PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Andy Benoit: "On film, Tom Brady is just as good as he's ever been"

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Butler being fine made him come out yesterday and say he hasn’t been fine. You aren’t making sense. A player is actually...follow me here..contradicting...what you are saying.

What does that say about you, considering your screenename? I’m not moving any goalposts. Was some emotion as you said? Probably. If TB and co hadn’t called the team out I’d feel differently.

He likes the "moving the goalposts" smoke.

Yeah like the Pats did week 1 in 2003. Talk to us later down the road, not 2 weeks after we play a ****ty game and had a good one since.

I don’t remember the ‘03 game a whole lot. I can’t remember if they gave up at any point. It was ugly, but they’ve changed as a team since then. They don’t give up at all no matter what. The KC ‘14 game was proof positive of their willpower.

I’d say the Saints game was the same. They fought for everything and that was a clear differentiator from week one.

I love Brady, but the Patriots have had a top 10 D in all 7 SB years, and 2 of them were number 1 scoring D. Over all Belichick has built incredibly well rounded TEAMS over the entirety of his tenure. He has like 13 top 10 Defenses. As a comparison the Packers have only had ONE top 10 D during all of Rodgers years, and that is the year Rodgers won the SB.

Brady is easily the GOAT QB, but Belichick is in charge of all of it. Those Defenses are a key part of all the success.

The 2011 defense was a dumpster fire. The only thing they were Top 10 in was interceptions and turnover (neither of which they got in Super Bowl XLVI). They were next to last in Total Defense.

2011 Final Stats: Patriots Defense Ranks 31st in the NFL
2011-d.PNG

you know......sometimes when you're so old, you don't feel as spry.....you have good moments and bad moments

it doesn't get any better

and when you get old, you're not always performing.........which is why your spouse has to do some things herself.....like this

tumblr_okxoqv01mT1rvn2ylo1_500.gif

So Butler being fine made him come out yesterday and say he hasn’t been fine. You aren’t making sense. A player is actually...follow me here..contradicting...what you are saying.

What does that say about you, considering your screenename? I’m not moving any goalposts. Was some emotion as you said? Probably. If TB and co hadn’t called the team out I’d feel differently.

This would mean something if there hadn't been a litany of Pats players in the past say the same thing in the wake of a bad game. Butler was fine against the Saints. This "I need to get better", statement from Butler means nothing because they all, including Brady, say the same thing. Again...

You were saying? Team is junk. Too many holes. Nothing you can hang your hat on and say that's good.

Team is cooked. Butler can't over anymore (nothing new even in lreseason). Brady can't throw better than 45 percent. (He is 40.) D is a sieve.

Add in the injuries that contribute to the above and you get what we see. An 8-8 team.

Absolutely NOTHING in that quote indicates you were talking on a week to week basis. Nothing. You were quite CLEARLY talking about the 2017 version of the team as a whole. Further, "nothing you can hang your hat on and say that's good" with a mention of Brady two sentences later is you including Brady in that statement. You then hammer the point home by pointing to his age as being a reason for him not being able to throw for better than 45%. You were being a complete, and utter, moron. That's nothing out of the ordinary for you, though. So yes, you saying that you were speaking from a week to week standpoint is you moving the goal posts. I will reiterate that we will do this every... single... week.

I love Brady, but the Patriots have had a top 10 D in all 7 SB years, and 2 of them were number 1 scoring D. Over all Belichick has built incredibly well rounded TEAMS over the entirety of his tenure. He has like 13 top 10 Defenses. As a comparison the Packers have only had ONE top 10 D during all of Rodgers years, and that is the year Rodgers won the SB.

Brady is easily the GOAT QB, but Belichick is in charge of all of it. Those Defenses are a key part of all the success.

Ahhh, much of those early SB winners were not BB's decisions, he inherited them.

The 2011 defense was a dumpster fire. The only thing they were Top 10 in was interceptions and turnover (neither of which they got in Super Bowl XLVI). They were next to last in Total Defense.

2011 Final Stats: Patriots Defense Ranks 31st in the NFL
View attachment 18020

Yeah that defense was spoken about in glowing terms around here for being middle of the pack in points allowed, but that was a trash bag unit. That Brady almost dragged that team to a W in the Super Bowl is truly a miracle.

You know, I will get flack for this but in the Brady/Belichick argument, I really do believe Brady has been key. Maybe 60/40 in Brady's favor but still key. He is just absolutely incredible and I don't think the NFL will see another player like him for another 50-60 years.
This is always a tough call, the 2008 season was the most incredible coaching job, maybe ever by a head coach. To go 11-5 with Matt Cassel was amazing. That team also didn't have a 1st round pick (Spygate) and tons of veterans either left or were in decline.

But I've never seen anything like Brady. Since Deflategate he's just been unstoppable. Probably better than he's ever played except during the 2007 season. Greatest of all time, even at 40.

Another loser pink hat. Let me explain this slowly.

Brady looked like junk week one. Inaccurate passes and generally poor play overall. These aren’t even my words. These are NFL writers.

I laugh at all who are so deluded that they cannot see reality. Again, this what happens to all forums time. The instant cracks appear, those who refuse to see them go running for the hills if someone dares to call as it is. I said nothing different than (paid) media members across the board were saying.

An 8-8 team is what we saw week one. Period. An 8-8 team has its QB, a tackle who never says anything, and others calling out the team for its lack of effort. Teams can go one way or the other. The ‘09 team went in one direction, this one seems to be heading the other way which is great. Time still will tell.

Contracraption and his gang will be the first to leave when the current dysnasty is over. That will be good because those who cannot accept facts as they currently are aren’t needed.
That was mean. I like to think of myself as a loser faded-red hat.

sorry, rodgers couldn’t produce like brady even if he played with belichick’s defenses.

Brady looked like junk week one. Inaccurate passes and generally poor play overall. These aren’t even my words. These are NFL writers.

Brady was fine in week one. A solid performance. He managed to move the team and take care of the ball despite anemic running and receivers who got little to no separation. We had 3 cheapo running TDs that if they were short Brady passes would have boosted his PR to normal career level. We scored 27 points on a good team. That should have been enough to win except for one of the worst defensive displays in BB's entire tenure.

sorry, rodgers couldn’t produce like brady even if he played with belichick’s defenses.

Not like Brady, but he'd have more than one Super Bowl. The only time Rodgers ever had a competent defense, he won the big one. Nobody would be able to produce like Brady. It's very arguable that the NFL will ever see that kind of run, from anyone, again.

Should the unthinkable happen I think a BB vs Brady matchup would be as intriguing a matchup as it could get in this sport in our lifetime.

Hopefully it never happens but... wow. I’d watch.

Agreed but the 2011 Pats were by no means a great or even good defense. Vince Young even threw for 400ish on them.

Brady got them to the SB and it didn’t hurt that the AFC was lousy that year...

I laugh at all who are so deluded that they cannot see reality. Again, this what happens to all forums time. The instant cracks appear, those who refuse to see them go running for the hills if someone dares to call as it is. I said nothing different than (paid) media members across the board were saying.

An 8-8 team is what we saw week one. Period. An 8-8 team has its QB, a tackle who never says anything, and others calling out the team for its lack of effort. Teams can go one way or the other. The ‘09 team went in one direction, this one seems to be heading the other way which is great. Time still will tell.

Contracraption and his gang will be the first to leave when the current dysnasty is over. That will be good because those who cannot accept facts as they currently are aren’t needed.
What we saw in week 1 was not an 8-8 team. It was an 0-1 team that played a bad game.

The 2016 D was #1 by scoring more than anything else because the offense was so adept at controlling time of possession and field position. Anyone who thinks the 2016 Pats D was the best in the league was apparently watching a different sport than I have been.

Brady looked like junk week one. Inaccurate passes and generally poor play overall.

Lots of us said Brady played a bad game week 1, and none of us had anyone jump down our throats. The reason why is because we called it what it was: a bad game. Where you went off the rails, and got called out extensively, is in that you went way beyond just calling it a bad game. You were ready to bury the team in general and Brady specifically and declare them irrelevant based on that one performance. That is what every reasonable poster here objected to. It was way, way too hysterical of an overreaction based on one game. As many of us pointed out at the time, all you had to do was wait a week for the doomsday prognostications to look utterly foolish.

These aren’t even my words. These are NFL writers.

NFL writers are some of the dumbest mother****ers on the planet earth. No case is made stronger by citing the fact that the Sal Paolantonios and John Claytons and Chris Mortensens agree with you.

And therein lies the complete pointlessness of making broad, sweeping declarations based on one game. Every year, the patriots play at least 2 games where, if you took them in a vacuum, you'd conclude that the team sucks and is going nowhere. That's the nature of the game, and it's why everyone who's been around the block a couple times knows not to do it. Again, nobody criticized you for acknowledging that the Pats played a ****ty game. The problem was when you started making sweeping declarations about the trajectory of the team and the GOAT QB's career arc based on that one game.

To be blunt, I'll take his understanding of football and of the team--strengths, weaknesses, broad perspective, all of it--over damn near anyone else here's, and certainly over yours. If your argument requires you to conclude that 98% of this forum is pink hats, it's likely that you're the one who isn't coming from a place of reason.

It's really kind of a bummer, I was genuinely hoping you'd take the week 2 performance as an opportunity to reconsider whether you'd overreacted and try to approach the forum and the game itself in a more measured and reasonable way. Based on this post, it sure looks like you decided to double down on a load of bs instead.

What is ironic is that Viper is calling everyone a pink hat yet he is acting and showing that he is a text book pink hat. You cant get much more pinkhaty than completely panicking over one game,calling the season, and then trying to use the idiotic sports writers to defend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes