PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Amari Cooper traded to cowboys

At best w these picks they'll be treading water in that division in 4-5 years. Again good luck selling that to fans of a new team. No QB. No playmakers.

Ha, what does Vegas care? It’s the tourists and the hotel tax paying for their stadium. They can wait it out.

Gruden is an overrated coach, whose value was inflated because he is a media darling.. one good year in Tampa 16 years ago does not make a great coach. Wonder how long the marriage of him and Reggie McKenzie will last..

Gruden was pounding the table for Johnny Football & has a winning % below Chuck Pagano.

Far be it from me to defend Gruden that clown but according to Lombardi the Pats had both JimmyG and Manziel similarly rated in terms of football ability. And went with Jimmy because of his demeanour.

So thinking highly of Manziel is not like a black mark on Gruden.

Far be it from me to defend Gruden that clown but according to Lombardi the Pats had both JimmyG and Manziel similarly rated in terms of football ability. And went with Jimmy because of his demeanour.

So thinking highly of Manziel is not like a black mark on Gruden.
Pounding the table for a bust like JFF in the top 5 is absolutely a black mark. Just bc NE supposedly had a similar grade on JG/JFF doesn't change anything.

@luuked So basically bc the NE had a similar grade on a terrible player it makes it ok that Gruden did as well.

Last edited:
I think way too much credit is given to Gruden. I like the returns he got for Mack and Cooper (especially), but both players were already there, and draft picks alone don't really do much. It's the same with having a lot of cap space; it just means there are more possibilities, but you can also botch them and be in a worse position long-term.

But I don't see Gruden as some mastermind here, coldly assessing this situation and going into teardown mode. I see him as a failing coach who is embarrassed by his pitiful return and now looking to announce with a foghorn that this isn't his fault but the team he inherited. He'll buy himself a year or so to escape criticism, but eventually some questions will be asked about why they're paying $100M to a guy whose reputation was always much larger than his actual impact.

Hard to disagree with this. And Carr has a mega contract so you're wed to him for the foreseeable future.

Stockpiling picks is really all you can do at this point because this team right now is no contender

I remember that Bledsoe signed his big 10-year deal right before the 2001 season. People said there was no way the Patriots could trade him after the 2001 season and that the Pats were committed to Bledsoe.. Well, we know that wasn't the case because Bledsoe got traded after the 2001 season to the Bills.

With the Raiders having nearly $75M in cap space in 2019 with Carr on the Roster, they could easily eat the 22.5M remaining by trading him to a QB needy team (Jacksonville, Tampa Bay, Tennessee).

I like what he’s doing. He wasn’t going to win with those players mine as well acquire assets that fit his system. And I liked Mack for Chicago, changes their defensive outlook.

As for Dallas, I hate this move for them.
O.K. Cousins I will join the fun and a three way DWTOYSpaloosa.

Eli Manning to the Jags for a first and Bortles. Derek Carr to the Giants for a first and Bortles.

Bortles is at least serviceable for the remainder of the year and no worse than a shell shocked Carr is playing. The Jags are in QB trouble. Bortles and Carr have almost the same stats this season They both have 1,700 yards plus. Bortles has 9 TDs to Carr's 8.

The Jags pick up Manning, a Coughlin disciple with another 2-4 years to play and they are playoff ready. Great scenario for Manning. Giants have to look rebuild.

Carr can be fixed. He has shown flashes he can be a top QB and that might fix the Giants QB problem as he is also 10 years younger than Manning. He has a great receiver in OBJ and a move TE in Evan Engram.

With another #1 pick for 2019, the Raiders can survive the rest of a dismal year with Bortles. With QB desperate Teams, Bortles might be an addition to the Broncos for 2019 for a mid round pick for Gruden. If he plays well? Who knows.

Now the Pats are in the act. TE Jared Cook and Bruce Irvin for a younger Derek Rivers (or Grissom) plus a third rounder. For CAP reasons, Allen might have to be included for the balance of 2018. Gruden gets a young pass rusher he seeks and moves younger with another top three round 2019 pick.

Next the Pats go for two players from the Cards....yes two.
Peterson for a second Rounder (instead of drafting a S/T Safety in Round two who is really a 5th Rounder in this years Draft like our crack scouting staff chooses) as we have 2 seconds and the outgoing DT Malcom Brown. We would have to include Willie Nelson Harmon for CAP reasons and DB hole in AZ now created.

Bonus? , the Pats do a resign and Trade (Ray Bourque deal) for Larry Fitzgerald in a Thank You Tour for the balance of 2018. Has to make CAP sense.

Eric Rowe becomes a S with coverage ability and bigger than Harmon or D Mac. Might be his best position. He helps our seam coverage.

At TE Holister is too fragile for this League. Allen is a one shot pony. Cook would help the beat up Gronk similar to Bennett.

Irvin is 30 but still disruptive. Rivers so far is an understudy. He is not outplaying Flowers or Wise who are young. Irvin can play another few years. You still have Clayborn. Great rotation.

M Brown is inconsistent but young enough for the front D of the Cards. Harmon is good but Peterson is better.

This would be fun. It's CAP creativity for the Pats that works.
DW Toys

Cowboys could have had Gordon and Earl Thomas for a 2nd and a 5th, but instead they got Cooper for a 1st. Oops.

The Jags pick up Manning, a Coughlin disciple with another 2-4 years to play and they are playoff ready. Great scenario for Manning. Giants have to look rebuild.

Eli Manning does not have 2-4 years left as a useful NFL quarterback. Negative 2-4 years, maybe.

You are suggesting the jags trade a first round pick (not to mention a player too) to the giants for the guy whose the primary reason the giants suck?
Let’s see? Keep my first round pick or trade it to get the corpse of a QBs who wasn’t very good when he was young?

O.K. Cousins I will join the fun and a three way DWTOYSpaloosa.

Eli Manning to the Jags for a first and Bortles. Derek Carr to the Giants for a first and Bortles.

Bortles is at least serviceable for the remainder of the year and no worse than a shell shocked Carr is playing. The Jags are in QB trouble. Bortles and Carr have almost the same stats this season They both have 1,700 yards plus. Bortles has 9 TDs to Carr's 8.

Carr can be fixed. He has shown flashes he can be a top QB and that might fix the Giants QB problem as he is also 10 years younger than Manning. He has a great receiver in OBJ and a move TE in Evan Engram.

With another #1 pick for 2019, the Raiders can survive the rest of a dismal year with Bortles. With QB desperate Teams, Bortles might be an addition to the Broncos for 2019 for a mid round pick for Gruden. If he plays well? Who knows.

Now the Pats are in the act. TE Jared Cook and Bruce Irvin for a younger Derek Rivers (or Grissom) plus a third rounder. For CAP reasons, Allen might have to be included for the balance of 2018. Gruden gets a young pass rusher he seeks and moves younger with another top three round 2019 pick.

Next the Pats go for two players from the Cards....yes two.
Peterson for a second Rounder (instead of drafting a S/T Safety in Round two who is really a 5th Rounder in this years Draft like our crack scouting staff chooses) as we have 2 seconds and the outgoing DT Malcom Brown. We would have to include Willie Nelson Harmon for CAP reasons and DB hole in AZ now created.

Bonus? , the Pats do a resign and Trade (Ray Bourque deal) for Larry Fitzgerald in a Thank You Tour for the balance of 2018. Has to make CAP sense.

Eric Rowe becomes a S with coverage ability and bigger than Harmon or D Mac. Might be his best position. He helps our seam coverage.

At TE Holister is too fragile for this League. Allen is a one shot pony. Cook would help the beat up Gronk similar to Bennett.

Irvin is 30 but still disruptive. Rivers so far is an understudy. He is not outplaying Flowers or Wise who are young. Irvin can play another few years. You still have Clayborn. Great rotation.

M Brown is inconsistent but young enough for the front D of the Cards. Harmon is good but Peterson is better.

This would be fun. It's CAP creativity for the Pats that works.
DW Toys

Love the creativity but being very generous giving Eli 2-4 years

You are suggesting the jags trade a first round pick (not to mention a player too) to the giants for the guy whose the primary reason the giants suck?
Let’s see? Keep my first round pick or trade it to get the corpse of a QBs who wasn’t very good when he was young?

And we got what for JG who played three games and a backup and we claim we were robbed? Yep in this day and age Manning brings a #1st round pick and so does Carr. Do I agree? No. Jerry just traded for Cooper in a daring move.
Manning has more yards and a better completion percentage and more yards than Brady on a terrible Team. Also less INT's, so AJ I guess he could get a first.
Flacco has the same yards and way less percentage. Manning and Cousins have the same completion percentage and almost the same yards. Not a Manning fan but I bet Elway would trade for him and abandon the Keenum experiment. He has more yards than Newton, Rothlisberger and Wilson and a better percentage......just saying. Not bad for 37.

As a Jags QB, who would you fear in a playoff game, Bortles or Manning?
DWToys

And we got what for JG who played three games and a backup and we claim we were robbed? Yep in this day and age Manning brings a #1st round pick and so does Carr. Do I agree? No. Jerry just traded for Cooper in a daring move.
Manning has more yards and a better completion percentage and more yards than Brady on a terrible Team. Also less INT's, so AJ I guess he could get a first.
Flacco has the same yards and way less percentage. Manning and Cousins have the same completion percentage and almost the same yards. Not a Manning fan but I bet Elway would trade for him and abandon the Keenum experiment. He has more yards than Newton, Rothlisberger and Wilson and a better percentage......just saying. Not bad for 37.

As a Jags QB, who would you fear in a playoff game, Bortles or Manning?
DWToys
There is no way in earth anyone would trade a #1 pick for Eli Manning. Not any chance at all.
He is the primary reason the giants suck. He will make any team he goes to worse.
He has led his team to 30 points 1 time in 38 games in 3 seasons.

Last night in the first half he was 13/16 for about 150 and his team scored 3 points. That is what Eli does. He keeps his team from scoring.
Your stats are funny. 53% of his throws are either to obj or Barkley and the Barkley throws are dumpoffs, many of which he shouldn’t throw but doesn’t know better.

Did you not see his screw up the end of the game at the goal line?

I would be more concerned about losing to the jags with Bortles at qb than decrepit old Eli.

There is no way in earth anyone would trade a #1 pick for Eli Manning. Not any chance at all.
He is the primary reason the giants suck. He will make any team he goes to worse.
He has led his team to 30 points 1 time in 38 games in 3 seasons.

Last night in the first half he was 13/16 for about 150 and his team scored 3 points. That is what Eli does. He keeps his team from scoring.
Your stats are funny. 53% of his throws are either to obj or Barkley and the Barkley throws are dumpoffs, many of which he shouldn’t throw but doesn’t know better.

Did you not see his screw up the end of the game at the goal line?

I would be more concerned about losing to the jags with Bortles at qb than decrepit old Eli.
Fair enough.
DW Toys

I remember that Bledsoe signed his big 10-year deal right before the 2001 season. People said there was no way the Patriots could trade him after the 2001 season and that the Pats were committed to Bledsoe.. Well, we know that wasn't the case because Bledsoe got traded after the 2001 season to the Bills.

With the Raiders having nearly $75M in cap space in 2019 with Carr on the Roster, they could easily eat the 22.5M remaining by trading him to a QB needy team (Jacksonville, Tampa Bay, Tennessee).

Very true. I guess we'll have to wait and see if Carr "turns back" into the guy who threw 32 and 28 touchdowns... which may take a while knowing Gruden's emphasis on precision in his offense

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back