PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone Else Annoyed By NBC's 1st Down Line Screw-Ups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmessy

Phoenix, AZ/Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Man, that was unacceptable and downright annoying.

They obviously miscalibrated their yellow line markings throughout the first half by at least a yard and a half.

On one 3rd down play, Chung made a GREAT hit a yard shy of it. We celebrated, the next thing we see, it's 1st down. A few minutes later, there's another play and a measurement comes out for a clearly short of the line measurement - - as the chains stretch nowhere near the yellow line, NBC's directors hurriedly fade the line as the referee signals first down.

Not after a night like this. :D

there was a series when the line actually wasn't straight across the field

I saw that too and thought maybe I misread where they were down, wouldnt be the first time that line gets messed up.

I'm not suprised regarding the 1st down marker scew ups but that was the least of the my worries. These refs were down right terrible tonight and clearly aided the Steelers whenever they saw fit. I'm just glad the Pats were able to dominate and overcome the handicap which were the refs tonight and come away with a win.

It only pissed me off during one play. At the end of the 1st quarter I think. It was Steelers ball, 3rd and long and it looked like we stopped them with a huge hit by Chung if I remember correctly. Next thing you know, it's 1st & 10 without even measuring it. On the other hand, it made me laugh when the link was not even in a straight line.

Dipped into the good stuff tonight, eh? ;)

hahahha..............true story tho. it looked like 1 end was on the 30 and the other on like the 36

Last edited:
hahahha..............true story tho. it looked like 1 end was on the 30 and the other on like the 36

I saw that too and am glad I'm not the only one that noticed.

They also left a "False Start" graphic up in the 4th quarter right through the end of the subsequent play. Really amateurish graphics work by NBC.

It only pissed me off during one play. At the end of the 1st quarter I think. It was Steelers ball, 3rd and long and it looked like we stopped them with a huge hit by Chung if I remember correctly. Next thing you know, it's 1st & 10 without even measuring it. On the other hand, it made me laugh when the link was not even in a straight line.

just fyi, they did get the 1st down on that play

Dipped into the good stuff tonight, eh? ;)

I saw that skewed yellow line too. I wasn't in a Jefferson Airplane rabbit hole where logic and proportion go haywire. The line didn't go straight across, keeping parallel with the on-field white lines. It had a mind of its own and one end on one sideline was like 5 yards ahead of its other end on the opposite sideline.

It looked like a freaking hypotenuse. I needed the pythagorean theorem to calculate down and distance.

And that fist whap on a Steeler in the 1st quarter when he was in the clear to make a 1st down and Chung or somebody came up and slammed him in open space. I thought the guy was short of the yellow line. They went to commercial and when they returned, the Steelers had a 1st down w/o even a measurement. The yellow line must have been off then too.
Another time when they measured for The Steelers, it was like a yard off there also.

I'll take it. And if you noticed, all night, NBC was posting all of these killer Pats Dynasty stats. There was almost none highlighting The Steelers.

(Except that one that said The Steelers haven't lost be more than 7 points since freaking 2006! Holy crap. That's impressive.)

anyways.... whap!

Did anyone see that joint celebration after that touchdown that we were hit for? They NEVER showed it!!!!

NBC is pretty awful overall. I know they're still the new kids, but the entire show lacks the polish of Fox and CBS.

They also left a "False Start" graphic up in the 4th quarter right through the end of the subsequent play. Really amateurish graphics work by NBC.

Was that on the 16 yard gain from Welker?

I was very confused watching the highlights why that was there :)

Do away with it all together. Any fan with a modicum of intelligence who is actually following the play can figure out where the first down is. I mean really, if the ball is on say the Steelers 34 yd line (and it's say 2nd and 7), well duh that means they need to get to the 41 yd line.
And while were on the subject. I also don't need directional arrows to tell me which way the team is going when they have posession. I think broascasters think we are all stupid.

All this crap on my TV screen is as annoying as the old FOX glowing puck when they did NHL games.

Last edited:
Man, that was unacceptable and downright annoying.

They obviously miscalibrated their yellow line markings throughout the first half by at least a yard and a half.

On one 3rd down play, Chung made a GREAT hit a yard shy of it. We celebrated, the next thing we see, it's 1st down. A few minutes later, there's another play and a measurement comes out for a clearly short of the line measurement - - as the chains stretch nowhere near the yellow line, NBC's directors hurriedly fade the line as the referee signals first down.

Good point. I was celebrating after that hit and then they come back from a commercial and the Pittsburgh offense is still on the field with a first down. I thought, WTF? The same thing happened on a Woodhead carry that looked like a first down but then wasn't.

Did anyone see that joint celebration after that touchdown that we were hit for? They NEVER showed it!!!!

They did show it briefly -- it was a group jive dance in the end zone. Those players should know better and I hope they get an earful from BB. The Steelers scored a touchdown on the short field after that kickoff.

I was deeply annoyed by NBC's mishandling of the yellow line.

Ruined the entire night for me.

For me the most important thing is not whether the Pats get the first down on offense or if they make defensive stop on 3rd down. It is the accuracy of the yellow line. A Patriots win is meaningless when watching such a horrible filming of it.

I have written an angry letter to the head of NBC over it and will be boycotting all of NBCs TV sponsors until they fire the yellow line guy and replace him with someone competent. I have copied all of the NBC sponsor over it as well. I have also written to Godell demanding he investigate yellowlinegate. I urge others to join me.

:bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand