PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

B.G.C. 2019 NFL Draft/Patriot-Type Players Thread

Anthony Ratliff-Williams has great traits. But his career numbers are 80 catches for 1340 yards (16.8 ypc) and 8 TDs. That's a good season for some of the top guys. I'm going back over his film to review what will translate to the pros, and I do like his hands and YAC, but he's not a very refined or varied route runner from what I've seen. I'm not comfortable putting him as the top guy, but I'll update once I do a full rewatch of his season.

EDIT: He's a Jarvis Landry type player. Good underneath receiver, excellent physicality and shiftiness, great YAC, etc. He struggles immensely to separate downfield on posts and corners, however, and I don't like his jump ball ability on fades, either. A lot of his production comes from hitches, or motioning across the formation and then receiving a bubble screen, quick-hit throws off 3-step drops, etc. I actually like him as a tenacious (though technically unrefined) blocker and an ideal tough guy who can play over the MoF. Anyone putting him #1 in the class is delusional, though. I'm sorry.

Last edited:
Anthony Ratliff-Williams has great traits. But his career numbers are 80 catches for 1340 yards (16.8 ypc) and 8 TDs. That's a good season for some of the top guys. I'm going back over his film to review what will translate to the pros, and I do like his hands and YAC, but he's not a very refined or varied route runner from what I've seen. I'm not comfortable putting him as the top guy, but I'll update once I do a full rewatch of his season.

Yeah I don't agree with Emory, but I understand his reasoning since many have D.K. Metcalf rated the top WR prospect with 1228 career receiving yards.

D.K. Metcalf College Stats   College Football at Sports Reference.com.png

D.K. Metcalf College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

From what I also understand UNC QB situation was terrible which didn't allow Ratliff-Williams physical receiving presence to stand out. He has to work on his route running, but he still look more advanced doing them than Hakeem Butler.

Along with his good blocking efforts and kick returning abilities, I would be okay with drafting him later in the draft.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/05/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-anthony-ratliff-williams/

Yeah I don't agree with Emory, but I understand his reasoning since many have D.K. Metcalf rated the top WR prospect with 1228 career receiving yards.

View attachment 22611

D.K. Metcalf College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

From what I also understand UNC QB situation was terrible which didn't allow Ratliff-Williams physical receiving presence to stand out. He has to work on his route running, but he still look more advanced doing them than Hakeem Butler.

Along with his good blocking efforts and kick returning abilities, I would be okay with drafting him later in the draft.

2019 NFL Draft Player Profile: Anthony Ratliff-Williams - The Draft Network

The difference with Metcalf is that he can stretch the field, and he's physically dominating. I'm not sure if you saw my edit, so here are my thoughts after watching 6 of ARW's games:

He's a Jarvis Landry type player. Good underneath receiver, excellent physicality and shiftiness, great YAC, etc. He struggles immensely to separate downfield on posts and corners, however, and I don't like his jump ball ability on fades, either. A lot of his production comes from hitches, or motioning across the formation and then receiving a bubble screen, quick-hit throws off 3-step drops, etc. I actually like him as a tenacious (though technically unrefined) blocker and an ideal tough guy who can play over the MoF. Anyone putting him #1 in the class is delusional, though. I'm sorry.

I wouldn't say delusional...more like way out there in left field:)

I'm being nice too because I didn't see much athleticism in his film like you

I like Emory's videos because he showcases many small school prospects which is really helpful during draft season.

I wouldn't say delusional...more like way out there in left field:)

I'm being nice too because I didn't see much athleticism in his film like you

His kick returns really show a lack of speed. Aside from a few long ones he broke, I was surprised how frequently he was bottled up before 20 yards. Watching him try to attack the seam was also a bit depressing. He doesn't seem to have the juice or jumps to separate or go over a defender. Don't get me wrong, I think he can be a nice complementary piece, and I have no concerns about his competitive toughness, but I'd consider him as a fringe draftable player. Maybe I'm being too harsh, but 5th - 7th seems appropriate.

Compare him to someone like Lil'Jordan Humphrey, who has much better hand placement on run blocks, lines up inside and outside, runs similar routes but with better footwork, and actually creates separation downfield -- he also shows some understanding of how to sit down in zones instead of just continuing to run himself out of the passing window. He's able to high point the ball, shows some nasty YAC ability, and actually does pretty well on kick returns, too. Give me LJH in the 3rd over ARW in the 5th.

His kick returns really show a lack of speed. Aside from a few long ones he broke, I was surprised how frequently he was bottled up before 20 yards.

I was suprised no one caught him during those kick return TDs....maybe he's much faster than he appears on film.

I hope Bacon doesn't mind me posting this in his thread.

Here are a series of position ranking videos from Football Gameplan. Emory's rankings go against the norm of those that are found on draft blogs and sites, which I love even though I don't agree with him many times. But he also gives attention and background on small school prospects who haven't been covered much, and still could find their way into many teams' training camps after the draft.

Don't mind at all. Draft related keep it coming

I like Emory & this definitely isn't a shot but I think he's more interested in helping small school prospecta than being right. Kinda like how Kiper is only concerned w whos getting drafted rd1 not whos the actual best players.
I can respect Emory even if I disagree w how he might approach this craziness. I'm small minded & more interested in being right :eek::rolleyes:

I'm a big fan of some of his guys though. Love Hall, Doss & Custis for WR in mid-late Rd

Does anyone have an opinion on Christian Miller?

He always seemed to flash when I watched other players on that Alabama defense. I see him, depending on how his athleticism tests, useful in the Van Noy role as a LB/situational pass rusher. Plus I don't think we would have to use a high draft pick on him due to his injury history.
Big fan of both him & Jennings. Honestly not sure about the role but both are PTP imo.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back