PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All time Draft sign up

captain stone

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reactions

I'm thinking 5 mins between picks. I actually think the first round will go extremely quick.

Ok what about Monday at 8 est? I would do this weekend but I wouldn't be able to really commit until Friday. Most of the time we don't know about working the weekend until later in the week but I'm down to even start this weekend if I'm not working

I can do that... What are the rules again?

pazrul72

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
We disagree here. Specifically talking RB LT, AP & a few others are just as good if not better. Like im not taking anyone serious who thinks Jim Brown is better than AP lol. I would gladly take both over all 3. Those scores aren't garbage but they really don't mean much to me with respect. I'm definitely not taking them into account besides a great list of names. They still haven't made a RB more prototype than LT. I'm a Barry Sanders fan boy too but there's no world where Sanders > LT. People forget about how special he was.

I think we just differ in how this will come out. For example Wilfork is extremely high on my list but good luck convincing me him and Washington won't be gassed out by the end of the 3rd IF we were only doing starters. Those two would be great in the 1st half but a while game against Allstars?

Just speculating here but I think my RB list will look a lot different than yours. It's the deepest position in the draft by far. I just erased a bunch bc I don't want to give anything up but yea I don't anticipate picking a RB early. I think my list are just different.

And this is why the results will be fun!
Do you take BB seriously? I looked up BB quote on Jim brown and the gist was he is the greatest player in NFL history. He brought Jim Brown into camp to talk to his running back room and was like wtf when they had no idea who he was, so sat them down for film work. He specifically mentioned AP not being as good due to break away speed. Not saying Bill is the be all end all and his opinion is fact, but it adds a significant piece of the puzzle in my mind to a player I am too young to have watched play in person.

Now to your point if I can get AP in the 10th (or later) versus Sanders in the 3rd I am damn happy and taking that deal all day everyday. AP is a legit RB1 that can handle 20 touches a game and is a much better value. I just see the first 3 as special, the kind of player I am building my offense around and giving 25 touches a game. That said I'm with you the value is deep, I'm not crying with any of Marshall Faulk, Earl Campbell, OJ, Terrell Davis, or even Lady T though the lasting image of her sitting on the bench head down jacket on in an AFCCG while his QB had a torn ACL? I forget I just remember it was a bad injury, makes that one a tougher choice. I like my football players tough both mentally and physically and Lady T sounds just a smidgen too much of a front running diva for my personal taste. Still....heck of a football player that opens lots of options both running and passing. If it's round 20 and I don't have a RB yet that's a hell of a value.

Just starters I'm not sure Wilfork in particular would be gassed his conditioning was top notch. He used to do laps of the pool under water to extend his playing time. Washington maybe but at that point my ball control offense hopefully has a lead and you are passing anyway. They were just examples of how you can't assume any RB will get 100 yards a game

BaconGrundleCandy

Not the kind of guy to say I told you so ...
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions
Do you take BB seriously? I looked up BB quote on Jim brown and the gist was he is the greatest player in NFL history. He brought Jim Brown into camp to talk to his running back room and was like wtf when they had no idea who he was, so sat them down for film work. He specifically mentioned AP not being as good due to break away speed. Not saying Bill is the be all end all and his opinion is fact, but it adds a significant piece of the puzzle in my mind to a player I am too young to have watched play in person.
So I love Bill and think he's easily one of the greatest minds the game has ever seen. No doubt. That said he has bias like everyone else and is also wrong about things. He has real roots in the Browns organization and obviously a soft spot for Brown. Who, yes is easily one of the GOATS but I'm taking what Bill says about players with a grain of salt. Zone match, inverted C2, player techniques. Absolutely listening intently.

Not that I think I know more. I just have different opinion and have watched it long enough to know a few things.

Like Bill had no idea what he was talking about regarding AP lol. What's funny is AP is Brown reincarnated. Both would lumber a bit at top speed. Saying AP didn't have breakaway speed is crazy man.

Definition of breakaway speed at the 50 mark. Not arguing just trying to show Bill has a lot of bias when talking about former players. As all coaches do btw. It's not just a Bill thing.

Now to your point if I can get AP in the 10th (or later) versus Sanders in the 3rd I am damn happy and taking that deal all day everyday. AP is a legit RB1 that can handle 20 touches a game and is a much better value. I just see the first 3 as special, the kind of player I am building my offense around and giving 25 touches a game.

That said I'm with you the value is deep, I'm not crying with any of Marshall Faulk, Earl Campbell, OJ, Terrell Davis, or even Lady T though the lasting image of her sitting on the bench head down jacket on in an AFCCG while his QB had a torn ACL? I forget I just remember it was a bad injury, makes that one a tougher choice. I like my football players tough both mentally and physically and Lady T sounds just a smidgen too much of a front running diva for my personal taste. Still....heck of a football player that opens lots of options both running and passing. If it's round 20 and I don't have a RB yet that's a hell of a value.
AP > Barry. Idk i think we just disagree, a lot. Which is fine but there's no world where Sanders is 7 rounds above AP imo. Even Faulk is closer to Barry imo. I don't want to get into detail but I think my RB list looks a lot different. I'll talk more about what I was looking for after and probably write a little line as why I'm taking someone.

Big point about Wilfork was having "only starters" seeing how a game might play out but yea he'll last a lot longer than Ted.

I'm interested in ur team. Ball control offense against top 5 QB all time. Brave man.

Pape

Pro Bowl Player
Reactions
What time are we starting tonight

BaconGrundleCandy

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions
8 Eastern??

What about just having the 7 people draft two different teams so we have 14 total. I wouldn't mind trying to build teams with two different methodologies just to see how they would come out. By the end of that draft there would be some interesting picks.

I also think just starting the draft in a thread and letting it run for as long as it needs to might add people. Give a time limit such as 12 hours to make your pick or the person after you gets to make it. That way if somebody makes a 2AM pick an early riser would still have time to make their next pick. I imagine there will be points of down time and boredom but also times when picks go fast. It's also better than not doing it.
Is everyone good with this?

I think tonight and tomorrow we can do 5 min between picks? After that keep it running with 12 hours hours in-between. Any missed picks will be made up at the end of the draft when it's complete. Pick from we is left.

I don't mind doing 1 or two teams. I think two would be interesting but can see how it might effect one team or another. I just think only starters will produce similar teams hard to differentiate.

pazrul72

2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
In theory at 8 but I didn’t know everyone had agreed to that or the rules. Are we drafting one team or two? Just starters or 14 per team or a full roster? how do trades work? Still feels like a lot to iron out

Pape

Pro Bowl Player
Reactions
rocky balboa GIF

Keep Going Just Do It GIF by Rocky

Sylvester Stallone Training GIF by Rocky

rocky GIF

BaconGrundleCandy

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions
In theory at 8 but I didn’t know everyone had agreed to that or the rules.
8 - 10.
Are we drafting one team or two?

Just starters or 14 per team or a full roster?
These two are biggest questions. First one mostly imo. We could just keep the thread open if we want to do more. Which I really want to.
how do trades work? Still feels like a lot to iron out
@Ian said he'd open a chat up. He probably lied. That would be perfect though. Separate place to keep the thread solely picks

Dingleberry

A master debater and a cunning linguist
PatsFans.com Supporter
NFL Picks Grand Champ!
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
What's the draft order?

Dingleberry

PatsFans.com Supporter
NFL Picks Grand Champ!
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
You shouldn't even be allowed to partake in this. You probably already have it rigged
I am the betting favorite at (+150) to be the winner.

But here's are #8 player! @BaconGrundleCandy

@Guts , come join the draft. We need an 8th person. Don't be a menace.

Dingleberry

PatsFans.com Supporter
NFL Picks Grand Champ!
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
I am realizing there is a difference of opinion on great older players.

I look at it as how the dominant the player was in his time against the players he played against. But if the attitude is how the player would be in 2023, that is a different argument. With the huge increase in the weight of the players and speed due to training advances, none of the old generation players would be as good now as they were then.

I look at it as John Hannah in 2023 would have 40 more pounds on him. Jim Brown would have the advantage of today's training. And so in. Am I looking at this wrong?

pazrul72

2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions

I look at it as how the dominant the player was in his time against the players he played against. But if the attitude is how the player would be in 2023, that is a different argument. With the huge increase in the weight of the players and speed due to training advances, none of the old generation players would be as good now as they were then.

I look at it as John Hannah in 2023 would have 40 more pounds on him. Jim Brown would have the advantage of today's training. And so in. Am I looking at this wrong?
One of the details that still need to be ironed out and agreed to. My opinion is yes John Hannah today would be at least 290 if not 300 and able to compete at the same level he did in the 70’s but I see the valid argument if he was 260 it doesn’t matter how talented you are dudes 40-60 pounds bigger then you are gonna plow that ass.

Pape

Pro Bowl Player
Reactions

One of the details that still need to be ironed out and agreed to. My opinion is yes John Hannah today would be at least 290 if not 300 and able to compete at the same level he did in the 70’s but I see the valid argument if he was 260 it doesn’t matter how talented you are dudes 40-60 pounds bigger then you are gonna plow that ass.

i am all in on selecting older players ... if this draft is supposed to represent the all time greats, then you have to... otherwise we'd just look at the last decade and pick the best of the best from then... but thats not the point of the exercise, least for me...

Dingleberry

PatsFans.com Supporter
NFL Picks Grand Champ!
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
i am all in on selecting older players ... if this draft is supposed to represent the all time greats, then you have to... otherwise we'd just look at the last decade and pick the best of the best from then... but thats not the point of the exercise, least for me...
I'm with you. I am assuming any player on these teams would be as dominant now as they were in their time.

BaconGrundleCandy

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reactions
@Guts you in. No worries either way.

i really think we just need to agree on two teams and keeping a thread running after the two nights.

Simple yes or no ladies

Pape

Pro Bowl Player
Reactions
@Guts you in. No worries either way.

i really think we just need to agree on two teams and keeping a thread running after the two nights.

Simple yes or no ladies
so 14 picks per round? Team A Team B?

Thats a Yes for me.

Boomer B

In the Starting Line-Up
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reactions
When are we doing this?

Patriots News 3-3, Jackson Released, Salary Cap Grows 
Saturday Morning Notebook 3/2: News and Notes
Patriots Part Ways With CB J.C. Jackson
Friday Afternoon Patriots Notebook 3/1: News and Notes