PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante on the market

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Duane Starks still available? I bet we can get him even cheaper.

I don't think you should be that surprised. It has never been popular to sign a guy who has a large price tag to this team and also give up a pick for them. Especially a guy so easy to spot flaws in as Samuel is. Yes he has fantastic ball skills i don't think anyone can say he doesn't. But he is a gambler and he either wins big with the pick or can lose very big with an easy TD

If Samuel was making something in the range of Deion Branch or Gostkowski money - $1.5 to $2.2 million against the cap, he'd be interesting to consider bringing back. He's got good cover skills and produces takeaways. But at what the Eagles gave him, forget it. The Eagles went nuts the last few years with certain mammoth contracts and now they lack depth and have huge weaknesses. Look at what they're paying Vick - ridiculous for a guy who can barely finish a game. They look like the Jets that way.

Last edited:
polls_do_not_want_dog_1441_149149_answer_3_xlarge.jpeg

Sure. Why not. I mean, he only irreparably damaged my psyche & mental well-being forever with his Bill Buckner impression, so why wouldn't I want him back. I can't wait. Let's get him.

images

:bricks:

He catches it, it's over. Just what I wanted to see on a rainy day.

When you act like you're the man (with a "get paid" tattoo, no less)... it tends to draw criticism.

The tattoo should read "get played" because, Asante isn't as good as he apparently thinks he is. Maybe the dumb bastard could have learned to tackle before he becomes a prima donna sack of **** !

Asante doesn't have a "get paid" tattoo. That's a false rumor that was debunked years ago. Please read this:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england.../63548-asante-samuel-tattoo-not-get-paid.html

Again I swear I'm not his mother but he's getting way too much undeserved hate around here. I don't think he's a bad guy and I wouldn't mind him returning to the Pats if the price was right. The secondary needs all the help it can get right now.

If Samuel was making something in the range of Deion Branch or Gostkowski money - $1.5 to $2.2 million against the cap, he'd be interesting to consider bringing back. He's got good cover skills and produces takeaways. But at what the Eagles gave him, forget it. The Eagles went nuts the last few years with certain mammoth contracts and now they lack depth and have huge weaknesses. Look at what they're paying Vick - ridiculous for a guy who can barely finish a game. They look like the Jets that way.

Of coarse, he woudl be then getting 2-3 cb money and as a 2-3 cb he is extremely talented.

The whole picture is you take on a huge contract/ego and get a very talented but flawed player. There are pros and cons to every trade scenario but i personally would like to stick it our with DMC, Bodden, Arrington and Ras-I and see where that gets me.

I'd take him in a heartbeat. People seem to forget how good he was in a Patriot uniform. His tackling was not atrocious as many think either. It's not spectacular or even above average, but his coverage skills were and he did seem to be able to shut down his receiver quite a bit in the passing game.

I find it hard to believe why people dislike him so much. Anyway it's over,he's not coming here and his contract wouldn't fit in our cap anyway. Plus we have some good players right now in the secondary that are coming along nicely.

I was sad to see us not make a run at the safety position though. I like the marked improvement James Ihedigbo has shown but we are an injury away from being crap again at that position.

How much a player makes, the salary cap, and a team's budget has never been of any relevance to fans on a message board ... any and every player that might be available as either a free agent or a trade is a sure thing, and the key to a championship. :rolleyes:

I'd take him in a heartbeat. People seem to forget how good he was in a Patriot uniform. His tackling was not atrocious as many think either. It's not spectacular or even above average, but his coverage skills were and he did seem to be able to shut down his receiver quite a bit in the passing game.

I find it hard to believe why people dislike him so much. Anyway it's over,he's not coming here and his contract wouldn't fit in our cap anyway. Plus we have some good players right now in the secondary that are coming along nicely.

I was sad to see us not make a run at the safety position though. I like the marked improvement James Ihedigbo has shown but we are an injury away from being crap again at that position.

The reason people were upset with Samuel was the in-your-face way he got the tattoo and became a mercenary with no regard for the opportunity he got with the Patriots to be a good CB and have a shot at a ring or two. He could have handled it very differently but chose to put himself ahead of the team. It's not that he left - lots of guys go where the best deal is - it's how he went about it.

The reason people were upset with Samuel was the in-your-face way he got the tattoo and became a mercenary with no regard for the opportunity he got with the Patriots to be a good CB and have a shot at a ring or two. He could have handled it very differently but chose to put himself ahead of the team. It's not that he left - lots of guys go where the best deal is - it's how he went about it.

He went out like a buffoon, just like Ty Law and D Branch. Yet just like Branch and all the haters that were so glad to see him fail miserably in Seattle are welcoming him back with open arms now that he is producing for the Patriots again. I'm pretty sure if Asante found his way back here and played good cover defense again the tune would change to a bugle reverly.

I always dismissed the criticism of Asante's near-INT because it looked like Asante was out of bounds on the TV.

Wow, he really wasn't.

Also, I think I intentionally avoided finding out the real answer.

Also on the helmet catch , Tyree was his man. When he came up to cover Eli's scramble, Rodney got posterized.

Yes, I'm trying to forget too, but thought I should share my pain.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes