s not one of his appointments, then I am ok with him staying for another year or two as HC. I think he’s lost his fastball, game day wise, but taking GM duties off his plate should lighten the load.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back