PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All quiet on Hightower front or Dont'a-do-it FA tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill is usually in the ballpark when it comes to value for a guy. Wouldn't surprise me if the $10m from the Pats was the best offer he got.

Yet some people on here were acting like Hightower had 10 teams lined up ready to easily pay him 15m+ per year
He certainly priced Marty Bennett right, because ultimately he signed for exactly what BB offered him in September. To bad BB knew the market better than his agents, or he'd still be here, and we'd be better at TE (not that I didn't like the Allen deal at the time)

BTW- I think EVERYONE thought the TE market was going to be at LEAST 8-10MM/yr, so I don't blame Marty for trying. I just wish BB had waited a bit longer.

According to Mark Ingram Hightower had a visited planned with the Saints but it was cancelled.

The fact that Hightower was even at the planning visits stages of FA tells me his market is cold

According to Mark Ingram Hightower had a visited planned with the Saints but it was cancelled.

The fact that Hightower was even at the planning visits stages of FA tells me his market is cold

It's all coming together hopefully...

Please re-sign HT, BB is building a special team for 2017.

Resign HT and get ring #6. With Hightower and another pass rusher and LB we are loaded. Still need a RB but they will find someone who is serviceable for cheap. They always do.

Need Hightower news now.

Hightower has done a good job of dragging this on. Is he holding out hope that someone will overpay him? All he has to do is look at the LB market and see what guys like kuechly and wagner are making.

For the Pats? I think they need to move on from Blount, but as for Peterson and Charles, unless it's a 1 year/~$2M deal, I wouldn't want either.

They should grab a RB or two in the draft.

I think we should stick with Blount. He's a serviceable RB with big play ability and ball control. Save the draft for the defensive needs. With all the offensive weapons they have added I think we need to focus on the D.

He certainly priced Marty Bennett right, because ultimately he signed for exactly what BB offered him in September. To bad BB knew the market better than his agents, or he'd still be here, and we'd be better at TE (not that I didn't like the Allen deal at the time)

BTW- I think EVERYONE thought the TE market was going to be at LEAST 8-10MM/yr, so I don't blame Marty for trying. I just wish BB had waited a bit longer.

I think we got a comparable addition with Allen.

HT may be in a bad position (for maxing $s): I suspect that most teams understand his critical role as a signal caller with the Pats and the lack of depth behind him. Therefore, they likely rightly believe Pats will match anything that is at or even slightly above market.

That would drive several teams to say: look I have a limited number of negotiators and time for visits etc, I'll invest my resources elsewhere that is more likely to produce a result. So even if he is a top, or even the top, FA left open on the market; no one may be offering him anything.

I hope he gets paid by pats but without breaking the bank.

I think we should stick with Blount. He's a serviceable RB with big play ability and ball control. Save the draft for the defensive needs. With all the offensive weapons they have added I think we need to focus on the D.
I think RB is a need in the draft whether Blount stays or not.

HT is dragging this out, either he don't wanna come back for whatever reasons or he waiting hoping someone blows him away with an offer.

HT is dragging this out, either he don't wanna come back for whatever reasons or he waiting hoping someone blows him away with an offer.

If he didn't want to come back he would have done them the courtesy of telling the Pats he wasn't re-signing with them, like Long did.

Highly doubt he is thinking some big money offer is gonna come in, if some team was willing to give him big money they likely would have offered it during the legal tampering period.

Maybe he saw what was out there and is now working on a deal with the Pats.

There is no real necessity for him to get this done quickly. This is vacation time for him. The first date where he'd even be missed a little would be the start of the off season conditioning program, which I don't think even starts until april some time.

Granted I can see where he might want to have this all wrapped up before his vacation, and so would the team, but there is nothing on the immediate horizen that compels anything, except a call from Bill asking to make a decision or the team will move on without him, and I can't see that happening because there is not need.

The only teams that I see paying HT a boat load of money would be the Browns, but I doubt they want him, they got bigger voids to fill, another team that could make a run for Hightower could be the 49ers or even the Jaguars...

There is no real necessity for him to get this done quickly. This is vacation time for him. The first date where he'd even be missed a little would be the start of the off season conditioning program, which I don't think even starts until april some time.

Granted I can see where he might want to have this all wrapped up before his vacation, and so would the team, but there is nothing on the immediate horizen that compels anything, except a call from Bill asking to make a decision or the team will move on without him, and I can't see that happening because there is not need.

Kinda weird FA period this time. Usually, the big prize players try to get their deal done early before money dries out a bit but most teams still have a reasonable amount of room to get deals done. Wonder if it means teams getting a bit smarter about spending their money or it was just a symptom of a lackluster FA market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents