PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Barring Injuries, Is a Pats-Chiefs AFCCG Inevitable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mahomes can regress and still be an MVP candidate.

Certainly looks that way, if i were to predict right now. Then again this time last year I would have probably predicted NE vs JAX - from what I remember personnel wise they were about the same squad. KC has to prove themselves in terms of sustainability, they could completely flop for all we know and the be those 2018 Jags.
I don't think that's very likely. The Jags being championship contenders was a bit fluky to begin with. Bortles played over his head that year and they managed to keep some real head cases on the straight and narrow for a full season, especially in the secondary. I think they over-regressed a bit last year and will be a bubble contender.

As for the Chiefs, there's some concerns on defense but there's nothing nearly as tenuous about the way they play the game compared to the Jaguars, not the touch-and-go QB play and not the incredible emotional instability on D.

It’s easy to say “the Chiefs aren’t a sure thing”, which is true. But taking the rest of the field vs. the Chiefs to make the AFCC title game is one thing. Going team-by-team (ignoring the Pats) and picking out any one team to be more likely than the Chiefs to make the AFCC is an entirely different thing. I think the latter was OP’s point.

I don't think that's very likely. The Jags being championship contenders was a bit fluky to begin with. Bortles played over his head that year and they managed to keep some real head cases on the straight and narrow for a full season, especially in the secondary. I think they over-regressed a bit last year and will be a bubble contender.
Plus they have a legit QB now.

Pats provided a blueprint.

Pats D also got lit up for 24 points in one quarter. And the Pats are the exception (Not the rule) to most scenarios. Unless Mahomes goes down, I see no way it's not Chiefs Pats in a rematch. That offense is video game type crazy. Studs everywhere.

Mahomes can regress and still be an MVP candidate.

Agreed. And I don't get the sense he's the type of QB who will suffer a sophomore slump. He doesn't seem to have an ego. Seems pretty level headed. Determined.

Every team is still 0-0. No?

Question 1: Do second year players take a second year leap, or take a second year slump? It seems to change post by post.

Question 2: Does a year's worth of film on a player help that much? The entire league has 19 years of film on Tom Brady and it doesn't seem to do jack S***.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back