PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB Pre-Draft Press Conference...

Status
Not open for further replies.
F*ck, I nodded off. Good it's recorded. Have to see what secrets he let out to the media.

I have the responses from Belichick right here:

“Yeah Tom, we will do what’s best for the team.”

“ Uhhhh, yeah Mike, we will do what’s best for the team. “

“Ummm, yes Karen, we will do what is best for the team.”

“I already answered that”

“Mmmm, yeah Bill, we will do what’s best for the team.”

“Uhhh, yes Adidi, what the hell kind of name is that, geesh, we will do what’s best for the team.”

“ ummmm, who the hell names their kid Adidi anyways? We will do what’s best for the team.

I can't be the only one who perked up about trading up based on this comment: BB said, "Only a handful of players out of reach."
I hope that’s a smoke screen because I do not want to trade up. I want to use this great haul of picks and remake the areas that need it.
We thrive with good players on rookie contract. 4 top picks is better than 3 which is better than 2.

I can't be the only one who perked up about trading up based on this comment: BB said, "Only a handful of players out of reach."
There might be a slight leap up a few picks if an elite talent drops but I don't see BB parlaying a ton of picks to net a top pick

I hope that’s a smoke screen because I do not want to trade up. I want to use this great haul of picks and remake the areas that need it.
We thrive with good players on rookie contract. 4 top picks is better than 3 which is better than 2.

He drafts BPA, so there is no guarantee he’s gonna draft a LB, DE, etc with the 23rd pick. He may draft a wide receiver in the first round despite the fact that there is a log jam at WR.

Mike reiss picked up on this as well.

BB is the best, anyone expecting a straight answer will need to ask a football question or not get an answer worth the time they spent saying it.

I think he's more likely to trade one of those 1st rounders back (not far back) to pick up an extra 2nd/3rd. But really, who knows?

Really want to see them get a LB high up. Maybe draft 2.

He drafts BPA, so there is no guarantee he’s gonna draft a LB, DE, etc with the 23rd pick. He may draft a wide receiver in the first round despite the fact that there is a log jam at WR.

Well, "need" does figure into things at some point, possibly even into a prospect's grade in some way.

I mean, it's not as if BB would draft an OT at #23 as the BPA on his board -- and then draft another at #31 because he's now the BPA on the board -- and then a 3rd OT at #43 ...

Sure, that's a ridiculous example (but, hey, I'm a wild and ridiculous guy!), but the point is that the BPA thing can also be taken too literally.

I imagine that somewhere in the War Room there's another "big board" displaying all the players on the current roster - with each of them graded the same way as the prospective draftees, and organized by the various roles they fill in the schemes. So, if BB is on the clock and (hypothetically) looking at a WR who's got a higher grade than any of the other draft prospects (at any position), he's essentially comparing that WR prospect to the rostered WRs and their grades, and asking, "Is this WR prospect graded significantly higher than anyone on the roster?", and, "Might he cover a role (e.g., punt returner) that's currently not covered by more than one player who's already on the roster?"

So, it may be that, at #23, there's a WR available who BB has graded higher than any of the currently rostered WRs, but who's not graded higher enough and/or doesn't cover any roles that aren't currently filled.

OTOH, at, say, #63, he has Dante Pettis as the BPA and has him graded equal to, or slightly higher than, a couple WRs on the roster and notes that Pettis also offers great potential to fill the punt-returner role. At that point, maybe he does select "a WR" in spite of the apparent log jam.

I think he's more likely to trade one of those 1st rounders back (not far back) to pick up an extra 2nd/3rd. But really, who knows?

If they don't like / don't think it's worth getting one of the QBs in this class, I hope they pick BPA at 23 (I would love a LB myself - KVE or Evans) and trade 31 into next year's first round for another shot at a QB then. Would be able to pick up a 3rd or 4th rounder this year as part of that deal, too, so they would still be getting some talent this year.

Bill is the master of one-liners and a very deep thinker.

(When I am in deep thought people believe that I am taking a nap)

Well if HT is healthy we have 2 lbs that are fine with no room for PT for a 3rd.
We definitely need a 3rd for a handful of snaps and depth but I dint know if it’s a first round or 2nd round need. Unless there is a can’t pass up guy like the HT clone from bama I’d rather see other needs filled early.
Unless you are considering a DE in our 4-2-5 base as a 34 OLB and you are discussing that spot.

I have the responses from Belichick right here:

“Uhhh, yes Adidi, what the hell kind of name is that, geesh, we will do what’s best for the team.”

“ ummmm, who the hell names their kid Adidi anyways? We will do what’s best for the team.
Someone who likes Adidas.

Well, "need" does figure into things at some point, possibly even into a prospect's grade in some way.

I mean, it's not as if BB would draft an OT at #23 as the BPA on his board -- and then draft another at #31 because he's now the BPA on the board -- and then a 3rd OT at #43 ...

Sure, that's a ridiculous example (but, hey, I'm a wild and ridiculous guy!), but the point is that the BPA thing can also be taken too literally.

I imagine that somewhere in the War Room there's another "big board" displaying all the players on the current roster - with each of them graded the same way as the prospective draftees, and organized by the various roles they fill in the schemes. So, if BB is on the clock and (hypothetically) looking at a WR who's got a higher grade than any of the other draft prospects (at any position), he's essentially comparing that WR prospect to the rostered WRs and their grades, and asking, "Is this WR prospect graded significantly higher than anyone on the roster?", and, "Might he cover a role (e.g., punt returner) that's currently not covered by more than one player who's already on the roster?"

So, it may be that, at #23, there's a WR available who BB has graded higher than any of the currently rostered WRs, but who's not graded higher enough and/or doesn't cover any roles that aren't currently filled.

OTOH, at, say, #63, he has Dante Pettis as the BPA and has him graded equal to, or slightly higher than, a couple WRs on the roster and notes that Pettis also offers great potential to fill the punt-returner role. At that point, maybe he does select "a WR" in spite of the apparent log jam.
I think needs absolutely is a factor and we often draft players at a position where the starter is aging or on the last year of his contract.
Need TODAY isn’t much of a factor but big picture need is. When you factor in position flexibility and scheme flexibility that makes an awful lot of players that fit “need”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes