PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post All-Time QB Rankings / QB Hall of Fame Monitor

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
The same could be said about Manning and NE standing in his way.
NE stood in the way of plenty of QBs, not just PEDton, but the true measure of PEDton's weakness was in his 9 one and done playoffs, none of which were against NE and often after having a bye. Below is the list of his one and done playoffs. I think the only team that went on to win the SB was Pittsburgh in 2005.

Year / Rd / Record / Opponent / Score
99 / Div / 13-3 / Ten / 19-16
00 / WC / 10-6 / Mia / 23-17
02 / WC / 10-6 / NJ / 41-0
05 / Div / 14-2 / Pitt / 31-17
07 / Div / 13-3 / SD / 28-24
08 / WC / 12-4 / SD / 23-17
10 / WC / 10-6 / NJ / 17-16
12 / 11-5 / Bal / 24-9
14 / 11-5 / Ind / 24-13 (PEDton was with Denver)

This entire board needs to get over its Peyton Manning hate. I hated the hell out of Peyton, but by no objective measure could I rank him any lower than 3rd all time. Despite some playoff chokes, his teams were in the thick of it every single year but two from 1999 - 2015. After all, I recall our GOAT had a ten year run of playoff chokes himself. Give the man some respect. To deny Peyton's status as a top 3 all time QB is willful ignorance.
I think what hurts PEDton is his lack of clutch play. I recently posted somewhere that I saw SI's, NFLN's, NFL Films' and Bleacher Report's top ten clutch QB rankings from a few years ago and he was only on one of them.

Brady, Montana, Elway, Unitas, Starr & Marino made all four lists.
Graham, Staubach, Stabler & Young made three of the lists.
Aikman, Bradshaw, Namath & P Manning made one list each.

As for his and Brady's chokes (your word not mine) there's a huge difference between them. Brady had 3 one and dones out of 18 playoffs. PEDton had 9 one and dones out of 15 playoffs. Your comparison of the two QB's is pretty stinky Pete.

I made a whole bunch of updates to the formulas, and I'll write about them a little later, but here are the basics:

• Playoff differential rather than playoff win points. The reasoning behind this is that moderns are double dipping, as they already have the longevity advantage, and old timers weren't able to win postseason games, so it was all-or-nothing for them too.

• But in doing this, I risked having the old time players go way too high, so I came up with an NFL Confidence Index, and I'll write a pretty long thread about it later. Basically, it's that there are problems that @Bleedthrough was talking about with stats reliability. So, I created a sliding scale percentage where players only get a certain amount of their performance points, depending on how back they go. Example, somone in the 1930s might only get 50% of their score; this can work both ways because some of the scores are really low; but in all, it brings the scores closer to the mean. I actually have it running from 1967 backwards because there are lots of issues with treating the NFL the same post-merger and pre-merger, which I'll get into (rival leagues, sub-standard professional stuff in some instances). And finally, there are questions about the quarterback himself, and his role in the passer rating and winning pct index. I'll give some examples later, but I like the solution because (it eliminates absurd outliers numbers from the 20s/30s, reduces the fairly absurd numbers from Baugh/Luckman, and doesn't penalize players for winning actual championships or awards, since those should count.

• I also worked more on finding ways to award guys with pro bowls and longevity (Moon, Kelly, Fouts) whose team success doesn't align with their accolades. I created an alternative expected winning percentage based on their pro bowls/seasons ratio (example, Moon elected to pro bowl 75% of the time but only winning at 50% rate suggests he's being penalized over and over again for playing on a bad team since he gets no playoff points and no winning points), then I combined it with their actual winning pct...of course, it is just a very small part of the formula nd real winning pct is the overwhelming amount. But it does help these guys move up, and it also pushes guys like Flacco down.

• @Deus Irae I'll respond to you later about your post. You're definitely right...I try to wash out as much as possible about specific problems with great teammates and different passing eras. I'll get into it in more depth, but a few quick points: I try to balance passer rating with winning percentage to account for some of the potential gap (works both ways: Flaccos are put in check and so are Staffords); over a longer-term career, the ratings tend to even out (see Brady/Manning), and I do season-adjust all of them too. There will always be some margin of error that isn't accounted for, but the goal is that the margin wouldn't be enough to flip players who are close because there are so many other factors contributing to the score. I also created the efficiency adjustment that allows you tune down the longevity dominance and find a good balance. I actually didn't use it on this ranking, but it can make some pretty big changes.

• The more inputs, stats, new formula, era adjustments that I come across, I realize a few players are probably going to be ranked below the consensus. The most glaring one is Johnny Unitas, who was simply more of a volume achiever, and I'm not going to account for that stuff in my rankings. He's very steady and probably the most consistent in terms of wins, trophies, and performance, but his performance as seen through an efficiency lens (not volume) is going to suffer against other dominating all-time QBs. John Elway is another where I don't see him having enough steak to match up with his sizzle. And we've discussed Marino. But those two are curently at 16/17; it's not like there's a bunch of bums above them either. Being able to put Elway and Marino next to each other, with them having pretty opposite resumes, might mean it's accurate? I don't know.

1614982456926.png

Last edited:
I see something in your rankings that I think might be able to offer some insight into how people like to rank players. So here it is, in the form of a question, and it's for everyone, with the hope that it gives some ideas:

Without looking at IIB's charts, and with only your own data/arguments......

Who's the better all-time QB, Favre or Rodgers?

I see something in your rankings that I think might be able to offer some insight into how people like to rank players. So here it is, in the form of a question, and it's for everyone, with the hope that it gives some ideas:

Without looking at IIB's charts, and with only your own data/arguments......

Who's the better all-time QB, Favre or Rodgers?
Rodgers for me.

Brett Favre
1 Super Bowl Win
2 Super Bowl Appearances
13-11 Playoff Record
.624% Regular Season Winning %
8 Division Championships
0 Top Offenses
10 Top 10 Offenses
0 Super Bowl MVP
3 MVP
3 All-Pro
11 Pro Bowl

Aaron Rodgers
1 Super Bowl Win
1 Super Bowl Appearance
11-9 Playoff Record
.666 Regular Season Winning %
7 Division Championships
3 Top Offenses
10 Top 10 Offenses
1 Super Bowl MVP
3 MVP
3 All-Pro
9 Pro Bowl

Even going back and adjusting stats to their era, Rodgers still has an advantage in

Touchdowns
Interceptions
Passer Rating
Peak

Favre was better at avoiding sacks, but he was also a lot worse at throwing interceptions. He was also quite bad in regards to leading a Top/Top 10 offense in comparison with other greats.

Playoff record, MVP, All-Pro, Pro Bowl all a wash practically.

EDIT: I looked at @Ice_Ice_Brady newest spreadsheet after making this post, and he has Rodgers at 26.39, Favre at 21.42.

Last edited:
Rodgers for me.

EDIT: I looked at @Ice_Ice_Brady newest spreadsheet after making this post, and he has Rodgers at 26.39, Favre at 21.42.

Exactly. He's got them separated by just 3 slots, and they obviously overlapped their careers, so the old/new differences aren't going to be quite as pronounced. That's why I think the question (well, the thinking behind the answers) could potentially help with IIB's charting.

Rodgers for me.

Brett Favre
1 Super Bowl Win
2 Super Bowl Appearances
13-11 Playoff Record
.624% Regular Season Winning %
8 Division Championships
0 Top Offenses
10 Top 10 Offenses
0 Super Bowl MVP
3 MVP
3 All-Pro
11 Pro Bowl

Aaron Rodgers
1 Super Bowl Win
1 Super Bowl Appearance
11-9 Playoff Record
.666 Regular Season Winning %
7 Division Championships
3 Top Offenses
10 Top 10 Offenses
1 Super Bowl MVP
3 MVP
3 All-Pro
9 Pro Bowl

Even going back and adjusting stats to their era, Rodgers still has an advantage in

Touchdowns
Interceptions
Passer Rating
Peak

Favre was better at avoiding sacks, but he was also a lot worse at throwing interceptions. He was also quite bad in regards to leading a Top/Top 10 offense in comparison with other greats.

Playoff record, MVP, All-Pro, Pro Bowl all a wash practically.

I'm a Favre fan and it's Rodgers. Not close either.

Maybe the peak score setting is doing it's job. I don't want to make the rankings totally changed by overrewarding based on one peak season, but the changes that it led to, if you look at the peak score point differences:

-Bigger gap between Rodgers and Favre
-Staubach moves up

It's good to at least have that option.

Some days I think Favre wouldn't be in my top 25, to be honest, but I usually rank him top 15 because he accomplished a lot.

Maybe the peak score setting is doing it's job. I don't want to make the rankings totally changed by overrewarding based on one peak season, but the changes that it led to, if you look at the peak score point differences:

-Bigger gap between Rodgers and Favre
-Staubach moves up

It's good to at least have that option.

Some days I think Favre wouldn't be in my top 25, to be honest, but I usually rank him top 15 because he accomplished a lot.
And here I was the other day saying I don't know what changes would bump one of the top 6 out. Turns out it was peak that did it.

Agree about Favre. I usually end up with him between 11-15 at the end of the day. I think that's pretty fair for him.

On the other hand, Rodgers is risk averse to the point where it hurts his team because he's not willing to gamble on a hit to his stats, and he's not been anywhere near Favre's class when it comes to 4th quarter comebacks.

Note: My above post was not meant to imply any preference on my part. It is just part of what I mean when I say that Rodgers v. Favre might be helpful. One can weigh the recklessness of Favre against the hospital corners approach of Rodgers, and how people weigh that sort of thing can have a real impact on QB rankings.

On the other hand, Rodgers is risk averse to the point where it hurts his team because he's not willing to gamble on a hit to his stats, and he's not been anywhere near Favre's class when it comes to 4th quarter comebacks.
I agree about Rodgers being too risk adverse. I think if you’re doing tiers, Rodgers and Favre could be in that same tier.

Rodgers is just higher on the all time list in my eyes though. Even being way too conservative trying to push the ball sometimes, he still wins at a higher clip than Favre did.

Every time I try to talk myself on moving Favre up I just can’t do it. The meltdowns in the playoffs in 2001 and 2004, and the back-breaking interceptions in 2007 and 2009 with a Super Bowl on the line.

I agree about Rodgers being too risk adverse. I think if you’re doing tiers, Rodgers and Favre could be in that same tier.

Rodgers is just higher on the all time list in my eyes though. Even being way too conservative trying to push the ball sometimes, he still wins at a higher clip than Favre did.

Every time I try to talk myself on moving Favre up I just can’t do it. The meltdowns in the playoffs in 2001 and 2004, and the back-breaking interceptions in 2007 and 2009 with a Super Bowl on the line.
See, you and I have a much different mindset here. I've never seriously bothered to evaluate Rodgers as an all-timer much beyond "He's not in the top 10, and I'll worry about him when he's retired, and I'm not sure that I'll end up looking at him as a top 20 QB when it's all over.

Also, I have a very difficult time busting Favre with some overwhelming comparitively negative grade in 2009, given what I just saw from Rodgers in 2020. That pick just before the half ended up costing the Packers the game.

So here's what I'm trying to do with the "old timer" problem that comes up on a lot of these lists.

There are three issues with the older players:

1. The pre-1950 data is incomplete, and the further back you go, the less reliable it gets.
2. The data itself has some problems; some of the QB stats like win % is complicated because the QB wasn't always the starter, might have been flexing in different positions, etc. Also, while passer rating is being used as a general guage, there are some really big outliers with huge inflated passer ratings despite completing less than 50% of passes; Luckman is a good example. The quarterback's role in the offense changes over time, but it's a pretty extreme contrast when you get into pre-1950.
3. There are also overall league infrastructure problems. Borderline amateur teams rotating in-and-out; rival leagues watering down the competition, etc. These problems continued to exist until the merger; that's why even 1950s and AFL/NFL accomplishments are harder to give full credit for; in the 1960s, these two leagues were almost equals, so you're really playing the equivalent of the AFC and NFC for competition.

I think that players should keep all of their accomplishments. Championships, awards...I don't like the idea of watering down those wins. A lot of these players were trailblazers for the league and pushed the standard higher at the QB position.

It's the performance scores that are the problem, as the wild fluctuations, lack of confidence in the numbers, etc. can cause problems everywhere by overadjusting, and of course, the overall fairness. The other big problem here is that, with era-adjusting the passer rating, even the league average passer rating suffers from the same issues as the individual one I'm measuring. So, to simplify, there are problems with the two major stats I'm using to create a performance score, which is a huge part of the player's ranking:

-Passer Rating (and Peak Season Passer Rating)
-Winning Percentage

What I think might be a good compromise - and what I've done in the last rankings - is create a sliding adjustment called a "Confidence Index." The way it works is like this: In 1967, the player would receive 100% of his performance score. In 1966, the player would receive 98% or so; in 1965, 97% or so. This goes down so that when we get to the 1930s, a fairly big adjustment is made. The player's confidence rating is on a year-by-year...so if you played two years, and the confidence rating was 60% and 58%, you get the average: 59%.

One point that's really important here: what this accomplishes is more "regression to the mean" than penalty. Since these ratings are based on relative era-adjustments, 0 is average. So a player with a -7 score, might only get a -4 after this adjustment. One the peak index, Sid Luckman went from having the greatest peak score ever to a very good one, still among the best ever. Otto Graham's performance stats are still really, really good, but he's no longer a ridiculous outlier who breaks the system.

Here's the chart which shows the current configurations, how much adjustment is made for each player relative to their raw scores (don't focus on the raw score because it's combining longevity, efficiency, and also some formla stuff I'm experimenting). I'd keep in mind that, even using this confidence adjustment, it still didn't kick out Baugh or Luckman from the top 10 but certainly brought some of their inflated scores down to make them less untouchable. The big plus is it can correct some outliers by bringing guys towards the mean, and it also helped out some players (they aren't shown here because they were so far down) to not take such a huge hit for a really low passer rating in the 1920s when there are only records of them throwing like 40 passes. And again, that's part of the confidence issue too, is the confidence in how much we're comparing quarterback skills to each other; so when those skills are very much in question, smoothing out the performance index and deferring to championships and awards is ideal, I think.

1615060492798.png

Last edited:
So here's what I'm trying to do with the "old timer" problem that comes up on a lot of these lists.

There are three issues with the older players:

1. The pre-1950 data is incomplete, and the further back you go, the less reliable it gets.
2. The data itself has some problems; some of the QB stats like win % is complicated because the QB wasn't always the starter, might have been flexing in different positions, etc. Also, while passer rating is being used as a general guage, there are some really big outliers with huge inflated passer ratings despite completing less than 50% of passes; Luckman is a good example. The quarterback's role in the offense changes over time, but it's a pretty extreme contrast when you get into pre-1950.
3. There are also overall league infrastructure problems. Borderline amateur teams rotating in-and-out; rival leagues watering down the competition, etc. These problems continued to exist until the merger; that's why even 1950s and AFL/NFL accomplishments are harder to give full credit for; in the 1960s, these two leagues were almost equals, so you're really playing the equivalent of the AFC and NFC for competition.

I think that players should keep all of their accomplishments. Championships, awards...I don't like the idea of watering down those wins. A lot of these players were trailblazers for the league and pushed the standard higher at the QB position.

It's the performance scores that are the problem, as the wild fluctuations, lack of confidence in the numbers, etc. can cause problems everywhere by overadjusting, and of course, the overall fairness. The other big problem here is that, with era-adjusting the passer rating, even the league average passer rating suffers from the same issues as the individual one I'm measuring. So, to simplify, there are problems with the two major stats I'm using to create a performance score, which is a huge part of the player's ranking:

-Passer Rating (and Peak Season Passer Rating)
-Winning Percentage

What I think might be a good compromise - and what I've done in the last rankings - is create a sliding adjustment called a "Confidence Index." The way it works is like this: In 1967, the player would receive 100% of his performance score. In 1966, the player would receive 98% or so; in 1965, 97% or so. This goes down so that when we get to the 1930s, a fairly big adjustment is made. The player's confidence rating is on a year-by-year...so if you played two years, and the confidence rating was 60% and 58%, you get the average: 59%.

One point that's really important here: what this accomplishes is more "regression to the mean" than penalty. Since these ratings are based on relative era-adjustments, 0 is average. So a player with a -7 score, might only get a -4 after this adjustment. One the peak index, Sid Luckman went from having the greatest peak score ever to a very good one, still among the best ever. Otto Graham's performance stats are still really, really good, but he's no longer a ridiculous outlier who breaks the system.

Here's the chart which shows the current configurations, how much adjustment is made for each player relative to their raw scores (don't focus on the raw score because it's combining longevity, efficiency, and also some formla stuff I'm experimenting). I'd keep in mind that, even using this confidence adjustment, it still didn't kick out Baugh or Luckman from the top 10 but certainly brought some of their inflated scores down to make them less untouchable. The big plus is it can correct some outliers by bringing guys towards the mean, and it also helped out some players (they aren't shown here because they were so far down) to not take such a huge hit for a really low passer rating in the 1920s when there are only records of them throwing like 40 passes. And again, that's part of the confidence issue too, is the confidence in how much we're comparing quarterback skills to each other; so when those skills are very much in question, smoothing out the performance index and deferring to championships and awards is ideal, I think.

View attachment 30930
It’s times like these where I wonder if some of my friends have the right mindset when they just rank quarterbacks in the Super Bowl era :rofl:

But seriously it’s so tough to try and gauge the pre-1950 data like you said. I’m pretty confident in Graham’s 1946-1949 data, but not so much with a couple of the others. I’ve spent so many hours looking for box scores and old newspapers from the 1930/1940 guys.

I do like your idea of the Confidence index. It’s still giving credit to the older guys but also dinging them just slightly because of incomplete stats/data. It feels like if you take the numbers at face value with era adjustments, Baugh, Luckman, and Graham are just going to lap almost everyone in those. And it’s just so tough to try and contextualize those numbers because we have no clue which games they started, their Win/Loss record, and if they were playing another position or two that same game.

And here I was the other day saying I don't know what changes would bump one of the top 6 out. Turns out it was peak that did it.

Agree about Favre. I usually end up with him between 11-15 at the end of the day. I think that's pretty fair for him.

And to your point: perhaps an overadjustment was made. Unitas really took a tumble.

From my perspective, I'd like to get more perspective on it. It would be hard to get into a deep argument about whether or not Luckman should surpass Unitas; I'd say confidently that he should not, and I believe the index I referenced in the previous post can adjust that; Luckman or Baugh shoudl not leapfrong Unitas, IMO, due to a really high peak season in the 1940s, and more adjustment is needed for their eras.

But the Staubach-Unitas question is, IMO, a pretty legitimate one. When you look at the overall performance between the two, era-adjusted, Staubach is pretty far ahead. Unitas suffers here from my calculations not including counting stats, league leading stats, consecutive touchdown streaks, etc. This is an interesting one, for sure, because you have the awards index (all-pros) favoring Unitas and the numbers favoring Staubach.

Of note: Starr is also ahead of Unitas in the passer rating scores. He has a better peak score and a better era-adjusted career passer rating. I think that's something to look at. I'm not saying the numbers are wrong...just that Unitas's overall reputation as the best passer of that era is only being represented by his all-pros and I don't know if there's an additional column needed to account for some another Unitas advantage...also makes me think of Marino.

And to your point: perhaps an overadjustment was made. Unitas really took a tumble.

From my perspective, I'd like to get more perspective on it. It would be hard to get into a deep argument about whether or not Luckman should surpass Unitas; I'd say confidently that he should not, and I believe the index I referenced in the previous post can adjust that; Luckman or Baugh shoudl not leapfrong Unitas, IMO, due to a really high peak season in the 1940s, and more adjustment is needed for their eras.

But the Staubach-Unitas question is, IMO, a pretty legitimate one. When you look at the overall performance between the two, era-adjusted, Staubach is pretty far ahead. Unitas suffers here from my calculations not including counting stats, league leading stats, consecutive touchdown streaks, etc. This is an interesting one, for sure, because you have the awards index (all-pros) favoring Unitas and the numbers favoring Staubach.

Of note: Starr is also ahead of Unitas in the passer rating scores. He has a better peak score and a better era-adjusted career passer rating. I think that's something to look at. I'm not saying the numbers are wrong...just that Unitas's overall reputation as the best passer of that era is only being represented by his all-pros and I don't know if there's an additional column needed to account for some another Unitas advantage...also makes me think of Marino.
I do find it really tough to put Luckman or Baugh over Unitas for the reasons you stated.

Staubach-Unitas is definitely interesting. When those two first pop into your mind it’s probably easy to immediately think Unitas. But Staubach has an argument. He has less longevity than Unitas (but I find it really hard to hold that against him considering it was military service.)

Unitas has him beat soundly in awards, counting stats, and black ink. But when you look deeper into the numbers you see Staubach was way more efficient. Very intriguing conversation.

It’s times like these where I wonder if some of my friends have the right mindset when they just rank quarterbacks in the Super Bowl era :rofl:

But seriously it’s so tough to try and gauge the pre-1950 data like you said. I’m pretty confident in Graham’s 1946-1949 data, but not so much with a couple of the others. I’ve spent so many hours looking for box scores and old newspapers from the 1930/1940 guys.

I do like your idea of the Confidence index. It’s still giving credit to the older guys but also dinging them just slightly because of incomplete stats/data. It feels like if you take the numbers at face value with era adjustments, Baugh, Luckman, and Graham are just going to lap almost everyone in those. And it’s just so tough to try and contextualize those numbers because we have no clue which games they started, their Win/Loss record, and if they were playing another position or two that same game.

Good points.

I think if it were only about data, it would just begin in 1949 and have more of a flat-tax concept.

The confidence problem, I think, is about data and other things too.

-Beyond quanitfying the QB starts themselves, s the QB actually "the starter" and responsible for the offense in the same way as today? Guys are playing multiple positions on offense and defense for much of the time. Which is great, and it adds value, and they should get credit; but in terms of comparing performance, I think we need to regress it towards the mean a bit.

-Beyond whether or not it's the correct passer rating, does passer rating really mean the same thing now as it did then? I know it's always an imperfect stat, but Sid Luckman hitting 107.5 for an absurd, over-the-top peak score? I think we see some extreme cases and even moreso when we adjust it to the league-average passer rating suffering from the same problems.

-Are these QBs playing against all the best players for competition? Or are there rival leagues? This is where I think Graham needs to be adjusted, as we have siphoning off talent up until 1967; the AAFC is a great example...Graham and Luckman/Baugh would have had some great games and further watered down each other's accomplishments; the Rams and Browns both crossed over and won. So, how much confidence do we have that the NFL s truly the supreme talent monopoly that it's been since 67?

I do find it really tough to put Luckman or Baugh over Unitas for the reasons you stated.

Staubach-Unitas is definitely interesting. When those two first pop into your mind it’s probably easy to immediately think Unitas. But Staubach has an argument. He has less longevity than Unitas (but I find it really hard to hold that against him considering it was military service.)
And, even worse, somehow Manning keeps getting slotted above both. Welcome to my nightmare!

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back