PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alston Jeffrey stops following Eagles on social media and takes down all his Eagle images.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Eagles don’t really want him anymore, why would we?

His problem are definitely injuries. If healthy Alshon can play. Good hands,very physical and can fight in the air. I am in if the price is acceptable.

1. Guaranteed contract.
2. We hopefully have the a younger, stronger version of him in Harry.

Alston Jeffrey took his stuff down? bet that's news to Alshon Jeffery...where's he moving...Brookline or Brighton?

Brandon Marshall is a good comp for Harry. Guy didn't get a ton of separation but he had a darn good career.

Brady is heavily dependent on WRs who can get separation, get to an exact spot on the field, and have good timing.

I think Harry is a bad match for a guy like Brady, but potentially a much better fit with a QB who is less dependent on WRs with those traits of precision and detail described above, such as Stidham perhaps.

Whose Alston and Goddart?

Seriously though, I think Curtis Samuel is a much better trade target

I am always willing to learn. Can you tell me how what restructures means. I know you can restructure contracts but I did not know there was a certain amount that was part of some different type of cap? I always just see available cap space and then look up the players contract. Would be greatly appreciated.

I'll I've 2 examples.

TRADE FOR JEFFRIES
Say the contract calls for salaries of $10M for 2020 and $10M for 2021. There is other stuff, but those don't affect us; they have already been paid by PHI.

Say that we would rather have caps of $6M and $14M. We would then sign Jeffries and then restructure the contract. The new contract has the same totals as the original. The change is when the money is paid, and whether it is bonus or salary. Most contracts give the right to the team to restructure at any time. [It can't the player{.

The key is that bonus money is spread over the life of the contract.

old contract
--------------
$10M 2020 salary
$10M 2020 cap

$10M 2021 salary
$10M 2021 cap

new contract
---------------
$ 2M 2020 salary
$ 8M 2020 bonus
$ 6M 2020 cap ($2m plus 1/2 of $8M)

$ 10M 2021 salary
$ 14M 2020 cap ($10M plus 1.2 of $8M bonus paid in 2020)

Note that the amount received by the player is the same, and that the total cap is the same under both contracts
======================
SIGN CAM NEWTON
Say that we are willing to sign Newton for a guaranteed $30M for 2 years plus incentive bonuses.

I would sign a 3 year contract, planning to pay $30M for the two years over 3 years. I would expect Cam to play for 2 years, although we could renegotiate the 3rd year at any time.

$2M 2020 salary
$18M 2020 bonus
$0-10M in 2020 incentives
$8M 2020 cap ($2M plus 1/3 of $18M plus $0 incentives )

$10M - 2021 salary
$0-$10 2021 incentives
$16M ($10M, plus $6M plus 2020 incentives [as $0 now]

$25M - 2022 option to be paid by March 1, 2022
$15M - 2022 salary
$6M - 2022 cap (1/3 of $18M if option isn't signed)

Clearly you have zero capacity to account for health and improvement but go on trolling this board. It's funny.
Mind you this is the guy who just recently posted that he won’t be content until Devin McCourty and Slater are gone.

I have liked Jeffrey in the past, but this is a move for a team with cap space that believes Jeffrey could put them over the top. Pats don't have cap space and I don't think they are that close to the top.

Mind you this is the guy who just recently posted that he won’t be content until Devin McCourty and Slater are gone.
Hes a miserable troll. Probably misses going to high school.

His problem are definitely injuries. If healthy Alshon can play. Good hands,very physical and can fight in the air. I am in if the price is acceptable.

I would give up a 6th round pick for Alshon and a 7th. He's obviously on the way out of Philly. Question - would he even fit under our cap though?

I'll I've 2 examples.

TRADE FOR JEFFRIES
Say the contract calls for salaries of $10M for 2020 and $10M for 2021. There is other stuff, but those don't affect us; they have already been paid by PHI.

Say that we would rather have caps of $6M and $14M. We would then sign Jeffries and then restructure the contract. The new contract has the same totals as the original. The change is when the money is paid, and whether it is bonus or salary. Most contracts give the right to the team to restructure at any time. [It can't the player{.

The key is that bonus money is spread over the life of the contract.

old contract
--------------
$10M 2020 salary
$10M 2020 cap

$10M 2021 salary
$10M 2021 cap
Thank You so much. As I said I am always willing to learn even at 60 years old. With that being said I love Thuney but it looks like it may not get done so $15 mil there plus some restructures means we have the capability to still fill some holes. DL, WR. Again thanks
new contract
---------------
$ 2M 2020 salary
$ 8M 2020 bonus
$ 6M 2020 cap ($2m plus 1/2 of $8M)

$ 10M 2021 salary
$ 14M 2020 cap ($10M plus 1.2 of $8M bonus paid in 2020)

Note that the amount received by the player is the same, and that the total cap is the same under both contracts
======================
SIGN CAM NEWTON
Say that we are willing to sign Newton for a guaranteed $30M for 2 years plus incentive bonuses.

I would sign a 3 year contract, planning to pay $30M for the two years over 3 years. I would expect Cam to play for 2 years, although we could renegotiate the 3rd year at any time.

$2M 2020 salary
$18M 2020 bonus
$0-10M in 2020 incentives
$8M 2020 cap ($2M plus 1/3 of $18M plus $0 incentives )

$10M - 2021 salary
$0-$10 2021 incentives
$16M ($10M, plus $6M plus 2020 incentives [as $0 now]

$25M - 2022 option to be paid by March 1, 2022
$15M - 2022 salary
$6M - 2022 cap (1/3 of $18M if option isn't signed)
Thanks that explains alot. Makes this season alot brighter. I knew that we always restructured current players contracts to clear room. Doing it on a trade is something I never thought of. Thanks again

Honestly 3 destinations make sense Houston,New England,Green Bay

I wouldn't be surprised if we are working on a trade maybe involving Thuney for Alshon.
Now our 2 newest tight ends aside I would prefer Goddart.

Probably headed to Tampa Bay.

People need to understand that NE makes sense for NO wr right now. You come in and get passes from an unproven rookie and blow-up your career numbers. Unless Pats given a multi-year career making deal with a huge guarantee, which they never will.

BB is going to soon realize it was Tom and not his deal-making prowess that was attracting talent. Randy Moss e.g. coming here was a direct result of Tom, guaranteed. Similar other examples.

Nope, got to watch him up close in Philly the last few years, While he averages about 4.5 catches and 65 ypg ( pro rates to a 1000 yd receiver) it sounds good but he can't stay healthy ( like we need more of those type of receivers) losing about 3-4 games every year. In addition and of more concern is his catch percentage which is sub 60% for most of his career ( only 2 of 8 years over 60% and one was 60.1) even with Wentz throwing to him in Philly....For a first time QB, we need a reliable WR and he isn't it...
In addition, he is reported to be a locker room "problem"
Eagles WR Involved in Locker Room Altercation: Report | Heavy.com

maybe even being a source for the media??

That won't fly in NE..... No thanks....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye