PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Barmore Among Best in Pass-Rush Win Totals in 2021

A very weird stat. The guys above him, which aren't that much higher in %, have a large discrepancy in sacks (Donald 12.5, Hargrave 7.5, Chris Jones 9.0, Jonathon Allen 9.0). How could you be that close in that category, yet only have 1.5 sacks on the season? If your win rate is that high, it's impossible not to sack the QB. Even Barmore said his goal this year is to finish better getting to the QB.

A very weird stat. The guys above him, which aren't that much higher in %, have a large discrepancy in sacks (Donald 12.5, Hargrave 7.5, Chris Jones 9.0, Jonathon Allen 9.0). How could you be that close in that category, yet only have 1.5 sacks on the season? If your win rate is that high, it's impossible not to sack the QB. Even Barmore said his goal this year is to finish better getting to the QB.

Some of it is luck, some experience, some your opponents/OL & QB. Some OL might be swiss cheese but have a QB hard to sack. Generally if you keep pressuring the QB you'll get sacks. I'd be surprised if he put up those same numbers without more sacks this year.

Honestly sometimes these advanced analytics and metrics get all wacky. The truth is, the guy just passes the eye test as a beast of a player that seems to get a lot of pressures and is constantly making plays.

Don’t get me wrong, Like the data but sometimes it just doesn’t say it all about a player and what he does or means to a team.

Is Barmore going to attend Von Miller's "pass rush academy" which I think is being held around now?

Also what percentage of defensive snaps did Barmore take last year.

Third, there does seem to be a solid group of DT vets out there that would add to the DL room. Hicks (my first choice), Richardson, and Star are all quality guys in a DT rotation. Just as Trey Flowers would be a great edge guy. With every day they don't sign, the price on all these guys are going down.

The fact the Pats haven't signed any of their draft class yet, tells me there are things. that need to be done to create more space. Just how much opens up will show us IF they are gong to do more. Maybe there are just willing to just stay with Godceaux, Baremore, Cowart and Anderson as a base group of bigs and keep that cap space available for NEXT season. Not sure what the strategy is going to be. I'd like to see Hicks and Flowers signed for around $8-10MM combined. with about $6MM counting on this year's cap. We shall see, but their is no hurry or at least there doesn't seem to be any hurry to do anything right now.

On thing that this stat shows us, is just how good the blocking is where most of the BEST DLmen in the league are "winning" LESS than 2 times out of 10. Think on that for a sec

need to pair a stud next to Barmore so he can feast.. was hoping for Travis Jones in draft but hopefully they can bring someone in this year or next to grow with him

Is Barmore going to attend Von Miller's "pass rush academy" which I think is being held around now?

Third, there does seem to be a solid group of DT vets out there that would add to the DL room. Hicks (my first choice), Richardson, and Star are all quality guys in a DT rotation. Just as Trey Flowers would be a great edge guy. With every day they don't sign, the price on all these guys are going down.

The fact the Pats haven't signed any of their draft class yet, tells me there are things. that need to be done to create more space. Just how much opens up will show us IF they are gong to do more. Maybe there are just willing to just stay with Godceaux, Baremore, Cowart and Anderson as a base group of bigs and keep that cap space available for NEXT season. Not sure what the strategy is going to be. I'd like to see Hicks and Flowers signed for around $8-10MM combined. with about $6MM counting on this year's cap. We shall see, but their is no hurry or at least there doesn't seem to be any hurry to do anything right now.

On thing that this stat shows us, is just how good the blocking is where most of the BEST DLmen in the league are "winning" LESS than 2 times out of 10. Think on that for a sec
Unfortunately Hicks recently signed with TB iirc.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian

Hicks has already signed with Tampa Bay.

What about Trey Flowers who already knows the system?

Trey Flowers as well - I assume that Flowers is coming back. I did not include Trey because Barmore is more a DT while Trey is more a DE. Richardson and Lotulelei are more DTs like Barmore. But having two of the three (maybe all three) would be good with Flowers at DE opposite Judon, and Richardson or Lotulelei inside at DT with Barmore. I am not sure if Lotulelei has anything left - Buffalo released him so maybe he is cooked, or maybe he was too expensive and we can sign him cheaper. Lotulelei was OK in 2020.

Look for more 4-3/four man fronts so Barmore is on the field more.

Look for more 4-3/four man fronts so Barmore is on the field more.

If we do have more 4 man fronts, that would mean godchaux, guy, Davis or cowart and barmore rotating at dt.

Why wouldn’t every team we play not spend all game running against that marshmallow interior?

Barmore is the ONLY guy on the defensive line that I had no complaints about. I also thought Daniel Ekuale flashed in his limited snaps. We need another dominant dt to pair with Barmore in the future.

Third, there does seem to be a solid group of DT vets out there that would add to the DL room. Hicks (my first choice), Richardson, and Star are all quality guys in a DT rotation. With every day they don't sign, the price on all these guys are going down.
Hicks signed with the Bucs.
Maybe there are just willing to just stay with Godceaux, Baremore, Cowart and Anderson as a base group of bigs and keep that cap space available for NEXT season.
Yes
I'd like to see Hicks and Flowers signed for around $8-10MM combined. with about $6MM counting on this year's cap.
Hicks alone recently signed for $8M base (up to $10M w/ incentives).

There are 16 teams w/ >$13M in cap space. Pats have $482k.

All of the UFA players (aside from Pats players that re-signed) that they showed interest in signed w/ other teams. It's pretty clear they aren't interested in shifting $$ to 2023 to sign UFA.

My guess is they stand pat or if they do get a vet player is through trades to get players or free up cap space (w/ Agholor & Harry being top trade candidates).

Hicks signed with the Bucs.

Yes

Hicks alone recently signed for $8M base (up to $10M w/ incentives).

There are 16 teams w/ >$13M in cap space. Pats have $482k.

All of the UFA players (aside from Pats players that re-signed) that they showed interest in signed w/ other teams. It's pretty clear they aren't interested in shifting $$ to 2023 to sign UFA.

My guess is they stand pat or if they do get a vet player is through trades to get players or free up cap space (w/ Agholor & Harry being top trade candidates).
Like I said, the Pats haven't signed their draft picks yet because they don't have the room. Most teams have already finished with this task. My guess is that they already come to terms with them all, but are waiting until some restructures are done, or a trade or cut is made.

Cutting Harry would release about 3.2MM if cut or traded. I still find it hard to find a reason why a Harry for Isabella trade shouldn't happen. Also how about a Harry for Calvin RIdley trade. He's of no use to the Falcons being suspended this season (massive overkill by the league btw , especially given their light taps on the wrist to the likes of Watson, Hill, and Rothlesberger.. The league has been "investigating" Watson for going on 2 years with no definitive results). With this trade the Falcons get a usable WR for a guy that's not going to play this year. The Pats get a huge queston mark with #1 WR talent in 2023. Might work.

If we do have more 4 man fronts, that would mean godchaux, guy, Davis or cowart and barmore rotating at dt.

Why wouldn’t every team we play not spend all game running against that marshmallow interior?
Teams ran it down that marshmallow interior last year when they were in their 3 man odd fronts last year. While Barmore didn't fare well against the run last year, you have to find ways to get him on the field more. You can't have arguably your 2nd best DL standing on the sidelines.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back