PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An interesting list of what can we get from QB desperate Teams for our pick #3

Good Day Cousins,
Excellent Saturday breakfast of thick maple cooked bacon, two eggs over easy topped with graded Mexican cheese, a fluffy pancake with butter and real maple syrup, Cranberry pomegranate juice and coffee with peppermint chocolate creamer.

To ponder trading out of pick #3. It seems like our forum is split. If we had the pieces I would say take a QB at three, but alas, we have too many holes to sacrifice some young kid or a bridge QB. Who blocks? Who catches. I have watched the tape. There are no Strouds or Andrew Lucks in the holy 3..

So for your entertainment or wrath, I am listing the Teams that could or want to move up. Take your pick to decide how this can help win more games in 2024.

Remember, if we give up #3 and slide down we can pick up a decent OT or WR and pick a QB later on. Stats say only 49% of Round 1 QB ever get a second contract. Most are busts or at best mediocre. Are you happy to Draft a QB at #3 with less than a 50% chance to make it? There are some decent QB that might be available at pick #34 like Nix, Pennix or Rattler or I am in the religion of trading for Fields and giving him a show-me year. He has got NFL Tape. I think he can still be good.

Here are my thoughts:

NYG at pick #6. Pick #6+They have pick #39 and pick #47. We exploit them of a few hundred Draft value points but they might just stay the course with Jones.

Tenn. at Pick #7. Pick #7+How about DL Jeffrey Simmons? I don't think we can get another pick.

Atlanta at pick #8. Pick #8+Perhaps TE Kyle Pitts and their #1 pick in 2025.

Minn at pick #11. Pick #11+(My favorite trade). WR Jefferson and their 2025 first rounder.

Denver at pick #12. Pick #12+CB Patrick Surtain Jr. plus pick #181 and their first rounder in 2025.

Vegas at pick #13. Pick #13 +LT Kolton Miller, pick #44, pick #77 and their first in 2025.

Sleeper pick=Steelers. It was suggested in a press release this week that to get a QB in the top three perhaps T.J. Watt should be sacrificed. Would you trade #3 for Watt, their pick #20, their pick #51 and their first rounder in 2025?

For fun.
DW Toys
The Steelers trade would be a grand slam if McCarthy somehow lasted to pick 20.

THE PATS should be THE QB desperate team at #3, let’s not **** it up. Maye or Daniels could change your team’s fortune. Even Harrison Jr. could change your team’s dynamic. Don’t trade down, that’s a losing team’s move. Don’t give up a chance to change your franchise at QB or WR.
If you can trade down with Arizona so that they can take MHJ then that is a no-brainer.

The Pats still get the QB they wanted at #3 and gain some other draft capital.

Maybe, but if you take the Chargers pick, Cards will trade 4 to someone like the Falcons so you can't drop lower than the Cards. Even then, it's a gamble, since the Cards might give you a 3rd round pick at best because they know they are the only option if they know you want QB at #3 but then the Cards could turn around and get a bigger hall, still draft Nabors or Odunze at 6-8 and get future firsts.
Nabors and MHJ are not far apart, and you also have Bowers who is as highly rated at TE as MHJ is at WR, and Odunze is just a step below them. Charger and Cards have lots of options to get a receiver by trading down or just staying where they are.

If you like a QB you must take him at 3, playing games could burn you. If you like McCarthy over whomever is left at 3, go for it, but if you want Daniels or Maye take them at 3.
Yes, that could happen too.

Trading down with Arizona would net you maybe a 2nd, but then Arizona trades down for a haul since they can get a great WR later.

Tough choice.

Take Maye at #3 or trade down and hope you can still get McCarthy.

Trading down with Arizona would net you maybe a 2nd, but then Arizona trades down for a haul since they can get a great WR later.

Tough choice.

Unless the target is Fields or Mayfield, but I agree with you 100 percent.
My perfect draft would be to take Harrison JR then trade back into the first using our second and a first next year for McCarthy around the 10th pick if he is still there.

I think the only team that might be willing to give you a large package, like 3 firsts and then a 2nd this year is Atlanta because in that division they are a QB away from playoffs. Of course, the future firsts are likely in the 20's.
I think 8 is as low as you can go and still get one of the tackles or McCarthy if you decide on QB #4,

After watching every throw/run by McCarthy and Daniels against Alabama I came away thinking in those games Daniels was much better. McCarthy is good on the run throwing, tends to bail on the pocket all the time, not so accurate from inside the pocket.
Daniels, surprisingly, hung in the pocket way more the JJ, and when he took off and ran, he made the 5-star Alabama recruits look silly. When McCarthy ran was not in the same ballpark. The Daniels to Lacy touchdown Thow down the middle before half was a great throw over the middle in a tight window.

Both QB's had some bad throws, had some bad decisions but Daniels way just more impressive than McCarthy vs Alabama despite LSU losing and Michigan winning.

I think the only team that might be willing to give you a large package, like 3 firsts and then a 2nd this year is Atlanta because in that division they are a QB away from playoffs. Of course, the future firsts are likely in the 20's.
I think 8 is as low as you can go and still get one of the tackles or McCarthy if you decide on QB #4,

After watching every throw/run by McCarthy and Daniels against Alabama I came away thinking in those games Daniels was much better. McCarthy is good on the run throwing, tends to bail on the pocket all the time, not so accurate from inside the pocket.
Daniels, surprisingly, hung in the pocket way more the JJ, and when he took off and ran, he made the 5-star Alabama recruits look silly. When McCarthy ran was not in the same ballpark. The Daniels to Lacy touchdown Thow down the middle before half was a great throw over the middle in a tight window.

Both QB's had some bad throws, had some bad decisions but Daniels way just more impressive than McCarthy vs Alabama despite LSU losing and Michigan winning.
Cousin, The pure fact is that the Holy three have .....holes. I cannot say any are elite.
McCarthy does not have tape to corroborate that he is elite. He is the biggest mystery.
Best arm is still Rattler...call him a JAG is you want. Put him on those Teams below and he is a top ten pick.
Most likely to get hurt? Penix.
Jayden Daniels=Joshua Dobbs. Some good and some bad
Nix? Which version will you get..Auburn or Oregon?
Williams? I think the Bears and he are married.

So we pick a QB at three. You can't put him on the field with the jokers we have now. He will get the Davis Carr syndrome His NFL career will be demoralized. That is why I can't see us trading down and building a viable Tea.
Purdy is not the best but he works hard at putting his Team in the right position. Jackson could not do it. Dak could not. . Josh Allen? Nyet!

Would Judon and TJ Watt give the offense more plays and time of possession? Would Jefferson win a few games by himself? If you get a good deal you need to consider a move down. What bothers me is Groh did the Draft the last couple years.....poopy.

DW Toys

Arizona as I recall has to make the pick and can't trade the 3rd pick after just getting it. It may also be a stipulation to the original trade.BB never made a trade that permitted the other team to retrade the pick immediately and this was or is a common practice. The team aquiring the choice has to make the pick. So if you do get additional draft capitol from Arizona you don't have to worry about them pulling a fast one. So we could make the pick or trade down again....

Arizona as I recall has to make the pick and can't trade the 3rd pick after just getting it. It may also be a stipulation to the original trade.BB never made a trade that permitted the other team to retrade the pick immediately and this was or is a common practice. The team aquiring the choice has to make the pick. So if you do get additional draft capitol from Arizona you don't have to worry about them pulling a fast one. So we could make the pick or trade down again....
To the best of my knowledge, teams can't encumber draft picks that way: if Mayo traded 3 for 4, ARI could do whatever they want with 3. They can certainly enquire as to general plans (e.g., if MIN wanted to trade up for 3, Mayo could ask them what position they planned to draft) before agreeing to the trade.

These 2 guys are entitled millennial.. Brady is from the last real era of guys that came from the bottom and fought to the top.. zap was apparently telling people on the team he will end up being the starter when he got cut! LOL. Unbelievable. Zappe is what he is.. a practice squad player who can play ok in spurts not a starter in the league. Mac he just needs a change of scenery.. he isn't the mental assassin that an aphla at QB needs to be in the league.

I still think Zappe can turn into a solid back up. The question is whether he is willing to accept that role. It is one thing to become a back up and be willing to fight hard in practice to show you are capable of starting and then make the most of your start if you get one. But Zappe seems to believe a starting role is a birthright. I am not sure he is good for being here if the Pats are developing a rookie especially if they wait until later in the first or early second to draft him.

People assume that the friction between Zappe and Jones was 100% Jones. Based on how Zappe carried himself when he got the starting job and some of his press conferences (the cloud nine comment for example), I am not sure there wasn't blame to go around for the toxic QB room last year and the year before.

Last edited:
Cousin, The pure fact is that the Holy three have .....holes. I cannot say any are elite.
McCarthy does not have tape to corroborate that he is elite. He is the biggest mystery.
Best arm is still Rattler...call him a JAG is you want. Put him on those Teams below and he is a top ten pick.

So we pick a QB at three. You can't put him on the field with the jokers we have now. He will get the Davis Carr syndrome His NFL career will be demoralized. That is why I can't see us trading down and building a viable Tea.
Purdy is not the best but he works hard at putting his Team in the right position. Jackson could not do it. Dak could not. . Josh Allen? Nyet!

Would Judon and TJ Watt give the offense more plays and time of possession? Would Jefferson win a few games by himself? If you get a good deal you need to consider a move down. What bothers me is Groh did the Draft the last couple years.....poopy.

DW Toys
If our QB whisperers felt he was the best choice, imagine the bounty we could get with a trade down or two, and pick Rattler at #34.

I think all the gushing about the top three and the belief there is a massive drop off from the top three QBs and the rest of the field combined with the belief next year is going to be a bad draft class could get multiple teams willing to give up a lot. When you draft a QB at #3, you are hoping to get a franchise QB for the next 15-20 years and not just someone who will make you a contender right away. So I can still see teams like the Raiders, Vikings, Broncos, and Titans potentially being willing to move up. Of course it would take a lot for the first three to make that move based on their draft position.

I still think Zappe can turn into a solid back up. The question is whether he is willing to accept that role. It is one thing to become a back up and be willing to fight hard in practice to show you are capable of starting and then make the most of your start if you get one. But Zappe seems to believe a starting role is a birthright. I am not sure he is good for being here if the Pats are developing a rookie especially if they wait until later in the first or early second to draft him.

People assume that the friction between Zappe and Jones was 100% Jones. Based on how Zappe carried himself when he got the starting job and some of his press conferences (the cloud nine comment for example), I am not sure there wasn't blame to go around for the toxic QB room last year and the year before.
Agreed 100%... neither have shown in this organization that they are worth keeping around during the build-back. I just want a new, fresh, talented QB room. Guys that are leaders and will actually lead. We have some leaders on defense where are the leaders on offense at the skill positions. ?

Tough choice.

If Maye is there you take him. Hoping that McCarthy will still be there, then hoping he will become a really good pro QB is too much hoping. You can get your franchise QB, starting OT , and a really good WR simply by staying in place and making your picks. That alone is a great haul for any draft, and it addresses their 3 most pressing problems. And Maye is a much better prospect than McCarthy is.

JJ Mccarthy would be a damn good consolation prize.
If Mayo trades 3 to Atlanta for 8, could take JJ Mccarthy at 8 and with extra picks get a WR and some OT's.
Still hoping Drake Maye is there at 3.

Where did this sudden yearning for McCarthy come from that’s seemingly mentioned in every draft related thread for the last few days?

Agreed. McCarthy is 21, Daniels is 23. The question is how will McCarthy look in 2 years? The next 2 years could be huge growth years for McCarthy who works hard and is still getting better.

Where did this sudden yearning for McCarthy come from that’s seemingly mentioned in every draft related thread for the last few days?

I don’t get it either. Suddenly the fact that he’s a year younger means he gets a pass on mediocre production. But most of it comes from this yearning to pass on potential franchise QB’s just to pick up one more player in the draft. I think it’s nuts.?

DW Toys

How about if we sign Chris Jones to a 200 $$$ million deal in free agency and then trade Bailey Zappe, Chris Jones and our #3 to Zkansas City for Patrick Mahomes? Then sign Victor Wembaya to play WR for us, and trade him to Minnesota for Justin Jefferson. and Trade Mac Jones to Atlanta for Kyle Pitts. That would be awesome! Who’s with me ?

It's kind of strange how I know nothing about college football but I was told by a stranger at a bar to keep an eye on JJ McCarthy, who I never heard of before that day. And now his name comes up all the time here as a viable option.

Every single year the talent level at QB varies and there could be anywhere from 0-8 QBs who make it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Pats get one this year.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back