PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

As much as I absolutely hate to say it, Brady has not been playing well this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
as much as I absolutely hate to say it...Brady just flew in from Vegas (and man, are his arms tired)*rimshot*

He went from a bunch of vets on offense (Edelman, Gronk, Hogan, Allen) to Edelman + a bunch of inexperienced and/or new guys (Meyers, Sanu, Harry, Lacosse) and then had one of the top LTs and centers in the league last year (Brown and Andrews), to a bottom 3 LT (Newhouse) and ordinary, first-year center (Karras). Michel has also underperformed relative to his draft status, although that's in-part due to the OL, blocking TEs I've mentioned, plus Devlin on IR.

"As much as I absolutely hate to say it, Brady has not been playing well this year."

Why is it I'm skeptical of that statement?
I don't believe for an instant you "hate" saying it.

Last edited:
We have been stuck with Marshall Newhouse for the past 9 weeks. Newhouse is playing for his 7th team for a reason. Watching Brady with that kind of protection against a nasty philly front 7 was painful. Philly exploited it the most but Newhouse has been a major liability all year.
There have been times when the defender has gone around Newhouse without him getting so much as a finger on the guy. That's just ridiculous.

First post. But let’s look at facts:

1. Starting C : out for year
2. Starting FB: out for year
3. Starting LT: missed 8/9 weeks
4. HOF TE from last year retired
5. Best WR is a slot receiver

So yeah, offense was going to take a step back, no matter how good TB plays. obviously these factors are greatly impacting TB productivity

Chaos on line and in receiving corp. He does not seem as mentally resilient though. He has a history of getting a bit hissy but usually grounds himself again. Its been longer this time. He seems blind to why AB had to go.

Except, AB didn't have to go. He's right to be upset.

His best game of the year so far passing wise has actually been game 1 against the Steelers. People have been so caught up on how good the defense has been playing that they have not thought about how Tom has been playing this year. He has never had a passer rating that is below the league average in his entire 20 year career. So far, however that has been the case, his passer rating so far is actually lower than it was in 2013 which was a hard year because of the likes of Aaron Dropson and Thompkins. I really hope this isnt the cliff and it's because of the offensive line not giving him the time he has been accustomed to in recent years or the lack of reliable weapons similar to 2013. The eagles were blanketing edelman almost the entire game, Harry is still getting accustomed to the system and Sanu was not able to get much separation throughout the game. You could say that the lack of Gronk is also causing the offense to look anemic but Brady did not have Gronk for most of 2016 and thrived in the games that he played. I seriously hope it is not the cliff and Wynn comes back and we see the Brady of old late in the season and during the playoffs because if it is the cliff, Pats are in trouble. Offense playing like it did last sunday will not cut it against Baltimore or even Kansas City. If last year's offense played against this Ravens team, it probably would have been a shootout and a win but the offense is simply not what it has been and they will have to figure it out in order to compete in the playoffs against the league's best teams. Defense can only carry you so far.

You're right. If Brady was playing well we'd be smashing it this season. Instead we're 9-1.

Lack of taller than 5’10” receiver’s? See 2003.
Excellent point - but can an NFL championship team still get away with that 16 years later?

Time will tell, we shall see over the next 11 weeks.

Wait so we can’t do no huddle with Meyers or Harry? That’s not good.

Myers couldn't even run his route properly. How is he going to go no huddle?

Harry............ he's probably still learning the playbook.

And Gunner.......... nm he's gone.

5. Best WR is a slot receiver

So yeah, offense was going to take a step back, no matter how good TB plays. obviously these factors are greatly impacting TB productivity
Not a bad first post. Welcome to the board.

3b. Replacement LT was a disaster.

You do understand that passer rating is an arbitrary formula created so novice fans could have a shortcut to compare statistics they don’t understand very well, right?

Shhhhh!!! Putting two and two together is hard for some people. Be nice. Let them wallow around in their puddle of spit.

Except, AB didn't have to go. He's right to be upset.
I disagree, AB had to go but either way, this has gone beyond a reasonable period into hissy territory. To quote a great man, it is what it is.

I disagree, AB had to go but either way, this has gone beyond a reasonable period into hissy territory. To quote a great man, it is what it is.

I guess you'll have an apoplectic fit once AB returns.

Floating_Ghosts.gif

I probably mistook your post.

i think so. The OP is blaming Brady for the offense not firing all cylinders and I responded by saying we are missing talent because of injuries but the team is still battling every game. So it’s not like there’s a lack of effort and aside from players returning from injuries, it’s hard to expect more from a team that is 9-1.

Brady is fine. It’s the O-line that has turned him into a contestant for “Dancing with the Stars”. Anybody that has played QB knows how distracting it is to think about someone in your face which forces you to take your off of your receivers.

Bad O-line play doesn’t allow plays to develop which is why you see Brady throw the ball in the dirt. I joke about him doing this but this why.

The WR’s aside from Edelman and occasionally Dorsett can’t get open on a consistent basis. AB is a rare talent and can get open off the snap. That game in Miami where he was leaving dudes in that dust was a huge tease to Brady.

Sanu is a veteran that can help but don’t expect him to be a #1 type WR. He’s decent at best.

Harry will eventually get more looks.

He looked off last game for sure. As for the rest I’m not sure. I think the problems with the offense aren’t allowing him to succeed.

Take last years offense and subtract the great running game... and the best linemen... and Gronk...and make your top receiver a year older.

What’s a left is a seriously lacking offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back