PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are the JETS after South Carolina OLB Melvin Ingram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ochmed Jones

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
GBN draft buzz and several NY publications are implying that the Jets are trying to trade up to get Ingram.

And while I think ingram is a very versatile player with a non stop motor, I have a hard time figuring how Ingram fits in the Jets defense.

If they play Ingram at OLB, he would be rushing against some very huge NFL OT's with dancing feet.

Does anybody else see Ingram as a potential Jet type player?

He could definitely play the Adalius Thomas role that Ryan orchestrated back with the Ravens. They could find all sorts of creative uses for Ingram.

I would like for them to trade up for Ingram. Means fewer overall draft picks for them, a better prospect dropping to us, and I think our O-line can handle him just fine. Win all around.

Best realistic scenario for us would be them giving up their 1st and 2nd to trade up for him.

Last edited:
They're bringing Coples in for a workout too.

It's not like they need to fix safety, tackle or WR....just get a pass rush :p

It's been reported the Jets had a huge contingent at Melvin Ingram's pro day workout. Remarkably, some observers even saw Rex Widepants stop consuming his bag of chips to pay attention.

When Rex lays off the foodie he means business.

This is exactly how Vernon Gholston went down, too. Pats had a perceived interest. Jets moved up to take him very early. He was a complete flop. Mangini lost his job.

If the Jets want to outbid for Ingram, best wishes to them.

This is exactly how Vernon Gholston went down, too. Pats had a perceived interest. Jets moved up to take him very early. He was a complete flop. Mangini lost his job.

First off, I think that Ingram will be a solid pro at the worst.

Secondly, I don't really care what the Jets are doing...

First off, I think that Ingram will be a solid pro at the worst.

Secondly, I don't really care what the Jets are doing...

Oh, I absolutely agree that Ingram is going to be good. And I'm a fan of trying to get him, maybe at #11. But BB is not going to get into a bidding war for any one player. If the Jets want to move up for him... <shrug>. We've got good options if we sit tight, too.

Oh, I absolutely agree that Ingram is going to be good. And I'm a fan of trying to get him, maybe at #11. But BB is not going to get into a bidding war for any one player. If the Jets want to move up for him... <shrug>. We've got good options if we sit tight, too.

I forgot to put my *thirdly* in there..

Thirdly, I'm a Buckeyes fan. That's my college team, and I never understood the hype over Gholston. He didn't stand out to me at all. Guess the Jets thought they could teach him how to play football.

Felt similarly about Ginn on the offensive side. Loved Santonio, but Ginn was nothing more than a special teamer to me. On that note, I loved Anthony Gonzalez too. He just needs to stay healthy. Hopefully he does for us.

1. Jets didn't move up that year. They earned that pick by being that bad.

2. Ingram is a football player. Gholston was a bodybuilder who happened to play college football.

3. You better believe Belichick would love to have Ingram on the Patriots. Ingram will probably have a better season as a rookie than any of our pass rushers.

4. If the Jets do move up to take Ingram, that means Courtney Upshaw has a better chance of dropping to our pick.... although BB might not want Upshaw anyways. But its a possibility.

Last edited:
1. Jets didn't move up that year. They earned that pick by being that bad.

2. Ingram is a football player. Gholston was a bodybuilder who happened to play college football.

3. You better believe Belichick would love to have Ingram on the Patriots. Ingram will probably have a better season as a rookie than any of our pass rushers.

4. If the Jets do move up to take Ingram, that means Courtney Upshaw has a better chance of dropping to our pick.... although BB might not want Upshaw anyways. But its a possibility.

Wrong. The Jets traded 13,22 and the 116th pick with the Bears for the 4th pick in the draft that year.

Wrong. The Jets traded 13,22 and the 116th pick with the Bears for the 4th pick in the draft that year.

I'm unsure about the trades but he was definitely the sixth pick.

Damn, you've got some kind of memory. That was in 03 for Dewayne Robertson ;)

I'm unsure about the trades but he was definitely the sixth pick.

Jonathan Sullivan was definitely the 6th pick. Saints traded up to get him and I was pissed. I felt at the time losing out on Robertson and Sullivan sucked and Ty Warren was the consolation prize. Wrong again.

Last edited:
Yeah, got the busts mixed up. Dwayne Robertson and Vernon Gholston. Oh well. A bust is a bust.

So if the Jets are really after Ingram, how high do they go and how much are they willing to give up for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down