PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BaconGrudleCandy the draft God

Well when you're working for the Patriots can you get me a job? ;)

To your first point. I don't really worry about ranking guys 1-10. I have 2 kinds of rankings. Tier (with slight preferences within the tier) and positional value rankings.

For instance, a lot of people including you agreed that Nelson was one of, if not the, best player in the draft. I didn't really look at him closely. I gave him a quick look like all draftniks. My conclusion was this. If people want to call him the best player I won't argue.

Here is my point on that. While he may be the best player he isn't close to the most valuable.

I would have taken no less than 20 prospects over him. Even if you could guarantee me he would be just as good as Zack Martin I would take him no higher than 15th.

Guards just don't impact the game the way other positions can. It's just that simple. Guards don't win you games. They lose you games. I want players that can win me games if i am picking that high. Isaiah Oliver was taken at what? 55? He will go on to much a much more impactful career than Nelson even if he becomes the best guard in the NFL for a time.

I know a lot of people with disagree on with me on that. But it is just how i see the game. This is a passing league and the guard is more about the running game

However, back to more about what you said. I agree that having guys in the right general tier is the important part. It is hard enough to pick who will be good, bad or average in the NFL. To expect someone to be able to correctly order that is asking too much. There is no way to possible know such detail. I like the grades cause they show who you prefer within a tier but beyond that I don't think anyone should hold it against any other draftnik that player A hit more than player B when both were correctly predicted to hit.

As for your 2nd point. Some people either don't have an eye for it or over thinking. I think people get WAY too hung up on scheme fit. In the end it is just 11 guys playing football. Don't over think it.

Agreed on all points I guess.
Tbh I agree wholeheartedly w what you said about rankings. They matter to a degree but I'm more concerned getting everyone in the right neighborhood, moreso home.

I never tried to add positional value but I've always been curious about how they would turn out. I wanted to grade just the player to try & gage just their strengths/concerns but again I've been curious.

Tbh I think you could add (x points) from highest-lowest.
QB, Rush, CB, IDL etc

For instance I'd always have a hard time taking WR/RB/TE early unless their truly special players. Even then Idk. Always wanted to see how that would work out.

Brought this up before but I'm curious about others opinions on a strict OL/DL/QB/CB/S philosophy in the first 2nd rds?

Not necessarily in that order but you get the point. Most important positions by far.

Let me see if I have this correct?

We let solder, a solid tackle, go to the giants for $66 million, but we spent $50 million to keep mason, a guy with all kinds of pass protection problems? Why?

The question becomes will we resign Brown at left tackle. Cannon is a banana and needs to leave town after the season.

Wynn can play right tackle next season and we can draft the right tackle from Washington. The guy is a beast.

Either defensive tackle from Clemson would be a huge win for us.

Have to take a look at some of these recent classes

Steelers & NE haven't had much luck w DB's.

Steelers & NE haven't had much luck w DB's.

2010–1 Devin McCourty [good]
2011–2 Ras-I Dowling [injury]
2011–7 Malcolm Williams [eh]
2012–2 Tavon Wilson [sucked]
2012–6 Nate Ebner [good STs]
2012–7 Alfonzo Dennard [eh]
2013–3 Logan Ryan [good]
2013–3 Duron Harmon [good]
2014–6 Jemea Thomas [didn't make 53]
2015–2 Jordan Richards [bust]
2015–7 Darryl Roberts [didn't make 53]
2016–2 Cyrus Jones [injury/bust]
2018–2 Duke Dawson [TBA]
2018–7 Keion Crossen [TBA]

That said, most of them are still in the NFL (Dowling, Williams, Dennard, and Thomas are not).

Also, FWIW, the UDFAs:
2010: Sergio Brown, Ross Ventrone, Terrence Johnson
2013: Stephon Morris, Brandon Jones, Kanorris Davis
2014: Travis Hawkins, Malcolm Butler
2015: Brandon King
2016: V'Angelo Bentley, Cre'Von LeBlanc, Jonathan Jones, Devonta Burns
2017: David Jones, Jason Thompson, Damarius Travis, Kenny Moore,
Dwayne Thomas, D.J. Killings
2018: J.C. Jackson, A.J. Moore

2010–1 Devin McCourty [good]
2011–2 Ras-I Dowling [injury]
2011–7 Malcolm Williams [eh]
2012–2 Tavon Wilson [sucked]
2012–6 Nate Ebner [good STs]
2012–7 Alfonzo Dennard [eh]
2013–3 Logan Ryan [good]
2013–3 Duron Harmon [good]
2014–6 Jemea Thomas [didn't make 53]
2015–2 Jordan Richards [bust]
2015–7 Darryl Roberts [didn't make 53]
2016–2 Cyrus Jones [injury/bust]
2018–2 Duke Dawson [TBA]
2018–7 Keion Crossen [TBA]

That said, most of them are still in the NFL (Dowling, Williams, Dennard, and Thomas are not).

Also, FWIW, the UDFAs:
2010: Sergio Brown, Ross Ventrone, Terrence Johnson
2013: Stephon Morris, Brandon Jones, Kanorris Davis
2014: Travis Hawkins, Malcolm Butler
2015: Brandon King
2016: V'Angelo Bentley, Cre'Von LeBlanc, Jonathan Jones, Devonta Burns
2017: David Jones, Jason Thompson, Damarius Travis, Kenny Moore,
Dwayne Thomas, D.J. Killings
2018: J.C. Jackson, A.J. Moore
1st list isn't the greatest imo but it's clear NE is as good as anyone when it comes to udfa.

Top 3 Rush guys is always nice

Landry isn't even starting & probably has less than 12 games worth of snaps.

Chubb is having an incredible year that's on par w Mack.

Davenport has beasted at times too. Again I thought his upside might be as a run defender & it's been there this year.

Landry, Hubbard & Carter all day available after RD1.

Chubb

Last edited:

Davenport has beasted at times too. Again I thought his upside might be as a run defender & it's been there this year.

Thought Hubbard clearly fit our profile. Ah well.

Gave him a HOF grade I believe or very close to it. Doubt he makes it there but he's been great. Pretty sure Solly Thomas is the only miss in that category.

Do you think Thomas issue is the scheme? Or just not what people thought he would of been?

Two of those guys I badly wanted us to get! Lorenzo Carter is The one that got away for us I feel.. @reamer

Do you think Thomas issue is the scheme? Or just not what people thought he would of been?
Scheme is a factor but it's more about missing on his projection. At least rn. I don't think he's a bust but just overdrafted big time.

Tough grading a guy that high that can't bend.

Seems to my view like the PAC-12 stars over the past 15 years regularly underperform in the NFL versus their draft ratings. I feel the same way about Bama’s stars under Saban. So many of them peak at age 20 or 21 in the protected environments, but the draft is obviously about projecting them in radically different environments

Scouts are absolutely worth their weight in gold for the NFL!

Seems to my view like the PAC-12 stars over the past 15 years regularly underperform in the NFL versus their draft ratings. I feel the same way about Bama’s stars under Saban. So many of them peak at age 20 or 21 in the protected environments, but the draft is obviously about projecting them in radically different environments

Scouts are absolutely worth their weight in gold for the NFL!
Idk I think lately Bama has done alright? Seems all their IDL are all playing well. Reed, Robinson, Payne, Allen have all been vg.

Humphrey is someone I really liked & I think he's been pretty good. Henry has done pretty well.

I have to find the time to really go over the last 3-4 drafts & see how things are shaping up.

Updated with new numbers for 2016. Bacon does it again like a boss. The best in the business.
Dude I've been thinking about you. I swear last week I was going to bump this thread asking you to look over some grades & please let me send you a few $ over pp/V for your fav drink or w/e you want. Nothing huge just a lil something.

Had a few pm about my grades this year. Rn sux but I'm shooting for end of the week.

(And I'm not taking no Bob)

Dude I've been thinking about you. I swear last week I was going to bump this thread asking you to look over some grades & please let me send you a few $ over pp/V for your fav drink or w/e you want. Nothing huge just a lil something.

Had a few pm about my grades this year. Rn sux but I'm shooting for end of the week.

(And I'm not taking no Bob)

I'm always willing to check out your grades and thoughts on players. As for compensation, I think getting all your content for free is more than enough. . I feel like we all should be all be sending you $9.99 a month (if not more). That be one of the cheaper draft subscriptions you could get, your content should come at a premium.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back