PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone Else Miss Bryant College?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyBledsoe

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Some of my best Patriots memories come from the times I spent out there at Bryant watching the guys practice and talking to them. I was out there in '96 and talked to Matt Bahr and he kinda rolled his eyes talking about this young kid they were bringing in....which, of course, would be Vinatieri.

Also, talked to Willie Clay...he started getting nervous and said, "Gotta go, coach is gonna kill me!" And yes, Parcells did bark at him as he ran onto the field:) And more as the years went on....Slade, McGinest, Vinatieri, Johnson, Coach Carroll and more...

Then I went to the Gillette experience and it just felt...very impersonal. All the stars were shunted off away from the rest of us, leaving whoever was left to come over only when we had yelled enough. It just felt more corporate. I guess it was a natural result of their increasing success but...I just kinda miss the 'college days'.

I miss it greatly. 25 min from my home. I remember my son getting 8 autographs on a Pats hat in one session, and a few years later the only one left on the team was Troy Brown. It was up close and personal just like you say. You could talk to players on occasion. One day Tim Goad was parked next to me leaving in POS Ford Taurus.

We liked to go to Parente's restaurant just down the road after the second session. There were always players stopping in for a bite to eat and a drink.I never bothered them except to buy a beer for Rohan Davey and two other unknown's who sat beside us at the bar.

Yeah, got my MBA there. Hit Parentes many times. Good times.

Oh, you were talking about T.C.!

MBA? I don't remember that. I liked to get the giant mushroom burger with fries.

I actually had a press pass back then....ran a site called Joker's War Zone...the Pats gave me credentials three years running....the memory that sticks out to me the most was watching Bledsoe AND the backups throwing in the passing drills. Bledsoe threw frozen ropes. He really did have an unbelievable arm. 25 yards, 40 yards, 60 yards...bullets...

MBA? I don't remember that. I liked to get the giant mushroom burger with fries.

Bryant is a business school.

MBA = Masters In Business Administration

oh wait..that was a funny???:bricks:

Last edited:
Yeah, some of my neighbors got their MBA from there, too...but yeah, I was talking about Training Camp;)

Joker: that's awesome! Was your site archived at all? Might want to check it out.

Last edited:
Miss it big time. So easy to slip out of work and go and much more fan friendly.

I use to take my annual designation certification update at Bryant during the same time the Patriots had training camp there.

Had good conversations with Raymond Berry, Grogan, and many others.

One day I went to the gift shop to buy something little for my daughter. I left the shop and then heard someone running behind me. I turned and Ronnie Lippett stopped and handed me my wallet that i left in the shop.

I have a funny story about Fryer that I should not post on the board but told many friends over the years. Fryer had a great personality but that was during his "wild days".

Last edited:
Yes, my great experience there was meeting Bledsoe and having him sign a portrait I drew of him. The whole time the guys who let me go meet him were nervous about Parcells finding out. It was the beginning of Drew's second year.

Great times. Great times.

You could get right on the sideline then. Hear every curse, I mean word, that Charlie Weis would scream at Patrick Pass, his favorite. Heh. Hear Parcells curse out LB Chris Slade for touching Bledsoe. Talk to Pete Carroll on his bike. Up close and personal.

I was at Parentes one day after camp when Milloy was on the phone to his agent. Gave him some unsolicited advice about re-signing with the Pats to keep the cap low. Thought he was gonna punch me out. Another buddy said to Bledsoe as Drew tripped slightly coming back to his booth with the OL carrying fries, "Out for the season?" Bledsoe. "Not funny. NOT funny." Great times. Yah, we're wiseasses.

Then post Parentes where many Patriots would gather at how do you say it, oh yeah, a Gentelman's club in Johnston RI for an adult beverage and some artistic entertainment. Great times!

Last edited by a moderator:
I miss the training camps at Bryant College in the 90s. Probably the main reason was that, if you went on a week day, it was a lot less crowded than the Gillette practices are. Of course, the success of the team now compared to then had a lot to do with it. If there wasn't a big crown, you used to be able to get a lot closer to the field and the players.

I remember standing by the pathway the players had to take off the field and back to the dorms and Terry Glenn walked by. I was surprised to see that he was about my height and not very imposing looking. My one chance at glory there came when Kevin Faulk was walking down that path after practice and he dropped his jersey just after he passed me. There were no players or coaches behind him, so I had a few second window to hop the fence, grab the jersey and hop back over. Of course, there was no way I could do that in a few seconds, so, instead I called out to Faulk about his jersey.

Yeah, Pete Carroll and his bike....wow, man, that guy was intense. "Yeah yeah, it's gonna be a real great season, you should see it, guys, yeah..." Even when I was 17, I was like...dude, cut back on the coffee.

Whereas Parcells....man, I swear he never moved from the middle of the back practice fields.

Yeah, I was real surprised Glenn got his bad reputation, he was a real nice guy who just looked surprised by all the people who wanted even his practice gloves and sweatbands! Of course, that was in 96....guess he hadn't had a chance to get crazy yet.

Last edited:

Me also ... my boy had a basketball camp there last week ... I love that place.

My best memory was Parcells yelling WILLIE! WILLIE!
McGinest was Parcell's b!tch being the 1st Patriots pick that year ... it was funny.
Bill was out there in the shorts and wide brimmed hat and Willie was like bringing iced tea while sweating in the heat.

Last edited:
Remember going up early on and seeing John Hannah, his neck was bigger than my thigh.. it was a very intimate experience, otoh Gillette is not that bad.

Remember after they won the first SB, and were doing windsprints the crowd went wild, Bruschi had the biggest smile on his face.

Last edited:
Graduated in 91 from Bryant College now a University!!! Twenty years flies by!! Spent almost everyday at Parentes, hope Dennis and Larry are well. Worked part time at liquor store in Lincoln and always saw the players during the summer. Played soccer there and actually got to throw a few balls with the players. Now at Foxboro, bring my kids and just not the same. Although the team is a hell of a lot better.

Yeah, Pete Carroll and his bike....wow, man, that guy was intense. "Yeah yeah, it's gonna be a real great season, you should see it, guys, yeah..." Even when I was 17, I was like...dude, cut back on the coffee.

Whereas Parcells....man, I swear he never moved from the middle of the back practice fields.

Yeah, I was real surprised Glenn got his bad reputation, he was a real nice guy who just looked surprised by all the people who wanted even his practice gloves and sweatbands! Of course, that was in 96....guess he hadn't had a chance to get crazy yet.

Perfect on Pete and Glenn too. I was in Parentes after practice and Glenn was sitting alone over where us fans were sitting. Was distant and withdrawn, shy not stuck up. I felt sorry for the kid as all the other players were having a great time.

Another benefit was Bob Kraft mingling, although he seemed to pay more attention to my wife than I preferred. Nice guy.

Now for the bonus question...name where the Pats practiced BEFORE Byrant.

I can not remember much cause of Bryant!!!:p

Heck no.. Even though Bryant has a great campus, RI is a cesspool.. Luckily I'm one of the few people who leave that state and realize how bad it is..

Patriot Place you can make a day out of it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes