PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Antonio Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m starting to agree with him. Reason being the investigation is not showing much

I think it depends if the texts were seen as an individual event that was too far, or if it was the culmination of events. If the text was the final straw that was a rash decision by Kraft IMO. Hill threatened his baby momma in audio and the kept him, and Brown's message was much less egregious.

Depending on Gordon's availability and what trade talks result in, they may have to strongly consider bringing AB back, dependent on how he reconciles differences with RKK and the NFL

You are entitled to the opinion that based on Brown’s history, his distracting behavior outweighs his value. That isn’t a totally far fetched idea. I personally would agree with it if I thought Belichick was the one who decided to release him. Belichick was okay with bringing him to the Patriots even after the helmet....ummmm...thing, and with a full knowledge of his locker room issues in the past. I read a lot about Brown this offseason, and my take on him is that he is an immature guy but was a well-liked teammate up until last year when Fat Ben threw him under the bus on his radio show. But by and large, ex-teammates expressed surprise and concern for Brown, who they felt was a good teammate until he lost his ****, whereas you can’t find an ex-Steeler who doesn’t pour gasoline all over Ben. His Facebook Live incident was pretty crappy, but that’s something where Belichick, Brady, and the Patriots locker room would not let happen.

Which brings us to his off-field issues, the crux of this thread. All I’d say is that the Patriots are the best team in the NFL when it comes to living within their bubble. The “distractions” about Brown’s legal problems are a distraction to Kraft, the fans, but not the team itself. The locker room famously blocks out the noise. There’s a big difference between being a locker room cancer and an off-field mess. I trust Bill’s judgment they he could prevent Brown from being a locker room cancer.

All that said, I won’t die on a hill to defend Antonio Brown’s character. He in many ways has dug his own grave with a **** ton of bad decisions and generally does not seem like a good person. I just wish the Patriots had done everything they could to try to work it out because he is that good, the locker room stuff I think is overblown, and I watch football to observe what happens on the field, not for stories that happen off it with players, Aaron Hernandez type stuff excluded. Wish they had either tried to work it out or at least not release him with the most moronic possible timing, ensuring they will get screwed, because Kraft couldn’t handle the heat for another week.

I hear ya. Agree on some, disagree on others.

I just think the concept of "team" is not to be overlooked. It's important when everyone is accountable and making the team the number one objective. Wondering how Bryce Harper feels this morning. Down here in the DC area, everyone was jumping out of windows when he left the less talented DC Nationals in the offseason. I appreciate talent. I just don't buy into the diva as savior thing for football, baseball. Maybe for basketball.

I hear ya. Agree on some, disagree on others.

I just think the concept of "team" is not to be overlooked. It's important when everyone is accountable and making the team the number one objective. Wondering how Bryce Harper feels this morning. Down here in the DC area, everyone was jumping out of windows when he left the less talented DC Nationals in the offseason. I appreciate talent. I just don't buy into the diva as savior thing for football, baseball. Maybe for basketball.

Ha! I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday, even though I’m not really into baseball. This seems to happen all the time in sports. We are really blessed to have TB12, the ultimate “makes his teammates BETTER type of player”, but even in Brady’s absence, the Patriots sure can hold their own.

You are entitled to the opinion that based on Brown’s history, his distracting behavior outweighs his value. That isn’t a totally far fetched idea. I personally would agree with it if I thought Belichick was the one who decided to release him. Belichick was okay with bringing him to the Patriots even after the helmet....ummmm...thing, and with a full knowledge of his locker room issues in the past. I read a lot about Brown this offseason, and my take on him is that he is an immature guy but was a well-liked teammate up until last year when Fat Ben threw him under the bus on his radio show. But by and large, ex-teammates expressed surprise and concern for Brown, who they felt was a good teammate until he lost his ****, whereas you can’t find an ex-Steeler who doesn’t pour gasoline all over Ben. His Facebook Live incident was pretty crappy, but that’s something where Belichick, Brady, and the Patriots locker room would not let happen.

Which brings us to his off-field issues, the crux of this thread. All I’d say is that the Patriots are the best team in the NFL when it comes to living within their bubble. The “distractions” about Brown’s legal problems are a distraction to Kraft, the fans, but not the team itself. The locker room famously blocks out the noise. There’s a big difference between being a locker room cancer and an off-field mess. I trust Bill’s judgment they he could prevent Brown from being a locker room cancer.

All that said, I won’t die on a hill to defend Antonio Brown’s character. He in many ways has dug his own grave with a **** ton of bad decisions and generally does not seem like a good person. I just wish the Patriots had done everything they could to try to work it out because he is that good, the locker room stuff I think is overblown, and I watch football to observe what happens on the field, not for stories that happen off it with players, Aaron Hernandez type stuff excluded. Wish they had either tried to work it out or at least not release him with the most moronic possible timing, ensuring they will get screwed, because Kraft couldn’t handle the heat for another week.
There's a wild-card here and that is what the League Front Office/Goddell would do. It could range from nothing to a season-long suspension. Especially if another, and I am sure there is, skeleton comes out of AB's closet.

We are all assuming Kraft decided his faith. Is there a report or something more solid about that? How do we know BB wasn't on board with this decision? He was livid at that press conference.

Willing to play for no $ too.
in all honestly I have done a 180. America forgives players all the time. (of course I don't mean it if he actually raped anyone tho. just sayin)

in all honestly I have done a 180. America forgives players all the time. (of course I don't mean it if he actually raped anyone tho. just sayin)

Yes, and this is where I think Kraft is in fact a scum bag. He wrote his apology letter regarding his Orchid incident. He didn't even give Brown the chance to apologize or anything. It's very likely that Brown could have sent a truly heartfelt apology to the painter regarding the texts, and she would have accepted it...the reports are that she and her attorneys were even shocked by the heavy handed response by the Patriots. Players screw up all the time...they apologize...they often get suspended by the team as a punishment. Getting released is totally over the top. And this will be the reason the Patriots do not recover their signing bonus, as all past precedent regarding these contracts will show that teams attempted to use disciplinary measures, fact find, and actually hear the player's side of the story. The public would have empathized with Brown had he taken a suspension and just said he's going through some personal problems and he's sorry for his behavior. That's how 99.9999% of owners would handle a situation like this with a player of this caliber, who all the fans want to see. Even fans that hate the Patriots do not want Antonio Brown out of the NFL. He is arguably the best overall, versatile wide receiver since Jerry Rice.

Players have done much worse than this without getting released, especially since almost all of these issues happened prior to his time with the Patriots...if Kraft thinks he is held to some higher moral standard, he is a buffoon, like the Emperor with no clothes. What a laughing stock.

Yes, and this is where I think Kraft is in fact a scum bag. He wrote his apology letter regarding his Orchid incident. He didn't even give Brown the chance to apologize or anything. It's very likely that Brown could have sent a truly heartfelt apology to the painter regarding the texts, and she would have accepted it...the reports are that she and her attorneys were even shocked by the heavy handed response by the Patriots. Players screw up all the time...they apologize...they often get suspended by the team as a punishment. Getting released is totally over the top. And this will be the reason the Patriots do not recover their signing bonus, as all past precedent regarding these contracts will show that teams attempted to use disciplinary measures, fact find, and actually hear the player's side of the story. The public would have empathized with Brown had he taken a suspension and just said he's going through some personal problems and he's sorry for his behavior. That's how 99.9999% of owners would handle a situation like this with a player of this caliber, who all the fans want to see. Even fans that hate the Patriots do not want Antonio Brown out of the NFL. He is arguably the best overall, versatile wide receiver since Jerry Rice.
It was pretty dumb of them to attack TOm Brady and sully him the way they did too over nothing literally.

Thing is, the league office is not going to let him play this year. Not for the Pats, not for anyone. They are not going to let him play the Raiders the way he did without repercussions. I’m sure that was explained to Kraft.

That D was bad but that drop was wide eyed awful..
Caldwell’s drop was lousy but it is so overrated when it is talked about in terms of impact. He is Reche Caldwell, he was not making anyone miss. If he catches it it is a 5-7 yard gain at best.

People pretend like it was a gimme TD, which it could have been if Brady had immediately noticed the lack of coverage and snapped the ball straight away.

Thing is, the league office is not going to let him play this year. Not for the Pats, not for anyone. They are not going to let him play the Raiders the way he did without repercussions. I’m sure that was explained to Kraft.

And the Patriots will foot the bill for what Brown did to the Raiders.

Roger is going to delete him.

why do we get the privilege of footing the bill

We are all assuming Kraft decided his faith. Is there a report or something more solid about that? How do we know BB wasn't on board with this decision? He was livid at that press conference.

The reports are that Kraft insisted and then BB reluctantly gave in. It wasn’t rebellion or anything. BB decided to move on if it mattered all that much to Kraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes