PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone else interested in Deshone Kizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very few things are black and white. Reality is a gray place

Football is not. It’s usually very clear where the problem originated on the football field. In this case, poor quarterback play was to blame.

Fundamental question, why were the Browns terrible. You leap right in with both feet to blaming the quarterback. And in a shallow, overly simplistic sense, you're right, but the problem is it leaves some huge questions unanswered about why the quarterback failed.

It really doesn’t. The quarterback failed because he’s not, and has never been, a good quarterback.

I'm convinced the problems were far more fundamental and one of those problems is that the Browns rushed a quarterback onto the field who wasn't ready to go. Kizer failed because he was set up to fail, and the failure is not a major indictment of Kizer's talent because he should never have been put in that position in the first place.

No, you’re right. He should be a back-up at most.

I think he's got a lot more talent than he was able to display in the teamwide gongshow that was the Browns 0-16 season. You disagree because losses, which sounds to me like "I disagree because changing my mind is hard and I don't like looking past the surface of things."

Wins and losses are the #1 measure of a quarterback’s quality. Any good quarterback with a future in the league shows improvement as the season goes on, even if thrust in as a rookie before he’s “ready”. Kizer showed none of that, even when working with a receiving corps of Coleman and Gordon to end the season. He led the NFL in interceptions and got sacked 38 times mostly because he was holding onto the ball too long. That means he wasn’t seeing the field well and may have had a problem with reading defenses and going through his progressions. After the bye week, he threw 10 INTs to go with 8 touchdowns, 3 of which came against an inept Green Bay defense. Shall I go on?

As for changing my mind? I have no problem with it. I freely and often admit when I’m wrong, the most recent of which was me admitting that the Big Nickel, which I proposed using against Philly, was a bad idea in hindsight. In this instance, I think this is a case where the pot is calling the kettle black.

Deshone Kizer was screwed the minute he was drafted. Hue Jackson talked him up when he should have been shutting him up. The guy was the opposite of Deshaun Watson and Hue Jackson did not put the rookie in his place.

If you listen to him talk, you find out that Deshone Kizer is very interested in Deshone Kizer.

Came in part to say this. He said during an interview before the draft that he had been a winner at every level. He was coming off of a 4-8 season. He had a solid RS Freshman year and then played worse his next year. He probably should have stayed for his junior season.

That said, let's say that he is inexplicably available for trade right now, rather than Cleveland keeping him as about as cheap a backup as you can get. Why should the Patriots give up assets to bring in a guy who is currently worse than Brian Hoyer, and doesn't have the system knowledge of Hoyer either?

I follow ND football and as a consequence followed Kizer in College... my impression was that in College he was not ready to enter the NFL, poor decision making, too much freelancing and errant throws etc. He could have benefited from another year in College.. he has some QB skills, but they need a lot of work.. he is only 22 years old.

He went to Cleveland and was thrown to the wolves of the NFL, he clearly was not ready for that responsibility, 11 TD's and 22 Int, 53 completion percentage... Kizer displayed the idiocy of that organization...

Not sure I would consider him for the Pats, unless they got him on the cheap and then he got "injured" in the preseason and was on the "developmental squad" so he could learn to play the position....

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back