PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Demeco Ryans and the Texans

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
This seems to be the model we will need to hit similarly in order to get back to winning football. Young defensive assistant with great offensive staff paired with a young franchise QB.

Defensive coaches, from what we’ve seen over the years, need to hit at QB. We saw the difference for Bill once Brady came in, we saw the difference for a guy like Ryans this year landing Stroud. Conversely, look at how miserable Saleh has been lately.

This is why drafting a QB early is so imperative. Obviously, it’s no guarantee the guy will pan out. But that can be said about any player at any position in the draft. We aren’t going anywhere without a good QB. This may be our best opportunity in a long time to land one.

Mayo and Ryans seem to be very similar in many ways. Gives a pretty clear blueprint for how to thrive with a defensive minded coach in 2024.

This seems to be the model we will need to hit similarly in order to get back to winning football. Young defensive assistant with great offensive staff paired with a young franchise QB.

Defensive coaches, from what we’ve seen over the years, need to hit at QB. We saw the difference for Bill once Brady came in, we saw the difference for a guy like Ryans this year landing Stroud. Conversely, look at how miserable Saleh has been lately.

This is why drafting a QB early is so imperative. Obviously, it’s no guarantee the guy will pan out. But that can be said about any player at any position in the draft. We aren’t going anywhere without a good QB. This may be our best opportunity in a long time to land one.

Mayo and Ryans seem to be very similar in many ways. Gives a pretty clear blueprint for how to thrive with a defensive minded coach in 2024.
Agreed. I like the sauce this young team is cooking with (so far..). Plenty of nice/young building blocks, especially at critical positions (HC/QB/WR/LT/DL/CB/S). I’m riding with them as my playoff “Cinderella” team. Love Stroud’s poise/mental makeup.

The Texans simply hit on a franchise QB. They'd probably be in the same spot even if they kept Lovie Smith.
I think Ryans has made clear improvements on their defense. But agree, they would be stuck in the mediocrity.

I think this is an interesting example as well from a standpoint of - very young inexperienced defensive first-time HC, paired with a very young inexperienced first-time OC, paired with a rookie QB. And they were great! Clearly it can work. So the idea that Mayo MUST have a veteran OC with head coach experience is not necessarily correct.

The QB is the big change for them, new blood in coaching BUT...

Go have a look at their schedule.

They played 4 playoff teams.

Their schedule was extremely weak. I could make a case they got 2 extra wins than they otherwise would've if they had a normal NFL schedule.

A new coach doing well Y1 is not uncommon due to the easy schedule resulting from losing the year before. A Y2 correction or not is important to wait for. Look at Brian Daboll at the Giants, Y1 9 - 7 with 1 tie, Y2 6 - 11, Daboll is going backwards after he was praised following Y1.

I think this is an interesting example as well from a standpoint of - very young inexperienced defensive first-time HC, paired with a very young inexperienced first-time OC, paired with a rookie QB. And they were great! Clearly it can work. So the idea that Mayo MUST have a veteran OC with head coach experience is not necessarily correct.
This is the exception not the rule and its all because of lucking out in drafting an ultratalented qb.
Also Ryans was DC with the niners
Mayo was only a LB coach.
They need very experienced coordinators

The difference between Mac Jones year one is the self harm put on this team in year two, I'll wait for Stroud year 3 before saying if he is any good or not.. but unlike Jones it looks good after year 1 because they went out and backed there man properly

The difference between Mac Jones year one is the self harm put on this team in year two, I'll wait for Stroud year 3 before saying if he is any good or not.. but unlike Jones it looks good after year 1 because they went out and backed there man properly
Not to mention they still have Slowick and we replaced McD (poorly).

Texans can thank Caroline Pantsher for them "hitting on a QB".

Main difference is with Ryans we saw, with Mayo we've been told.

We saw Ryans being the head honcho as coordinator. We saw the good stuff, and when bad stuff happened he had nowhere to hide--it was he who was held accountable. No PR necessary, it was all on display.

We've been told Mayo is great for a few years now. His name was always brought up when the defense did well, and never uttered when things went sideways. It reeks of the Kraft PR department preparing the fanbase for a hiring that was decided years ago.

Since Nick Caserio took over they’ve gone through 3 different coaches in three years, hopefully they’ve found their guy now in Ryan’s.

And no, it wasn’t just that they found their franchise QB, because Davis Mills wasn’t amazing but played okay… the team around him and his blocking was horrid. Stroud walked into a much better operation than Mills ever played with.

They were a middling team last season (14th offense/13th defense) that benefited from a weak schedule. They could go either way going forward, we’ll see what they do from here.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back