PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB gives the league another key blueprint: vs Mahomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good info... though 50 percent vs the blitz isn't too shabby.

He wasn't the same after he aggravated his ankle injury, though I agree that man limits him. Injuries are a hazard with the way he plays.

The crucial thing here is to keep the DLs in front of Mahomes. Keep contain and don’t let him use his legs.

People also need to remember KC played Indy without Hill or Watkins - two guys that would challenge the man to man.

You need to have the players to match the Chiefs guys. I doubt the Colts would have won if Hill and Watkins were in the game. On the other hand, the Pats look to have the guys to do it.

The kind of "blueprint" that holds him to the most passing yards in the NFL, a 114.7 passer rating and 11-0 TD-INT ratio? :)

With all due respect to that awesome Pats gameplan, it looked to me like a gimpy ankle and injured receivers were key components of the "blueprint" that worked for the Colts.

From Monday
"Aggressive, almost exclusive man. I guess more of a controlled aggression in all aspects. From the way you handle their WRs to the rush that makes a point to keep Mahomes in the pocket. Hes great at manipulating & recreating a platform for himself. You want to suffocate a guy like him & not let him work you while his WRs use their speed.

I've watched a ton of them. I wouldn't get too fancy. Broncos, Titans & Cards all had a lil success playing tight man as well going back to last year."

Sounds simple but you have to have the personnel, discipline & adaptability to run w them for 4 quarters, maybe OT.

If you have the personnel to play tight man coverage and pressure with four guys, you’ve found the blueprint against every QB. People are really reaching if they think they’re seeing a trend.

Mahomes is going to dominate the league for many years...though if he gets paid what was rumored as an extension amount (near $40M per year) then a lot of that advantage will be neutralized.

To all those who are saying the chiefs were without their best wrs, the colts were without key members of their defense as well. Detroit almost beat them again last week using the same philosophy.

Hurt him, run for 200 yards, and catch him with three of his top four skill position players out? Have fun replicating that.

If the Patriots win again against the Chiefs, it's because they have the best defense in the league (and shaping up to be one of the best in history) with a good offense helmed by a quarterback who can rise to any occasion. That isn't a goddamn blueprint, it's the entire thing Belichick built towards over the last year because he knows Mahomes is special and the Chiefs are who he must shape a team to beat, like the Manning Colts of old.

Man coverage and pressure with four men is a blueprint against everyone. Manning and Brady at their height didn't do well against it when it worked, see those Giants teams who could bring pressure with four guys.

But, like, how many teams can do that? The Lions did okay because they have the second best CB in football and the Chiefs best WR was out. The Colts did okay because the Chiefs were rollimg out Byron Pringle and DeMarcus Robinson. The Patriots will do okay because they have the best CB in football and maybe three or four other defensive backs in the top 15-20 or so plus a stable of plus pass rushers (including the guy who's probably DPOY after 5 games). But, again, hardly a blueprint.

T. Hill being out has hurt the Chiefs. He kills man coverage with his speed and you need to double team him.

Add in the Colts o line destroying the Chiefs giving the Colts a big edge in time of possession and it was the perfect recipe for beating them. Q. Nelson is one of the biggest studs in years. He’s a monster on the line for them. Most teams don’t have that good of a line.

The things Mahomes does really well is throw on the run while getting away from the pass rush and hitting WRs as they break off their routes.

Those are the things you have to stop. The longer the play goes on the bigger the advantage he has. You want to shorten the play vs Mahomes. That's where you beat him ideally.

So the key is not to rush 4 but rush 5. You should blitz him about half the time if not more. Dare him to play disciplined and see if he can do it for 60 minutes. This also limits the big play.

Every bone in Mahomes body screams at him to extend the play and attack down field and beat you with his arm talent. Those are his strengths. Make him play to other things. If he tries to escape make him go backwards. If he tries to run, keep gap discipline and sack him.

This is why you need to rush 5 and not 4 imo. It forces the ball out faster or he takes negative plays. The issue is you need the DBs who can cover. And LBs who are smart enough to sniff out screen plays.

Last edited:
This reminds me of the claims about a blueprint for beating Brady.

Eh. Chiefs are still the team to beat along with the Pats for the AFC Title.

People also need to remember KC played Indy without Hill or Watkins - two guys that would challenge the man to man.

You need to have the players to match the Chiefs guys. I doubt the Colts would have won if Hill and Watkins were in the game. On the other hand, the Pats look to have the guys to do it.
The Colts were also missing 2 of their starting safeties including Malik Hooker who I believe is one of their Captains, as well as all-pro LB Darius Leonard. I think the injuries even out.

This reminds me of the claims about a blueprint for beating Brady.

Yep. And then the "blueprint" would turn out to be having elite defensive personnel to blanket receivers in man coverage and constantly collapse the pocket without blitzing. Groundbreaking ideas, eh?

Yep. And then the "blueprint" would turn out to be having elite defensive personnel to blanket receivers in man coverage and constantly collapse the pocket without blitzing. Groundbreaking ideas, eh?

Absolutely. And don't forget the killer "if/then":

If it's a pocket passer, then move him off his spot. If it's a scrambling QB, then keep him in the pocket.

I would describe the Colts D with many adjectives. "Elite" is not among them. If you watched the Raiders and Falcons torch them in the previous two weeks you have a pretty good idea what I'm talking about.

What did happen is that somehow, the Colts DC manages to get a lot of talented but very young defensive personnel all rolling hot at the same time.

If you average out the total years of experience of every member of their defensive personnel that took part in the week 5 game at Arrowhead it comes out to less than 2 average years experience. That's a very raw team that lost multiple key veterans in the weeks leading up to that game.

With a number of starters down with injury in the last few weeks the Colts have been running some VERY conservative defensive alignments dominated by a not particularly effective cover 2 zone. That went out the window against the Chiefs and the Colts cut the apron strings and trusted a very young secondary to shine in man coverage -- and they did.

Their D is very young and a bit on the small side, but the Chiefs were built exactly wrong to capitalize on what that style of defense gives you. The way to beat the Colts is to play their game, beat them in the trenches, gash them with the run and take advantage of the passing opportunities that opens up. The Chiefs can't even begin to play that style of football.

It's exactly the sort of gameplan a high power air-based offense struggles with because it's a hard counter to that style of football, designed to neutralize high end talent to ensure the game comes down to who executes their gameplan better. Last Sunday, it was the Colts D by a country mile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes