PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Antonio Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what you are implying. I get that rape is way more serious then kicking, but that kicking was on film. And in this situation their are allegations of farting, pictures of kids posted on Instagram twisted as a direct threat, and rape allegations from someone who continuously went over his house late at night. I think he is n A hole, I'm just wondering if he is not charged when will the PC alliance allow him to play again

Then you should be able to answer how it qualifies as a threat by telling me
1) what consequence is being threatened

2) what action does the threat say will result in that consequence

You can’t find it because it’s not there. It’s only there in YOUR interpretation of what YOU think he meant and why YOU think he did it.
Words and criminal descriptions have meaning.
You can’t take something you don’t like and apply whatever negative word of crime you wish to. It just doesn’t work that way.

Tell me you think she could go to the police and have him charged with, arrested for and convicted of making threats?

Where did I ever say it had to rise to the level of being a crime to be considered a threat? You're the only one trying to make that argument and it's a very naive one. As I have stated here previously, the prosecutors have the burden of proving one's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. The league, the front office, the fans, the media have no such burden, nor should they. It is not their job to convict anyone of a crime. They do have the right to convict in the court of public opinion and you're going to be severely outnumbered in that court if you try to make the argument this wasn't a threat. That is ALL that matters to the league, to the Pats and to sane fans of the Pats. The owners have a business to run and they ain't running it from their mom's basement.

Where did I ever say it had to rise to the level of being a crime to be considered a threat? You're the only one trying to make that argument and it's a very naive one. As I have stated here previously, the prosecutors have the burden of proving one's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. The league, the front office, the fans, the media have no such burden, nor should they. It is not their job to convict anyone of a crime. They do have the right to convict in the court of public opinion and you're going to be severely outnumbered in that court if you try to make the argument this wasn't a threat. That is ALL that matters to the league, to the Pats and to sane fans of the Pats. The owners have a business to run and they ain't running it from their mom's basement.
Well put.

By that train of thought the most logical thing would be to put him on the exempt list for the remainder of the season and see where the situations play out over the course of the following months.

Of course it wasn't a sex trafficking ring, but who cares about facts, right?
I stand corrected. I read an article earlier that stated that, but it was wrong. Other reports said their was no evidence.

Brown pretty much let her know that he would dig into her life to find dirt. Why? To use it to try and destroy her life and reputation either as payback, leverage to "shut her up" or make people question her credibility. The pictures of her kids? Hes so dumb there no telling what his motivation was there but I for one am convinced that the texts very easily could be legitimately scary for her. Those texts were not just a reaction, they were an attack.
I think you’re applying the way a normal person thinks to AB. I’m not saying this to be insulting to AB, but from listening to him talk, and seeing him write he appears to be borderline mentally handicapped. I’m not even sure he’s capable of conveying the sort of nuanced threat you’re attributing to him.

I think AB literally thinks that if he says the woman is broke, and his buddy proves she needs money, than it’s proof she’s lying about what happened. Yes that’s stupid. There seems to be this idea that what he wrote is too stupid to be true, and there has to be a deeper meaning to it. I don’t think there is anything more to his texts than what he wrote.

It’s like the guy who sabotaged a plane over his union contract negotiations. People think that is too stupid to actually be his reasoning. Really stupid people do things that don’t make sense to normal people.

I think you’re applying the way a normal person thinks to AB. I’m not saying this to be insulting to AB, but from listening to him talk, and seeing him write he appears to be borderline mentally handicapped. I’m not even sure he’s capable of conveying the sort of nuanced threat you’re attributing to him.

I think AB literally thinks that if he says the woman is broke, and his buddy proves she needs money, than it’s proof she’s lying about what happened. Yes that’s stupid. There seems to be this idea that what he wrote is too stupid to be true, and there has to be a deeper meaning to it. I don’t think there is anything more to his texts than what he wrote.

It’s like the guy who sabotaged a plane over his union contract negotiations. People think that is too stupid to actually be his reasoning. Really stupid people do things that don’t make sense to normal people.

Somehow, some way several very naive folks here believed in the guy.

I’m done. I am leaving this thread because it is going nowhere.
I will not be responding to any more posts directed at me. I’ve explained this issue over and over and people continue to bring up the same points that have been addressed multiple times. You either want to get it or you don’t.
I agree with you. To declare it was a threat under legal terms is sensationalizing.

The league will use the distastefulness of posting pictures of kids as yet another ancillary reason to call a big 'time out' on Brown and put him on exempt list.

Last edited:
I’m done. I am leaving this thread because it is going nowhere.
I will not be responding to any more posts directed at me. I’ve explained this issue over and over and people continue to bring up the same points that have been addressed multiple times. You either want to get it or you don’t.

AJ you're arguing using an opinion based on dry logic, with others who arguing their opinion with their emotions clearly on display. That's not a good argument to get into.

There will not be legal charges from this "threat" because it would be laughed at. But that is a wholly separate issue, as you mentioned, from how insanely stupid it was for AB to engage in texting with people(now on indelible record) in a manner that would be seen as at minimum offensive and could be construed as intimidating by other means. And it is also a separate issue from how, at minimum, A-hole AB has acted and continued to act when the situation so clearly called for him to let others handle the off field, just play football, just walk the other way when trouble came knocking.
Sometimes you make bad choices to cause yourself and others trouble. Hopefully you learn a valuable lesson from it. Then sometimes trouble comes looking for you. Hopefully you learn from it and learn how to turn the other way from it. In AB's case he just appears to not only make bad choices to cause trouble, but is ready and willing to jump at trouble when it comes knocking. For a millionaire sports personality, under the microscope, to operate this way is just a recipe for a downfall.

I just don't want him to go to Kansas City somehow. Teams will have interest. If he's not charged and gets an 8 game suspension like Hunt who kicked a female then at what point is it PC to pick him up? Teams will say F it why does waiting a full year make it any better.

I saw something a bit ago saying that if the investigation winds up resolved then there's teams that are interested or are waiting for the case to be resolved and we better be one of them. In a perfect world everything works out in a few weeks or so and we bring him back just in time for the Nov. Dec. push.

I saw something a bit ago saying that if the investigation winds up resolved then there's teams that are interested or are waiting for the case to be resolved and we better be one of them. In a perfect world everything works out in a few weeks or so and we bring him back just in time for the Nov. Dec. push.

Exhibit A.

I don't think it'll happen, even if he's completely cleared of the allegations. What happens as soon as another woman pops up? The Pats know what he's capable of. IMO, they've moved on.

Is he saying if we sat AB that would have worked?
No. He’s saying that because the Pats chose to keep him and play him after learning about his civil suit without acting (cutting him), their argument goes out the window. He’s saying that they would’ve had to make that decision a week earlier, when they became aware of the news.

Do people really believe this to be a possibility? I respect your opinion, but holy sh!t man. Really?

Then you should be able to answer how it qualifies as a threat by telling me
1) what consequence is being threatened

2) what action does the threat say will result in that consequence

You can’t find it because it’s not there. It’s only there in YOUR interpretation of what YOU think he meant and why YOU think he did it.
Words and criminal descriptions have meaning.
You can’t take something you don’t like and apply whatever negative word of crime you wish to. It just doesn’t work that way.

Tell me you think she could go to the police and have him charged with, arrested for and convicted of making threats?

Completely agree with Andy here. There were no laws broken and not even nfl rules broken.

Pats caved to media pressure.

For a me it wasn't a matter of defending him but more of a matter of he remain eligible without violating team and NFL rules and laws in the process.

We can debate if his texts were harassment but he messed up.

Harassment should be viewed from the eyes of the beholder, if Brown was arguing with her and then posted pix of her kids.. that crosses a boundary that is difficult to move back from.

His attorney probably told him not to contact her or anyone else involved in the allegations, however he knows best and seems to believe he is invincible or immune from legal reproach..

Life for him as a Patriot could have been good and he could have added to the $70 million he has already made..

I am sick and tired of men claiming they were falsely accused or are victims of women who want to take advantage of them, if you did something wrong like this 'fess up, apologize, make things right and then move on..

Harassment should be viewed from the eyes of the beholder, if Brown was arguing with her and then posted pix of her kids.. that crosses a boundary that is difficult to move back from.

His attorney probably told him not to contact her or anyone else involved in the allegations, however he knows best and seems to believe he is invincible or immune from legal reproach..

Life for him as a Patriot could have been good and he could have added to the $70 million he has already made..

I am sick and tired of men claiming they were falsely accused or are victims of women who want to take advantage of them, if you did something wrong like this 'fess up, apologize, make things right and then move on..
Exactly. I'm aware there are reports Kraft was "enraged" and he asked Bill if he could guarantee this (being in the news again) would not happen again. BB clearly could not.

Despite the different interpretations of whether the texts were threatening or not (I'm not sure what the team thought) , there are 3 main reasons why I believe he is gone.

1) He most likely did not abide by the team's imposed gag order to stop communicating with people who he has an issue with/have issues with him.

2) He might have been put on the exempt list in which they would need to still pay his salary and bonus money.

3) With #1, he would be a problem all season.

We'd enter cap hell if we did that. We'd have to sign him to a new contract while still carrying the dead cap from his old one.

windows-dialogue-box-7-log-off-cartoon.jpg

I am not a legal expert, but think playing AB last week strengthened the Patriots case.

If the team sat AB last week it could be argued that they intended not to pay the 9 million because of past violations that the Pats should have known about when the contract was signed. It's even been reported privately that they would not have signed AB if the team knew about the lawsuits. The fact that the team signed him quickly, and did not do their due diligence is not the fault of the player.

Now by playing him last week, it is clear the team is cutting AB because of violations since the contract was signed.

There is a burden on the team to prove they intended to follow through on the agreement from the date of the contract forward. Pointing to a past violation made a weaker position and could have given AB's team an argument that he was entitled to the money because the team was acting on their own neglect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye