PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Antonio Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill and Mayock have a relationship so I am not sure if that would help or hurt the possibly of bringing in Brown were he to become available. That being said Bill has brought in malcontents and head cases before; Corey Dillion, Randy Moss, Brandon Lloyd, Chad Johnson, Albert Haynesworth, Aqib Talib, and Josh Gordon to name a few. It wouldn't shock me if he brought in Brown if given the chance but it would shock me if he gave him any money guaranteed.

This is the best receiver in the league with a game that is tailor-made for our QB and offense. If he is released and willing to play for $4 MM guaranteed this year, you have to do it.

Would someone explain to me why someone would bother to make a new thread about this, when the same discussion has already been occurring in first AB thread?

ADD or ADHD.

Two things to consider:

• Albert Breer said on NBC Sports Boston that Antonio Brown even during his antics was the hardest worker on the Steelers & the there wasn’t a close second.
If he’s cut, I doubt he’d have many suitors. You may be able to land a top 5 WR for a 1 year incentive laden contract. His potential revenge against the Steelers would probably drive him even more for one season.

If the first point is true, I would expect BB to give a call only if he’s released. Think mercenary 1 year Revis except cheaper.

Would someone explain to me why someone would bother to make a new thread about this, when the same discussion has already been occurring in first AB thread?
A bold comment!

Brown is an enigma. My knee-jerk response is "No way BB would want this guy. He's a malcontent, a distraction and BB doesn't usually pay out big for receivers." Then another part of me thinks that Brown may be just looking for a way to get out of that dumpster-fire of an organization. Perhaps he wants to go to a team with a chance to give him a higher profile which would mean more $$ in the way of sponsors and marketing for him. The Pats would certainly give him that. Why did he go to the Raiders in the first place I have no idea.

Personally I don't like him or want him here. But if I must be honest, if he was signed, I would be excited.

Brown and Flash on the same team would give us an unfair advantage. BB would never do that.

This is the best receiver in the league with a game that is tailor-made for our QB and offense. If he is released and willing to play for $4 MM guaranteed this year, you have to do it.
$4m guaranteed for a disruptive, ego-manic who is clearly unstable when the team has only $5.1m in cap space to spare is a bad business decision.

Now, if you want to propose something that is non-guaranteed then that might be more palatable.

Last edited:
Even if BB were somehow interested in this dumpster fire, is it not obvious that a petulant, me-first diva who has been getting his way for years will not last long in the disciplined, regimented environment that is the New England Patriots? This is not someone who is about to check his ego at the door as some past head cases were. I mean, I see people dreaming here about on-field production but this has already proven to be a nightmare for 2 teams that took very different tacts to deal with AB. We know BBs approach: sign cheap and cut him if he doesn't get with the program. I don't see AB sticking with anyone else's program for long. He was only with Pittsburgh for as long as he was because the team continually caved in in order to retain the production. That is NOT what BB will do with a head case.

The Raiders have done well to stick to the expectations that NFL players should act like NFL players. AB is a cancer for an NFL team. It's been said for years that Pittsburgh has underperformed their talent and players like AB are part of the reason why. It's tough on a team to have an AB around doing what he wants and getting away with it. Expecting conformity out of AB at this point so that he fits into a disciplined NFL team looks like a fantasy to me.

Last edited:
Would Brown be willing to take a lesser role targets/production wise in this offense for a shot at a ring?

We all know when your brought in to this team you either adapt to the patriot way or your gone. Bill won’t put up with all the extra crap that’s gone on the past few seasons.
We already win multiple rings without players like Brown

It wouldn't be a trade situation. It would be a free agent situation, post-cut.

And BB has brought in the Antonio Browns of the NFL before.
No, he really hasn’t. Yesterday you gave 4 examples of players that were not even remotely in the same zip code as AB with regards to on-field distractions, disrespect shown to coaches and damage to his own team.

Brown is an enigma. My knee-jerk response is "No way BB would want this guy. He's a malcontent, a distraction and BB doesn't usually pay out big for receivers." Then another part of me thinks that Brown may be just looking for a way to get out of that dumpster-fire of an organization. Perhaps he wants to go to a team with a chance to give him a higher profile which would mean more $$ in the way of sponsors and marketing for him. The Pats would certainly give him that. Why did he go to the Raiders in the first place I have no idea.

Personally I don't like him or want him here. But if I must be honest, if he was signed, I would be excited.
I suppose there is an outside chance, that if he managed to get himself to the Pats, somehow, he "might" possibly put his act together right away, if that were his goal in all this.

However, my impression is that line of thinking is giving him too much credit.

Normally I am 1000% fine with taking in talented players who are discontent with their current situation.

This, however, is a new breed. Players are at least supposed to play nice for the first season ‘honeymoon period’.
I agree 100%. I can’t think of any player causing so much trouble before playing a single game after signing a new deal. Even OBJ was happy for training camp and a couple games before he went sour.

One part of me says no way in hell. Could you imagine this dude pullin’ that kinda **** on Belichick? Ain’t worth the headache and time consumed dealing with him.

The other part of me says, hell yeah! Could you imagine this dude pullin’ that kinda **** on Belichick?? Maybe I have the wrong impression of our teams locker room, but I truly believe if he had an altercation with Belichick, his ass would have a line of players waiting to take a shot at him, probably starting with Edelman.

I would be nervous potentially relying on an offense with Gordon and Brown. Either one could screw up any minute and be gone.

To me, I get the feeling that Brown is trolling everyone. Like how he did the the whole helmet fiasco and threatened to sit out.

Brady and Belichick don't have the luxury of putting up that behavior. Everyone knows Belichick. Other teams suck, so they really don't have much going for them, so they put up with his antics, lolol.
Under the right circumstances of course. The right circumstances being a contract heavy in incentives with little penalty for cutting him loose.
Make him fit in or cut him loose. Chances are you get 1 year of good soldier then he goes off the rails. One year of peak AB is a good thing.

Under the right circumstances of course. The right circumstances being a contract heavy in incentives with little penalty for cutting him loose.
Make him fit in or cut him loose. Chances are you get 1 year of good soldier then he goes off the rails. One year of peak AB is a good thing.
What makes you think at this point you have a better chance of him not going off the reservation?

I’d offer something like minimum salary plus $200k per game active, with nothing guaranteed. For 16 weeks and 15 games, that would max out just under $4 million. I’m guessing he could do better than that on the open market, but maybe not given all of the recent events.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes