PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An Interesting Ranking List

Status
Not open for further replies.

HailHydra

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I happened to come across this list that ranked all positions in the NFL this year by the Top 100. They gave a grade breakdown, explanation, and more. I found it really interesting to notice the lack of Patriots' talent on the DLine to be particularly interesting.

NFL1000: Ranking the Top Defensive Tackles of 2017 Season

You can go through and look at other positions as well.

Akiem Hicks and Chandler Jones ranked top 3 at their respective positions.

Wish we had players on D like that!

'We' do, they just happen to play at the safety position. (Chung & McCourty both ranked 2nd at their respective positions)

'We' do, they just happen to play at the safety position. (Chung & McCourty both ranked 2nd at their respective positions)
Patrick Chung was a pleasant surprise

I think giving up on Jones was one of the worst mistakes Belichick made with personnel. He's usually a very good personnel guy, so this isn't chronic or anything, but a top pass rusher is a guy you keep.

I think giving up on Jones was one of the worst mistakes Belichick made with personnel. He's usually a very good personnel guy, so this isn't chronic or anything, but a top pass rusher is a guy you keep.

Would you invest 83 million into that position though?

I think giving up on Jones was one of the worst mistakes Belichick made with personnel.

Would you invest 83 million into that position though?

I wouldn't but even if you would, is Chandler Jones the guy you'd do it for?
And what players would you be willing to do without over the next 4 years to accommodate his cap hits of $15.5m, $19.5m, $19m and $18.5m? Because that's why the decision was made to trade him. The harsh reality of the cap and it's impact on team building is easy for us as fans to ignore but the Pats never do. How they've handled it is one of the primary reasons they have stayed at the top of the mountain.

I wouldn't but even if you would, is Chandler Jones the guy you'd do it for?
And what players would you be willing to do without over the next 4 years to accommodate his cap hits of $15.5m, $19.5m, $19m and $18.5m? Because that's why the decision was made to trade him. The harsh reality of the cap and it's impact on team building is easy for us as fans to ignore but the Pats never do. How they've handled it is one of the primary reasons they have stayed at the top of the mountain.

I don't want to sound as if I'm dismissing @primetime 's position because having an elite pass rusher would be nice. The problem with a pass rusher, imo, is that they often neglect the edge. I'd prefer generating pressure by collapsing the pocket, occasional stunts and a few blitzes.

My thinking out loud:

Malcom Brown, Adam Butler, VV and Guy are a great group to add to. Find a Branch replacement and this line is solid.

Trey Flower is a stud. Wise's second year along with River's first year will be fun to watch. Having Harrison back for another year would be nice as well.

Linebacker needs some speed. Hightower is a stud and a leader. KVN is solid. Find an LB with better than sloth like tendencies and they'd have a good complimentary LB corp.

McCourty, Chung and Harmon are solid.

Gilmore, Rowe, ???? (The Butler situation sucks but the best of luck to him)

Anyways it'll fun to see how this offseason shakes out.

I don't want to sound as if I'm dismissing @primetime 's position because having an elite pass rusher would be nice.

It certainly would be and I'm not dismissing the impact of having one. But to say trading him was "the worst mistakes Belichick made with personnel" ignores the reality of cap management.

It certainly would be and I'm not dismissing the impact of having one. But to say trading him was "the worst mistakes Belichick made with personnel" ignores the reality of cap management.

True. I disagree with that. That trade turned into Thuney and Mitchell who were key contributors in SB 51.

BB usually has luck with signing UDFA's......there's that :)

Snap Quickness: 25 points. How quickly does this tackle react to the snap? Can he get out of his stance and move forward before his blockers take him on, or does he work at a disadvantage because he's a step slow too often?
My methods are needed more than ever.

They can hang it next to the "Best Regular Season Stats" banner and under the "Passed the Eye Test from Fans" banner
Don’t forget the “defense is fine” banner, awarded from weeks 6-17.

(Ducks) :D

It doesn't necessarily do that, IMO. It prioritizes differently, but they've paid the coin on the DL before. They paid Seymour and Wilfork. I wasn't for shelling out for Jones, either, but it wouldn't have been something unheard of at Gillette.

Last edited:
Shirtless Chandler Jones went to police station looking for help

If you think a BB coached team is going to turn its' eyes away from the EVIDENT MASSIVE ILLEGAL DRUG OVERDOSE you belong rooting for the NY Rats and their ship of drunks, 140 mph reckless driving drug using child endangering miscreants and team cancers.Krist ,what a bunch of football morons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes