PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB gives the league another key blueprint: vs Mahomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've gotta get turnovers and control the time of possession. Otherwise, He's too good to not adjust on the fly. Sometimes a player is just really good and can overcome a great defense. Just like Brady in the Seattle Super Bowl.

Blueprint? KC has a plethora of injuries which is why teams are pseudo limiting him. It is the exact same reason Brady looks sub-par due to our O-line injuries. Rushing 4 and getting pressure has been the blueprint in the NFL for a very long time and having O-line injuries makes the defenses job significantly easier in that regard.

I had said this offseason that Mahomes couldn’t read a defense, but I think I should clarify that didn’t use the correct words to describe it. He can read a defense and recognize coverages well...there is a difference, though, between being able to read and react to a defense and being able to master and manipulate a defense. I don’t think any second or third year player could possibly have a deep, Brady-like understanding that requires a lot of experience and some failures along the way. I also don’t think it’s a given that a player will get to that level through experience either, as few have reached it.

When Mahomes starts taking various personnel groupings and adapting to schemes, overcoming injured teammates, dealing with major protection issues, and not having a slew of pro bowl skill players, then that would show a lot. Right now, he’s talented hat he can win by playing checkers a lot of the time...and I should also clarify that with his talent level, he’ll still be one of league’s best players with or without that mastery.

Eli is an enigma. The guy scored extremely high on the Wonderlic, basically at Mensa level, so he is very intelligent. He had the physical talent...he just couldn’t put it all together consistently. The only constant in his career was inconsistency. One of the strangest careers.
I mean he hasn't played 25 games yet so there's a ton he just hasn't had to deal w. Injuries & such that might effect protection etc its hard to fault someone for something that hasn't happened. He's been nothing short of great. In fact Indy was probably his worst game which is saying something considering how he looked when it ended. Clearly wasn't right.

In terms of manipulating/ID'g coverage, taking advantage of what's in front of him he's just abt as good as anyone not named Brady which is hardly playing checkers.

He routinely holds/moves-influences we defense is front of him to make it easier on his targets. Andy helps a lot but that only goes so far. It's up to Mahomes to do the heavy lifting.

Idk maybe agree to disagree on this one.

Eli sux. He owes Jones a lot. If not for him Eli would be <500 for his career I believe?

I mean he hasn't played 25 games yet so there's a ton he just hasn't had to deal w. Injuries & such that might effect protection etc its hard to fault someone for something that hasn't happened. He's been nothing short of great. In fact Indy was probably his worst game which is saying something considering how he looked when it ended. Clearly wasn't right.

In terms of manipulating/ID'g coverage, taking advantage of what's in front of him he's just abt as good as anyone not named Brady which is hardly playing checkers.

He routinely holds/moves-influences we defense is front of him to make it easier on his targets. Andy helps a lot but that only goes so far. It's up to Mahomes to do the heavy lifting.

Idk maybe agree to disagree on this one.

Eli sux. He owes Jones a lot. If not for him Eli would be <500 for his career I believe?

Disagree? If you want. I think I’ve been extremely complimentary of Mahomes. He looks like an all-time great. My only point is that with any young quarterback, it’s not fair to project their future progression to be good or bad, and with his light experience, the book isn’t out yet in terms of his ability to thrive in a many situations that have yet to present themselves.

I’ve also said it’s crazy to doubt this guy based on one loss with all the injuries and that no one is going to be other worldly every week...but come on, being able to dig deep there and at least put together some competitive drives - when the offense is struggling to move the ball - is a trait of the great ones. I’m guessing this is just a tiny blip being one game, but let’s see. A valid criticism of Rodgers is he doesn’t play as well when playing from behind and winning those ugly “scratch and claw” games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back