PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An NY Jets fan's opinion (backed by stats) telling why the Jets will prevail Dec. 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: An NY Jets fan's opinion (backed by stats) telling why the Jets will prevail Dec.

I'm not trying to downplay the massive difference in recent Patriot vs. Jet success....but having a lead at halftime in the AFCCG last year is definitely sniffing the Superbowl.

I could always bring up how the Patriots have done nothing since Spygate....but I won't go there.

Probably for the best, since they had an undefeated regular season, and were mere minutes away from the first 19-0 season in NFL history, post-spygate.

Last edited:
Re: An NY Jets fan's opinion (backed by stats) telling why the Jets will prevail Dec.

More Jets nonsense...

Brady doesn't throw it farther than 3 yards, that's not impressive.

Brady rarely makes difficult throws, this isn't surprising.

Brady only has a higher YPA because of his receivers YAC.

Peyton doesn't have the group around him to do that. His OL is worse and the receiving corps as a whole is definitely NOT playing as well as NE's - without injuries, Colts corps is probably better.

Manning can't just dump it off for 3 yards and expect 8-10 yards every play like Brady can. Totally different set of offensive tools. You would expect ANY QB to have VERY few interceptions if they just play it safe the majority of downs, dumping off 3 yards.

Their dinking and dunking 3 yard passes on very play may work against some teams, but once they encounter someone who can score on their defense, what happens is that they can't move the ball quickly enough or counteract being kept off the field. This is not the same Patriots team from 2007 that would get owned in TOP and still win, or the Saints, or the Colts.

Belichick is afraid to let Brady air it out regularly anymore because of what happened with Moss - Brady had at least 5 dropped would-be INTs when he was constantly airing it out very early in the season. Now he not only doesn't have an INT in a while, but not even a close dropped would-be INT because he keeps safely dumping it off for 3 yards.

Patriots are a joke tbh

Yeah, and I'm only 25 and have been a fan since the early 90s. Does that make me a bandwagon fan? I can't be a fan for longer than I've been a live...

This is what the Jets bandwagon looks like up close....

Car_On_Blocks.jpg

Last edited:

Almost winning the Super Bowl doesn't change the fact that they didn't win it.

I'm done with that argument though, I know it won't end well and I'm sure you guys are sick of it...

Yes, it's true that almost isn't winning it. However, they made it to the Super Bowl, post-spygate. That's not "have done nothing". That's "have done more than any Jets team since 1968."

He will not be responding. He had me at "you are all cowards".

sipa_patton_071112_ssv.jpg

"You god damned coward!"

I'm not trying to downplay the massive difference in recent Patriot vs. Jet success....but having a lead at halftime in the AFCCG last year is definitely sniffing the Superbowl.

No, it's definitely not. In order to "sniff a Super Bowl", you'd have to be in it. That hasn't happened for the Jets since The Beatles made their last public performance.

I could always bring up how the Patriots have done nothing since Spygate....but I won't go there.

It would be a copout. Besides, there are many ways that a Pats fan can confront you on that. We can do what Deus has done, which is remind you that we still "sniffed a Super Bowl" and an undefeated season without it. We can remind you that the infraction was due to WHERE we filmed the plays. We can remind you that the Jets were so pathetic at that time that Jets fans definitely shouldn't be whining about it. Hell, there are numerous roads we can go down with that one.

Trust me. No Jets fan is going to win in the smack talking department with a Pats fan.

These Jets fans faces are going to be covered in egg come next Monday night. Cannot wait!:)

These Jets fans faces are going to be covered in egg come next Monday night. Cannot wait!:)

If we win, they won't be here come next Monday Night save for maybe Gunnails. If they win next Monday Night, this thread will most likely be among the first threads locked and moved. :eek:

More Jets nonsense...

What do you expect from fans of a franchise that has not won anything since Moby **** was a minnow. Let's not forget that their Super Bowl winning quarterback modeled panty hose.

If we win, they won't be here come next Monday Night save for maybe Gunnails.

Probably true. The rest of them will go so deeply into hiding as to be the envy of family Von Trapp.

Since you took the time to put this together, and while I'm sure many of my colleagues here have probably already obliterated your points of view, I thought I'd add my 2 cents. It only seemed fair....and polite ;)

=eifmp;2364069]First some opinions about differences between week 2 and now
I'm going to disagree with a lot of what you posted, but it should be noted that, by and large it was a good effort, and a fair presentation. That being said...... :D

A) Santonio Holmes as a receiving threat: How will the Patriots deal with him?
Holmes will get his share of catches. Why should he be different from EVERY other WR in the league we've faced. But from the Jet games I've watched, his greatest damage comes AFTER the catch. Say what you want about this defense, but by and large its a good tackling defense, especially in the backfield. The key in this game is to make sure that the vast bulk of Holmes' yards come through the air....not after.

B) A 100% Darrelle Revis: Who will he cover and can he be as effective as he has been recently? Revis has held Greg Jennings, Andre Johnson, Calvin "Megatron" Johnson, and Terrell Owens to 61 yards total. Will Tom Brady be afraid to throw in his direction?
I think he's been less than shut down this year, I can't get that image out of my head of Kevin Walter beating him by 2 yds...only to drop the perfect pass. That being said, who ever he covers is likely in for a long day. I think it will be Branch. However there WILL be a couple of plays where he IS going to get open. It just a matter of will Brady be able to get him the ball

C)Calvin Pace as a pass rusher/run stoper: He missed the first 4 games of the season. How will his presence in this game help with the pass rush/run game?
Pace is a good player, but he hasn't been the IMPACT player player you paid all that money for (few high priced FAs are). The Jets D was good without him.

D) O-Line improvement: Jets had a 2nd year player starting in only his second game at RG (Matt Slauson). The Patriots had 3 sacks that game. That has only happened 1 other time this season (Hou). Part of that is Mark Sanchez's ability to escape the rush and still make plays. Will a team that's currently 21's in sacks be able to get constant pressure on the QB? Will they be able to contain Sanchez once/if he escapes the pocket?
Slauson isn't playing great...OR poorly. The Pats will likely have the same luck sacking Sanchez as the Jets will have sacking Brady....very little. Both teams are weak in this area. My guess will be just one or 2 per team, and THEN mostly because of good coverage.

IMHO, Sanchez becomes more dangerous OUTSIDE the pocket. I see the Pats trying to keep him in the pocket, instead of all our rushes from the outside and try to make him feel the pressure up the middle..

1) Sumthin's gotta give: Either Tom Brady's 25 straight (regular season) home wins will cease or the Jets current 8 straight (regular season) road winning streak cease. Jets are a better road team than home team anyway, winning 11 of the last 15 games on the road including the playoffs.
Being at home is a huge advantage. THIS time its the Pats with the advantage. It makes it easier to play offense. Its easier to substitute. Conversely its harder for the visiting team. The Jets have not played anyone on the road THIS year the caliber of the Pats. It will be a hard to overcome. Home field is a great equalizer.

2) Danny's impact: Will Danny Woodhead and the Patriot running game have an impact in the game vs the Jets? The stats say 'no' he would not. The Jets are the NFL's 4th best rush defense: The Patriots have faced two teams ranked higher: The Chargers (3rd) and the Steelers (1st). They both held the Patriots rushing attack under 100+ yards.
The Jets better respect the Pats rushing attack. And while no Pats individual rushed for 100 yds against Pittsburgh the cumulative effort of all the Pats RBs was just over that 100 yd mark. Woodhead did have little impact in the running game against the Steelers and SD, but he did average 10 ypc against both teams (5). He's a match up problem for the Jets, but based to these stats, he shouldn't be a big rush threat. BJGE didn't do much in the SD game, but averaged 4.8ypc vs the Steelers. And now that Mankins has had a few games under his belt, the Pats running game has been getting progressively better.

The question you may want to ask is what do the Pats have to fear from the Jets RBs? - LT started out like a house on fire, but in the last 6 games has been very pedestrian, and so has inconsistent Greene, who has been a fumble waiting to happen. If you ask me, I'm more worried about Brad Smith having an impact on the game, than either of them.

3) Sumthin's gotta give part two: Tom Brady is on Fire. The Jets are 12th in fewest passing YPG (210.6), allow the 4th worst QB rating (75.8), and is tops in the league in lowest completion percentage allowed by opposing QB's (50.3). They held Tom Brady to his 2nd lowest completion percentage this season (55.6), and his 2nd lowest QBR 72.5. Tom Brady has faced 4 teams this season that has allowed fewer passing yardage per game than the Jets. San Diego, Indy, Miami, Baltimore. In those 4 games vs those upper echelon passing defenses Tom has been sacked 11 of his 15 times this season and has thrown for under 200 yards passing in 3 of those games (SD, Miami, Indy).

This is a lot different offense than the one you saw in week 2, and clearly much better. Just remember how the Jets completely controlled Brady in game one last season, and how differently the 2nd round turned out.

Its taken a while for this offense's current incarnation to get in synch. Welker is healthier, the rookie TEs now have 11 games under their belts. Woodhead is now an intergral part of the offense. And Brady is controlling it all. The Stat you really want to focus on is Brady has had just 3 picks this season (the 4th was a hail mary at the end of a half) and 23 TDs. AND ZERO turnovers in the last several games.

4) therefore forcing them to abandon the run. While the rushing attack was able to get the better of the Minnesota and keep Adrian Peterson off the field. In the two games the Patriots lost they were out gained on the ground by 75 (NYJ) and 136 (Cle). Not only did they keep Tom Brady off the field, they eliminated any running threat and thereby putting more pressure on Tom Brady to be flawless.

Again a lot of the Jets rushing success came early in the year. Now you have one guy who is seriously slipping, and another who you can't trust to hold on to the ball. The Jets may win this game, but it won't be because they ran all over the Pats.

5) We all know this will be the best rushing offense the Pats will have faced all season. But what else is there? Well...the Jets avg 40.1 net yards punting (5th in the league) and are tied for the league lead with 26 punts killed inside the 20. They are 2nd in the league in kick return average at 26.9. All this adds up to winning the battle of field position. They are 9th in the league with 37 passing plays of 20+ yards and 6th in the league with 9 passing plays of 40+ yards, both ranking are higher than New England's, despite all the Mark Sanchez naysayers out there. The Jets have only allowed 1 300+ passing game all season (Chad Henne) and that was without Darrelle Revis.
The Pats have been very good on special teams, though losing Gotskowski has hurt our KO coverage. I think the Jets have more to worry about when they have to line up for a FG, than the fact that their punting net is slightly higher than the Pats. :rolleyes:

Quite frankly...The Patriots have not faced a team this season who is above average with regards to running the ball & defending the run & defending the pass & explosive pass plays with the punting/kicking to win the field position battle all rolled into one. Not to mention the Jets have the 4th best starting field position in the NFL. This is the best combination of offense, defense and special teams in the NFL. This is why I think the Jets will win by a touchdown next Monday.
Well if you are going to rely on stats and rankings so much. How about the fact that your QB is near the bottom in most QB stats. That while he started out like a rocket, he has had 8 picks to go with his 8 TDs over the last 6 games. That one of Brady's WORST performances of the year (that 55.6% one that you mention earlier ) is higher than what Sanchez averages.for the year. Be careful about stats. They often lie.

So you are coming into this game vs a white hot offense, with an offense of your own that is starting to sputter...against lower caliber competition. You better hope that the Pats defense lives up to its lowly reputation.

I predict Jets 27 - Patriots 20.
Your guess is as good as mine....and I don't have one. OK I guess I should..... 24-17 Pats.

People want to Jump on the San Diego Chargers bandwagon...but of their 5 losses 3 of them were to teams under .500. Not me sir. Would rather barely win vs sub .500 teams than lose to them
Well if that rationalization makes you feel better about the fact the Jets have had only ONE quality win....and that was over 2 months ago....so be it. The Pats have had to beat the iron all season (3-1) and after they beat the Jets they will have to CONTINUE to do so, with games against the Bears and Packers, plus ending the season with 2 tough divisional games against the Bills and Dolphins. Teams that the Pats beat, but its NEVER easy.

2) Danny's impact: Will Danny Woodhead and the Patriot running game have an impact in the game vs the Jets? The stats say 'no' he would not. The Jets are the NFL's 4th best rush defense: The Patriots have faced two teams ranked higher: The Chargers (3rd) and the Steelers (1st). They both held the Patriots rushing attack under 100+ yards.

Patriots netted 103 yds rushing against the Steelers. How is that under 100?

Patriots netted 103 yds rushing against the Steelers. How is that under 100?

obviously you are making THE fundamental mistake that all fans of the 31 other NFL teams make on a consistent basis...you presume that Jet fans are from this planet....they are not. They hail from planet Moron and it's moons,Troglydyte and Tri-braincell.

Great analysis Patfanken. :rocker:

"Quite frankly...The Patriots have not faced a team this season who is above average with regards to running the ball & defending the run & defending the pass & explosive pass plays with the punting/kicking to win the field position battle all rolled into one."

Who exactly have the Jets faced this season? they've built a 9-2 season on teams below .500. and their 1-2 against a winning team, whereas the pats have beat baltimore, pitt, indy, and SD. all teams with winning records

ProFootball Weekly via Yahoo

Attention visitors: Revis Island is open for business again.

After missing all of training camp because of a contract holdout, CB Darrelle Revis(notes) started off the season slowly from not being in proper playing shape and was famously burned by then-Patriots WR Randy Moss(notes) on a long one-handed TD grab in Week Two. A hamstring injury forced Revis to miss two full games and parts of others before the Jets' Week Seven bye. But the All-Pro is now 100 percent healthy and back in elite form. Since the off week, Revis has held Greg Jennings(notes), Calvin Johnson(notes), Andre Johnson(notes) and Terrell Owens(notes) to a combined nine catches for 74 yards, well below the norm for the group of elite wide receivers.

I could be wrong, but I believe Jennings was 2-20 or 3-30 with Revis on him

Hmm.. No link.. But let's say it is accurate... That still blows up what EIFMP said in his OP.... Again, he doesn't let facts stand in his way of blathering..

stats are for losers:D

I have an opinion, backed by stats, telling who will win

Pats 45-3

See the signature

Last edited:

I have an opinion, backed by stats, telling who will win

Pats 45-3

See the signature
The Pats run on and dismantled the Steelers and Jets. Not bad for apparently "no running game" ;).

Wow shut out the offense. Who says our D sucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back