PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another low risk high reward option for journeyman QB?

Love The Drake

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Sam Darnold?

He has all the physical tools, did Shanny fix his brain and mechanics?

I would prefer Mac really raising the bar there Bourne. :)

Season 6 Reaction GIF by Parks and Recreation

He's been on three teams now, and hasn't caught on at any of them. He's not the answer here, even as a backup.

There are so many other free agent QBs available, with better résumés. It's nice that Darnold humbly accepted the role of a backup, and learned from Kyle Shanahan, Klint Kubiak and Brian Griese. But Darnold got so little playing time, the only thing we have to go on is his years with the Jets and Carolina. His career stats are not good: always at about 59-60% completion rate, with almost as many interceptions as touchdowns.

Look at what other free agent QBs are available:
- Jacoby Brissett
- Ryan Tannehill
- Tyrod Taylor
- Marcus Mariota
- Drew Lock
- Jameis Winston
- Gardner Minshew
- Teddy Bridgewater
- Joe Flacco
- Joshua Dobbs
- Blaine Gabbert
- Carson Wentz
- Mason Rudolph

Plenty of better options. Some team will give him a shot as a reclamtion project - but a reclamation project is not what the Patriots need right now.

i would try to get Bagent (Bears) or Browning (Cinc) in a trade before Darnold

This team doesn't need a reclamation project.

I’d sign Jamies Winston draft MHJ, sign Mike Evans, Austin Ekeler, Cordarelle Patterson and just have a feast or famine 7 win fun as hell to watch team

This team doesn't need a reclamation project.
right

We need a solid 2024 starter and 1-2 year backup.
=========
Winston is a reclamation project for a team that wants him as their #2 and perhaps as future #1 when their current QB goes.

I'm ignoring his play for the Jets and Panthers because these teams are messed up. When he played for the 49ers he did well, small sample size but was a much better QB.

That said, given our context at QB it might be necessary to go another route. We need a guy with enough experience that we know won't be benched until the rookie is ready. No more musical chairs.

No

He couldn't even make it as a starter in the NFC.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back