PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Any thoughts on the tuck rule admission?

From a player’s perspective, the tuck rule was just a technicality. In his mind, is the arm going forward or not, and it wasn’t at the moment, so he feels it’s a fumble. But the letter of the rule spared him.

Same deal with catch interpretation as TheRainmaker pointed out. Or the 4 offensive lineman / declaring ineligible plays the Pats pulled on the Ravens in 2014. They were all correctly ruled by the officials based on the rules in place. But those rules all felt wrong with the spirit of the game, and therefore why the rules were all eventually changed.

Imagine if the Patriots won SB 51 in regulation because they decided to try a fair catch kick. The vast majority of fans and players would have said they won by cheating and exploiting a technicality, rather than fairly.
Oh yeah the competition conmittee would have had an emergency meeting later that night and eliminated that kick from the rulebook without a doubt. Cause we can’t have anything benefiting the Patriots. You know it’s true! :)

Apologies if this was already talked about and I missed it! I looked on the 1st page and didnt see anything.

What is everyones thoughts on Tom Brady saying that the tuck rule game was actually a fumble? Im in the camp of "It was 20 years ago, it doesnt matter anymore" ... but hey, its the offseason and there isnt much news to talk about. So why not have a discussion.
It was identical to a play vs the Jets earlier in the season where they called the same thing to the Pat's DISADVANTAGE. Brady has said for a long time that as it happened, he thought it was a fumble. He was wrong.

Without the tuck rule, do the Patriots even play the Raiders? Let's say they finish the season 13-3? I wonder what the seeding would be. Chances are they don't even play the Raiders in that game.

That being said, the biggest cheat of all is what the NFL did the Patriots against the Eagles in 2017. I'll never ever understand that or have it explained to me properly. I've asked. No one knows. Even Cris Collinsworth was incredulous. He was like, how does the NFL change a rule in the middle of a game, or for only one game? Bizarre.

One of the clearest cut examples of the NFL putting its thumb on the scales against the Patriots.

as though we needed that at ll after the farce that was deflategate.

Apologies if this was already talked about and I missed it! I looked on the 1st page and didnt see anything.

What is everyones thoughts on Tom Brady saying that the tuck rule game was actually a fumble? Im in the camp of "It was 20 years ago, it doesnt matter anymore" ... but hey, its the offseason and there isnt much news to talk about. So why not have a discussion.
My thoughts?

HAHAHA.... FU Raidahs! We got the Lombardi and you got sh;t

it doesn’t really matter whether the tuck rule was called correctly. The biggest missed call on the play was Woodson’s slap to Brady’s head that should have been flagged as a personal foul. 15 yds and a first down would have put us in a better position.

Sorry, I thought everyone knew about this.

There is a social media trend going on right now where people are supposed to admit to 1 thing that they havent been truthful about or was a secret. Tom's admission was that the tuck rule play may have actually been a fumble.
then YOU should admit you are a feces eating troll and jump off the Tobin bridge ASAP

There is a social media trend going on right now where people are supposed to admit to 1 thing that they havent been truthful about or was a secret.
I kinda like this idea. One thing I have kept from many that I cannot do any longer is my dislike for green cows.

Was it a fumble? Maybe? I don’t care if it was the correct call or a league led conspiracy to screw Al Davis, it’s great that it happened and only adds to the entire mystique of the dynasty. In fact if it was meant to screw the Raiders that’s funny.

Is it true that in Buffalo all beer cans and bottles leave no rings?
maybe...but beer cans and bottles come with free cans of Febreze to cover the ensuing fog of flatulence blowing over Lake Erie

Does this have anything to do with my Pringles addiction?

I don't care. Even if I give the Raiders a break, it's at worst karma for a time they won a championship in a playoff they screwed us on a call. Really the rule was dumb and we benefitted. We went to 9 Super Bowls after that game. That one call wasn't stopping the train. Also the Raiders could have won that game.

If this play happened during the later dynasty run ala 2017 with the Eagles bobbling multiple catches and lining up illegally, Pats are sent home.

And Brady had a Freudian slip telling Woodson he fumbled. Tom wasn't trolling anybody, but rather an accident. They both had a laugh.

I don't care. Even if I give the Raiders a break, it's at worst karma for a time they won a championship in a playoff they screwed us on a call. Really the rule was dumb and we benefitted. We went to 9 Super Bowls after that game. That one call wasn't stopping the train. Also the Raiders could have won that game.
Tom thought his job was going back to Drew if the call stood. I think was being polite and respectful of Bledsoe, but Tom would've won the job in camp in 2002.

As much as you want it to be true, that's not what he said. He didn't say it WAS a fumble, he said it MAY HAVE BEEN a fumble. Just a silly off-the-cuff answer to a silly question. Many times previously he said it wasn't a fumble.

then YOU should admit you are a feces eating troll and jump off the Tobin bridge ASAP
Absolutely is a troll. Comes out of the shadows when his team is finally relevant taking little shots every chance he gets in his little sneaky snitch manner.

There’s a lot better posters from other rival team’s that come over here to discuss. This guy ain’t one of them.

TB12 has a sadistic sense of humor. He loves to torture other teams/people. So, I see this just as him poking the Raiders and laughing about it.

That was the rule then.... just shows that Brady couldn't make it in today's NFL................

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back