PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Article: Curious Offensive Playcalls in Loss

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I'm glad this article calls out things. McDaniels play calls were messed up. Red Zone issues going on 4 weeks now. Offense improved when McDaniels let Cam make more intermediate passes in the second half. Also the onside kick by Belichick was baffling and lost all the momentum.

" Patriots had another issue that was difficult to overcome during the Bills loss — a few head-scratchers for coaching decisions.

Josh McDaniels’ offensive play-calling was conservative to a fault during the 24-21 loss, especially in the first half."

Reminded me of the Special Olympics-sized, momentum-killing & game-losing pooch KO vs Chip Kelly's Fecals in Foxborough in 2015,
after Pats had just taken a 14-0 lead early in first half...

I'm glad this article calls out things. McDaniels play calls were messed up. Red Zone issues going on 4 weeks now. Offense improved when McDaniels let Cam make more intermediate passes in the second half. Also the onside kick by Belichick was baffling and lost all the momentum.

" Patriots had another issue that was difficult to overcome during the Bills loss — a few head-scratchers for coaching decisions.

Josh McDaniels’ offensive play-calling was conservative to a fault during the 24-21 loss, especially in the first half."
Of course he is conservative he had a QBs who sucks and makes the wrong play at the worst time. You act like it was wrong to call the game that way. Have you been watching the QB this year?

Brady did a great job hiding deficits at the OC position.

Massive deficits at the OC coordinator role. Brian Daboll on Buffalo is a better OC. And Byron Leftwich is a better HC candidate. I hope Belichick stays another 10 yrs because we are screwed if McDaniels is next. I'd rather have one of the Belichick kids take over.

Cam Cant Throw.

Say that 10 times real fast.

The reason why Cam did not have another INT vs Buffalo is because he is on a very short leash where he isnt as much of a liability. The Pats offense is a dink and dunk offense and NFLs defenses know it. Cam is the "One Man Show" who is more comfortable as Superman running around everywhere. Mobile QBs always resort to their running instincts when under duress because they cannot hang in the pocket and make a pass play and because they do NOT want to throw the ball away.

Cam is the 5th rated rushing QB.
Cam is the 29th rated passing QB.

Tanking 101......duh

Since you can't ask players to dump games...

1) Sign a sub 60% accuracy passer who can't read defenses and carries the ball like a loaf of Wonder Bread
2) Put effective players in doghouse (Winovich)
3) Have medical personnel suddenly discover injuries (Edelman, Gilmore)
4) Cancel practices
5) Deploy a fleet of undrafted WRs
6) Refuse to use LBs on defense
7) Call running play on 3rd and 12
8) Always on side kick if your team shows signs of life

and soon to come

9) Trade best players

Last edited:
Tanking 101......duh

Since you can't ask players to dump games...

1) Sign a sub 60% accuracy passer who can't read defenses and carries the ball like a loaf of Wonder Bread
2) Put effective players in doghouse (Winovich)
3) Have medical personnel suddenly discover injuries (Edelman, Gilmore)
4) Cancel practices
5) Deploy a fleet of undrafted WRs
6) Refuse to use LBs on defense
7) Call running play on 3rd and 12
8) Always on side kick if your team shows signs of life

and soon to come

9) Trade best players

And with a great RB in Harris, great run blocking OLine, and the greatest running QB ever in Cam Newton, play zero RPO or play action in the red zone through half the season. Or maybe that's not tanking it's just idiocy from the OC.

Massive deficits at the OC coordinator role. Brian Daboll on Buffalo is a better OC. And Byron Leftwich is a better HC candidate. I hope Belichick stays another 10 yrs because we are screwed if McDaniels is next. I'd rather have one of the Belichick kids take over.

I totally expected us to win on Sunday.

My feeling is that the coaches are hypnotized by media blather about how the Patriots are massive underdogs and suck, and thus are compelled to call unnecessary desperation plays which even if they work signal to everyone that the team doesn't believe in itself and can't win playing straight up practical football, which is patently false. The Patriots can beat any team in the AFC today, based on everything I've seen this year. I know Cam has his faults like any QB but the only game we couldn't have won was SF when we had a bad day.

We can win. Stop reading the papers and tighten up the two minute offense.

I totally expected us to win on Sunday.

My feeling is that the coaches are hypnotized by media blather about how the Patriots are massive underdogs and suck, and thus are compelled to call unnecessary desperation plays which even if they work signal to everyone that the team doesn't believe in itself and can't win playing straight up practical football, which is patently false. The Patriots can beat any team in the AFC today, based on everything I've seen this year. I know Cam has his faults like any QB but the only game we couldn't have won was SF when we had a bad day.

We can win. Stop reading the papers and tighten up the two minute offense.

Agree. Pats looked unstoppable when they gave it to Harris most of the time, and also let Cam have run/pass options. This Oline is very good at run blocking.

Read an article on BB kicking the on-side kick. In the past, opponents would try the unconventional as they knew they were playing the Patriots. The Patriots would always win these games by a few points. Now, the table has turned and it's the Patriots that are losing and they try the unconventional.

Surely you can't be serious...

Surely you can't be serious...
Well, you got Parcells, then Belichick took the reigns after that...fortunately, here.

I don't know what happens after Bill. Josh has his problems. I know I want the culture of doing your best and putting the team first to remain right here in Foxboro.

The game plans for the most part have been decent, they only shat the bed in one game, they were in every other game but poor execution, missed block here and there, fumble and that's on the players.

Well, you got Parcells, then Belichick took the reigns after that...fortunately, here.

I don't know what happens after Bill. Josh has his problems. I know I want the culture of doing your best and putting the team first to remain right here in Foxboro.
Captain Obvious says: Depending on how BB does with this team will determine the fate of his coaching staff. If a next dynasty is born, one of his son's will take over when BB calls it a day.

But every time I look at your Avatar, I get angry at the uniforms this team is sporting right now. They are still so damn ugly and I can't get over it!

Captain Obvious says: Depending on how BB does with this team will determine the fate of his coaching staff. If a next dynasty is born, one of his son's will take over when BB calls it a day.

But every time I look at your Avatar, I get angry at the uniforms this team is sporting right now. They are still so damn ugly and I can't get over it!
Kraft's married to them.

Think David Stern and the 2-3-2 NBA Finals format.

Only Stern's loyal son did not replace him as Commissioner.

Upshot: We've been f*cked since 1993 and will continue to be indefinitely.

It's possible they may return only as throwbacks, last seen in 2012.:crying:

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back