PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All quiet on Hightower front or Dont'a-do-it FA tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think RB is a need in the draft whether Blount stays or not.

Two days ago I thought they would have gone after a RB in a RB heavy draft but as of right now I don't see how they could given they have just spent most of their draft capital on the offense. I don't know. But we'll see.

Kinda weird FA period this time. Usually, the big prize players try to get their deal done early before money dries out a bit but most teams still have a reasonable amount of room to get deals done. Wonder if it means teams getting a bit smarter about spending their money or it was just a symptom of a lackluster FA market.

Good thought. Pats way is certainly getting the attention it deserves.

Id add another factor that is under the radar: Its the beginning of new spending period. So while this year teams had to carry over all their surplus from previous period (that gets them over 89% obligatory spending mark over 4 yrs) creating this big caps - this year they can keep as much money as they want for their long term goals (and better future FA markets)

Good thought. Pats way is certainly getting the attention it deserves.

Id add another factor that is under the radar: Its the beginning of new spending period. So while this year teams had to carry over all their surplus from previous period (that gets them over 89% obligatory spending mark over 4 yrs) creating this big caps - this year they can keep as much money as they want for their long term goals (and better future FA markets)

Good point.

I was hoping for some good news when I woke up.

Kinda weird he hasn't signed with anyone yet.

I think this is good news for the Patriots.. no reports of any visits or offers. So the offer made by BB might be the best available.

Bennett's "value" went down about 25% in two days.. maybe the same is true here.

No news is good news if you ask me. Means his value is not as high as he thought and we can sign him back for a high but reasonable amount. Maybe 11m a year

I think this is good news for the Patriots.. no reports of any visits or offers. So the offer made by BB might be the best available.

Bennett's "value" went down about 25% in two days.. maybe the same is true here.

I wonder if BB made one final offer to Marty before they moved on the Allen or they shut it down altogether.

I smell a Welker situation here

Id expect Hightower decision is made today - the whole LB market seem waiting..
The only market outside RB that is not set.
I bet teams and other agents are pushing for this to resolve a.s.a.p

Maybe the Pats have pissed in too many AFC Teams' Cheerios and someone has decided the best way to slow down the march to #6 is to come in late and try to sign Hightower?

If so and with the money to spend I hope we still match since our draft capital and the Free Agency Market for LB's is depleted.

I wonder how much time the Patriots give Hightower to make up his mind?
Bennett was written off when viable free agent TEs started signing.

I don't think we are done by a long shot. @Miguel posted that, minus Micheal Williams, who can't be much, the Pats have just over $36MM. So if you figure the Pats want to go into the season with about a $10MM comfort zone, that leaves about $25MM left to spend.

I remember when $20MM to START FA was a lot of money. :eek: At any rate, as we enter the next level of FA, we still have plenty of money to sign Hightower, and a few 2nd tier players as well. We are going to need all of that money if we don't get back some of our high end draft picks, since FA will BE our draft.

Even if they give High the 12MM he wants (and I doubt it), when the contract is structured often the first year is significantly lower than the AV/yr, so it's reasonable to expect that High's cap number is likely to end up being in the $8-10MM area, maybe even lower.

So IF he's back our needs are still going to be finding edge rushers. Who is still out there that fits the description? Also I'm wondering if Nick Mangold might be willing to try for a ring for "just" 3-4MM or so?????

Last edited:
I wonder if BB made one final offer to Marty before they moved on the Allen or they shut it down altogether.

I smell a Welker situation here
I'm begining to wonder if they were ready to move on immediately after the season, and didn't seriously look to bring him back. That Allen deal happened very quickly. It brought us a younger, slightly less athletic and smaller target, who blocks well, for.

But when you come down to it, if Gronk is healthy, then our 2nd TE isn't needed for more than say 500 yds of offense, and being a good red zone target. Allen fits that bill. Bill probably already knew he was going after Cooks (to my dismay, btw)and knew he didn't need a high production 2nd TE. Just one good enough to be a legitimate threat if Gronk goes down. Allen fits that bill. I'm thinking with Cooks in the line up we are going to be in 3 WR formations more than last year anyway.

I don't think we are done by a long shot. @Miguel posted that, minus Micheal Williams, who can't be much, the Pats have just over $31MM. So if you figure the Pats want to go into the season with about a $10MM comfort zone, that leaves about $20MM left to spend.

I remember when $20MM to START FA was a lot of money. :eek: At any rate, as we enter the next level of FA, we still have plenty of money to sign Hightower, and a few 2nd tier players as well. We are going to need all of that money if we don't get back some of our high end draft picks, since FA will BE our draft.

Even if they give High the 12MM he wants (and I doubt it), when the contract is structured often the first year is significantly lower than the AV/yr, so it's reasonable to expect that High's cap number is likely to end up being in the $8-10MM area, maybe even lower.

So IF he's back our needs are still going to be finding edge rushers. Who is still out there that fits the description? Also I'm wondering if Nick Mangold might be willing to try for a ring for "just" 3-4MM or so?????

They've got a lot of guys coming up in a couple of years. I bet they roll a bunch of money forward (unless some real value can be found).

Jimmy G, if not traded.
Butler could be extended/franchised.
Cooks could be extended.

Those are the obvious BIG ones, but there are lots of secondary pieces they might want to keep around, like the entire interior OL, Ealy if he fits, etc.

They had almost no dead money this year and a lot of space, and look what they did. Brought in a ton of value for only one market contract (Gilmore) AND landed a few comp picks in the process, since no comps for Allen, Ealy, or Cooks.

BB with money and flexibility is a stone-cold assassin.

If Hightower doesn't sign who do the Pats go after in either FA or trade?

So whats better? HT for 5 years and 1st for Butler, Butler 5 years and HT gone , or HT 5 years Butler for the 2 we can still have him ?
Assuming we cant sign both for 5

If Hightower doesn't sign who do the Pats go after in either FA or trade?

Well fortunately Hightower seems to be holding up the rest of the Linebacker market. I guess my answer would be Zach Brown although he's more of a Jerod Mayo replacement than Hightower. He flashed against us this year in Buffalo, and we all know how Belichick takes that into account (the Cooks trade the most recent example).

So whats better? HT for 5 years and 1st for Butler, Butler 5 years and HT gone , or HT 5 years Butler for the 2 we can still have him ?
Assuming we cant sign both for 5

With the cap space we have, we can easily (and IMO should) sign both. Butler is under control possibly for the next 3 years if we want to. Hightower is UFA, though.

The more time passes, the more I am convinced HT is coming back. As for Butler, the Patriots are holding all the cards. If BB wants him on the team in 2017, he will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents