PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post another late night rant

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
I think as Brady has a couple more great years and maybe wins another with a new team, and BB maybe wins another with a new QB, we’ll look back in a few years and wonder how the two of them only won 6 together.
This is a reach... there's a reason why they have more rings than anyone, or Philadelphia broke a 48 year drought when they finally won in 2017. It's really hard to win a ring, just because the Pats made it look easy... doesn't make it so.

In the near decade in-between championship runs the Patriots paid their QB at the top of the league, at the bookends he was a rookie to start, and by the end he took a little less and the team was borrowing from future cap space.

One might argue that top end QB contracts are prohibitive to winning rings if you don't already have a championship roster secured around said QB.

I don't believe that anymore. In fact after watching Brady last year, I think it is entirely possible that he wins more with a better GM.

To your second point, it absolutely does. Brady won the SB at age 43 in year one and is favored to repeat. I am not sure how else one proves their worth other than winning apart from the other person.

Because painting it as either/or is frigging idiotic. It was a both/and. There's been no GM in the history of the sport that's kept putting quality teams together over a 20 year period like BB. Obviously Brady is a huge part of that but he's not the ONLY part of that. That's an absolute insult to the other great players and contributors that have helped NE win. Brady doesn't win SB 36 without Law or Vinatieri. He doesn't win SB 49 without Butler. He doesn't win SB 51 without Edelman and Hightower. And he didn't win SB 42 or 46 (when he didn't have a healthy Gronk). Football is the ultimate team game. It takes a LOT of things working together well in order to win. I mean, in SB 46, Brady hit Welker for what likely would have been the clinching completion but Welker didn't hang on. Conversely, Brady didn't play very well in SB 53 but the defense was phenomenal.

And it's been ONE YEAR. Nothing is proven other than that Brady has shown he can win a SB without Belichick. Which is awesome - great for Brady. But it doesn't mean Belichick cannot win without Brady. It's been one year.

Kevin Durant went to the Golden State Warriors, LeBron brought all his All Star friends to Miami to win rings, Tom went to the most talented team in the NFL that had everything but a starting QB and a left tackle... they used their #1 pick on a left tackle and spent their league leading cap space to improve the team depth.

Comparing a free agent player to a GM is dumb. It can take years, multiple seasons to fix a mess and rebuild a football team. Bill flipped the Pats in one, but he's not very good at his job.

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

Because painting it as either/or is frigging idiotic. It was a both/and. There's been no GM in the history of the sport that's kept putting quality teams together over a 20 year period like BB. Obviously Brady is a huge part of that but he's not the ONLY part of that. That's an absolute insult to the other great players and contributors that have helped NE win. Brady doesn't win SB 36 without Law or Vinatieri. He doesn't win SB 49 without Butler. He doesn't win SB 51 without Edelman and Hightower. And he didn't win SB 42 or 46 (when he didn't have a healthy Gronk). Football is the ultimate team game. It takes a LOT of things working together well in order to win. I mean, in SB 46, Brady hit Welker for what likely would have been the clinching completion but Welker didn't hang on. Conversely, Brady didn't play very well in SB 53 but the defense was phenomenal.

And it's been ONE YEAR. Nothing is proven other than that Brady has shown he can win a SB without Belichick. Which is awesome - great for Brady. But it doesn't mean Belichick cannot win without Brady. It's been one year.
You are completely discounting Brady's ability to elevate those around him. There is a reason we were going nowhere in 2001 until he stepped on the field and all of a sudden the Oline gelled and Troy Brown didn't get cut again. Ty Law has said as well as Woody and McGinest. Brady changed the entire tenor of that team when he came on because let's face it that roster was one of the worst in SB history, if not the worst to win the SB.

I think it's because the cancer of talk radio, particularly Cap-is-Crap Felger and the clown beside him is thick on this board.

"Team Bill" "team Brady" "honks" etc., really takes the fun out of it.

Watched some of the game last night. Brady can still sling it - the Patriots made a mistake in not just paying him to 45, if that's what he wanted. Sure, their roster wouldn't have been this good - not sure Brady would have won another ring here, where he's got a good shot at 2 with Tampa - but for the brand of the Patriots and the fan base, it still would have been a better outcome.

Okay, but that's done, and anyone saying they enjoyed 2019 after the first half is...weird? I have a hard time rooting for the Bucs, even while I root for Brady.
Gronk screwed the Pats. Wouldn't play here and retired AFTER the best TE FAs were off the market.
AB broke the team and put Brady into an emotional tailspin.

So here we are as Pats fans, with a (brilliantly) rebuilt roster, a 1st-round QB who looks promising, and Ken, and everyone, knows that all year will be "Brady>BB!" and "BB made Brady" and "nyah nyah nyah."

It's ridiculous.
Spot on in every way. I wish TB12 was still here, but he's not. Ignore the noise and look foward to a new era.

Didn't Guerrero train Willie McGinest? Sounds like baloney.
Here's the article.
McGinest swears by him. Helped him and other Patriots with their training.

Actually I think Mac Jones right now is the perfect candidate to show that Bill has it and can win w/o Brady:

1. Bill won a SB 1st year that Brady played, a QB selected in 6th round. Pats were not even considered a playoff team back then and it followed a 5-11 year.
2. Bill selected Mac in 1st round, something he'd never done before. He also doesn't have to deal with a veteran QB controversy like w/ Drew.
3. By all accounts Mac is NFL ready, coming from Bama under coach Saban. PFF rated Mac the top QB in the preseason.
4. Bill spent an NFL record amount of $$ during FAcy to restock roster with veterans on both sides of the line. Team has more weapons than during Tom's first SB win.
5. Bill's put together what on paper looks like a top 5 D, which he had 1st year w/ Brady.

All of this ads up to an enormous amount of pressure on Bill to perform. Everyone has the Pats as a contender and even SB threats. There's really no excuses. Bill needs to at the very least make it to AFCCG, imo to temper the perception of TFB>BB.

It would be awesome if he could pull it off.
from your keyboard to God's monitor.

You are completely discounting Brady's ability to elevate those around him. There is a reason we were going nowhere in 2001 until he stepped on the field and all of a sudden the Oline gelled and Troy Brown didn't get cut again. Ty Law has said as well as Woody and McGinest. Brady changed the entire tenor of that team when he came on because let's face it that roster was one of the worst in SB history, if not the worst to win the SB.

Brady was a second year player who was mostly a game manager in 2001. He wasn’t Brady yet. He became the starter at the end of the second game of the season and the Pats went on to lose two of the next four games. They came together over the season because the team gelled and almost all Belichick teams get better over the course of the season.

Ok, so I'm listening to those pukes on the Felger and Mazz, and they are doing their usual schtick about how the Bucs season just proved how it was all about Tom and Bill is overrated and got his rep on Tom's back. It's not like I hadn't heard this crap before. And I understand that after 20 years of having to eat Bill's sh!t and LIKE It, the media is going to take any opportunity to get back at the guy who has tormented and made their lives difficult for the last 2 decades. But for some reason this was the one that broke this camel's back. So many MYTHS that they were spouting, I turned them off and started thinking about what I would say to them if I had had them my car. Actually Felger would be the only one in my car, Mazzarotti would have had to listen from the trunk.

Here are what I believe are the myths that most of the mediots and too many of the fans around here keep on propagating.

MYTH ONE: Tom BradY was the sole reason why the Pats were so good for so long and last season proved it.

Now Tom is TRULY the GOAT, and what he's accomplished for SOOOO long is nothing short of miraculous. And he clearly has been the most important individual player of the 2 superhowl runs. So this is NOT about hating on Tom, but rather understanding how interdependent the success of ANY individual player, even the QB is on the rest of the players on the 53 man roster......AND the coaches and systems that they play.

This isn't basketball or hockey where 3 of 4 great individuals can transform a team. This is FOOTBALL The ULTIMATE team game. If having a good/great QB was all you needed, then why have so many great QB's have put up super numbers and didn't win titles or have have won just one or two over lengthy careers. Matthew Stafford is the poster boy of this myth. In the 10 seasons from 2011-2020 Stafford has throw for over 4200 yds 8 times and in one of the 2 years he didn't, he averaged over 300ypg for the 9 games he played. He played 16 games in 9 of those 10 years, and in the only year he DIDN'T get to 4000 he missed by 230 yds The man is a good QB who hasn't won many games when he has played against good competition. I heard this stat, but can't confirm it, but in his 12 years in the league he has won 6 games against teams that finished the season with winning records. I find that hard to believe quite frankly, but it is something I happened to hear coincidently when I switched the channel to WEEI. Do you think Stafford will repeat that THIS year when he is with a good team with good coaching around him like the Rams.

Think about the other great QB's of this era. Brees, Manning, Rodgers, Rivers, , Rothlessberger, even Cam when he was a top 10 QB, All put up great numbers, yet only got to the big game once or twice during careers that spanned over 15 years And think about all the QB mediocrities who DID make it to the Superbowl and some even won it. Christ, Rex Ryan put a really good team around Mark Freakin' Sanchez and got to the AFCG in his 2nd year.

I played the game for a lot of years and coached a lot more. I love the game of football (though a bit less since Polian and Goodell to an axe to it) and quite frankly I take great offense to the Felgers and media marketers of the world who look at the game as being Brady vs Prescott instead of the Buc's vs the Cowboys

Myth 2 - Bellichick chased Brady out of NE because his ego couldn't take the competition, AND didn't want to pay him what he wanted.

Its a nice story, especially in a media market that loves to tear down it's heroes even more than they love to build them up. But it's a scenario that doesn't bear up to close scrutiny. Like other such myths like Bill was forced by Kraft to trade Garropolo in the middle of the 2016 season

Brady leaving was much more about where the team was heading and where BRADY wanted to be at the tail end of his career. Just look back. For a 6 season stretch (2014-19) the Pats were in the playoffs for 6 years, the Superbowl for 4 years, and won 3 of them. When you have that kind of success, it comes with burdens. Most of them revolve around the cap. The Pats pretty much had gone "all in" for a number of years, and by 2019, the cap wall had been hit and hit hard. The Pats entered the 2020 season with a $1MM QB and were STILL up against it. Image what it would have been if they had a $25MM QB.

2020 was going to HAVE to be a reboot season and it showed in the talent level on the field. Well, if you were Tom Brady and at age 43 had a very finite number of year left, would you really want to spend it while your team rebuilt around you for about 2 of the 3 odd years you have left. I don't think so. AND if you loved and respected what he did here for 20 years, you WOULDN'T want him to. Gronk was gone, AB shot himself out of town (by his own actions) and what was left couldn't stand up to the end of the 2019 season, and it was only going to get worse in 2020.

And as far as the myth the Pats didn't want to pay him, let me ask you this. Do you really the difference between 15MM and 25MM was gong to make a SMIDGEON of difference in Tom Brady's life style. It wouldn't have take a foot off his new yacht. It wasn't about the money. It was somewhat about getting out from Bill's shadow perhaps, but never about the money. I just don't see a scenario where he would have stayed. So I was thrilled when he went to a team that accumulated the finest set of offensive skill players in the league...by far. (THREE #1 type WR's, THREE starting quality TE's including the GOAT, and a more than solid running game). I was very happy for him, and then he got even luckier by ending up having what turned into the best defense in the playoffs as well.

What I DON'T understand is why you can't be happy for Tom, and still recognize the brilliance Bill's coaching. The fact that Tom won, shouldn't mean that Bill is a fraud because he had ONE 7-9 year after TWENTY!!!!!! winning seasons in a row So now you understand why Felger's smarmy lead in today "how do you feel about Tom's (not the Buc's) Banner day infuriates me so.

BTW- Great game tonight - TB caught a break at the end, but the home team sometimes gets those calls or non-calls. Didn't watch the entire game, but for what I DID see, Tom looked like Tom (he's still apparently good at football), and Gronk looked like Gronk and then some. Vita Vea was THE beast, and I hope that our run defense looks like the Buc's on Sunday. They shut down a good OL and an excellent RB. 108 passes :eek:
I second the motion to toss Mazz in a trunk. @Sicilian had a nice explanation on why chainlink fence is handy in another thread...
Great Players > great coach. Pats just happened to have both when we were winning.

Also Brady without Bill > Bill without Brady. Proven. Looks like there’s no Belichick magic or a system after all - I mean he couldn’t make Cam a good QB. But Brady single-handedly turns a 7-9 team into a Super Bowl champion and a team that looks like they’re going to steamroll the league in 2021.
...and Cam is still unemployed. The fact BB got anything from him says enough. Cam's mechanics are trash. Did he think he was playing basketball last year? How else do ypu explain all the bounce passes?

Brady singlehandedly turned the Bucs around? Lol, do go on. AB, Gronk, Evans, Godwin all say hello. The defense that turned it on down the stretch would like a word as well.

Brady singlehandedly turned the Bucs around? Lol, do go on. AB, Gronk, Evans, Godwin all say hello. The defense that turned it on down the stretch would like a word as well.
Do you not realize they haven’t made the playoffs since 2008? Also, Gronk, AB, Fournette don’t go to Tampa without Tom.

This is denial at its finest.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back