PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Article] Should BB and BK trade Zappe?

Seems that article is based off someone from Bleacher Report talking about one player from each of the 32 teams that he thinks should be traded.

To answer: absolutely not. He cites examples of QBs that got dealt but not the context behind them:

- Matt Cassel: was at end of his rookie contract after filling in for Tom Brady in 2008, would’ve been too expensive to keep as a backup so he was traded to KC along with Mike Vrabel for the pick the Pats ended up using on Patrick Chung.

- Jacoby Brissett: traded for Phillip Dorsett and already had a surplus at QB, and Colts needed a QB with Andrew Luck being out for the season with a shoulder injury.

- Jimmy Garoppolo: was in final year of contract and decided to get value in return for him rather than let him walk in free agency or use a franchise tag on him and force to find a trade partner

Zappe doesn’t have enough tape on him to fetch much in return, has shown he can be an effective fallback option for Mac, and is only into his second year of his rookie contract. He has more value to the Pats than he does elsewhere.

Zappe doesn’t have enough tape on him to fetch much in return,
Jimmy only played 1.5 games and Bill got a 2nd rounder in return.

“Patriots Urged to Trade Promising Quarterback”

I wouldn’t blame anyone if they stopped reading after this title.

“As the old saying goes, if you have two quarterbacks, you don’t truly have one,”

So by trading one of them will mean you now have a QB? Probably the most idiotic cliche in football.

“As the old saying goes, if you have two quarterbacks, you don’t truly have one,”

So by trading one of them will mean you now have a QB? Probably the most idiotic cliche in football.
He says that while positing that several teams would love Zappe as a backup.

Dumb article. Everyone on the team is trade-able - for the right price.

Imagine Mac doesn’t take that next step and Zappe does with another team?
Bill wouldn’t survive that move.

Jimmy only played 1.5 games and Bill got a 2nd rounder in return.
Jimmy had the draft pedigree advantage (2nd rd vs 4th rd), more years in the system, and was Brady’s understudy. Two completely different situations.

Jimmy had the draft pedigree advantage (2nd rd vs 4th rd), more years in the system, and was Brady’s understudy. Two completely different situations.
Jimmy had hype…for no real reason.

Stupid article. The author says that other teams would trade with the Patriots because they lack a viable backup yet thinks the Patriots should be comfortable with McSorely and Cunningham? All that would do is solve someone else's backup problem while creating one in New England. I'd consider it for a starting caliber player at one of our acknowledged weak points (primarily tackle), but no team is going to create a starting hole on their own roster going into camp in order to pick up a backup quarterback.

I think it was that it raised eyebrows how early Brady’s supposed successor was drafted. Not as much expectation placed on Zappe.

No, unless someone overpays.
I'd like to keep him around as .. this is the NFL injury is part of the game.. we saw this last year with Mac's ankle.. he's definitely needed on this roster. Not many teams fan say they have capable back ups ready to step in.

Against my better judgement, I read the article. It’s just a filler blurb piece.

Mentions getting a mid round pick back for a fourth round pick two years ago. I’d consider it a pretty barren cupboard in the qb room if he were dealt, as opposed to the author.

Harmless article in a slow time of year. My personal opinion is that he’s better than our two other alternatives at backup and is worth more in that capacity than would fetch in a trade.

Last edited:
Against my better judgement, I read the article. It’s just a filler blurb piece.

Mentions getting a mid round pick back for a fourth round pick two years ago. I’d consider it a pretty barren cupboard in the qb room if he were dealt, as opposed to the author.

Harmless article in a slow time of year. My personal opinion is that he’s better than our two other alternative at backup and is worth more in that capacity than would fetch in a trade.
Agreed... training camp can't come soon enough...

Hype? Remember the talking points - 1. We should trade Brady and 2. JG was worth two 1sts and instead BB traded him to his friend. Turned out that the 49ers brass is awful at assessing QB talent.

The question is whether we keep one of two backups who can fill in. (IMO we should have 3 QB's. at least 2 on the 53 man roster.

Anyone who thinks that we should trade Zappe should be forced to watch the SF playoff games, over and over.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back