All 22 coaches film from NFL.COM - reviewed 2011

Dragda

Yes, it's really me...
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
After seeing the thread that discussed the coaches film being available on NFL.COM for a fee, I signed up. Let me start by dicussing the service.

I ordered the complete package for all teams which costs $69.99 right now. I don't know how quickly they will make the games available once they are in the books. If anyone knows the answer, I am very curious. I want to see if I can forego the NFL Sunday ticket this year as I travel every other Sunday and will miss the game. Slingbox to hotel room wireless isn't that attractive for Sunday Ticket.

The application has a viewer tool which allows you to select games from as far back as the 2009 season (as if I want to relive any of that). They have the compressed format which goes from play to play so you can watch a game in about 30-45 minutes. It also has the regular format which cuts out commercial breaks. The coaches film shows the scoreboard then gives the view from the sideline of all the players on the field then is immediately followed by the end zone view from behind the defense. There are controls that allow a quick ten second replay which I found very handy. Other viewer controls were handy as well.

I didn't look at our offense at all. The viewer has the plays listed to the right of the screen. I just selected every eight yard or longer completion and mixed in a few incompletions for contrast. I had a little trouble identifying players on that format--particularly from our opponents. Some are unmistakeable while others were forgotten or I couldn't make out the jersey number.

I reviewed the entire 2011 season to see if I could figure anything out about our defensive backfield. Bottom line: We played a lot of zone and teams exploited it. I saw a few bad angles here and there and a couple of tackling issues and other techinique-related issues I was able to see, but I was not able to diagnose why safeties always seemed to be out of position to make a play. I think opposing offenses were able to attack that at will. I'd see Chung and Ihedigbo too near the line of scrimmage and not cover anyone. I am not sure what their assignment was but I saw it more than once and in many games as the season progressed. I don't think they just decided to take plays off. I think they were executing their assignments which seemed to my novice eye to be: "cover a section of the field least likely to be occupied by a receiver during third down and remain as motionless as possible until it is too late to make a play, then get to the play late if at all" Hopefully they removed that defensive call from their play sheets and replaced it with: "defend a pass on third down"

For those who didn't think that having access to the all-22 film would benefit us, I think you are on to something. I really didn't learn much that I didn't already know (or thought I knew).

One big bright spot in 2011 was the play of the DL was really strong. We didn't do a lot of exotic things but the players got after it and played hard. Our LBs were a mixed bag and sometimes a liability in coverage, but that is a pretty common mismatch. Whenever we forced an incompletion, it mostly seemed to be because our pass rush got there. I saw very few back-end heroics, but there were some good plays here and there and some good coverage when they picked up a receiver.

I didn't take notes or try very hard to figure it all out, but just wanted to get a feel for the DBs which I failed to diagnose. It's likely not just one thing or one player. I couldn't tell if there was a break down.

Yeah, until they start marketing it with play calls and play books...

I heard it won't be out until Wednesday's. Not sure if that is for all games or if that is for Sunday games. Either way a long wait as replacement viewing. And by the time most fans get through it we'll be on to the next opponent as BB is fond of saying.

Yeah, until they start marketing it with play calls and play books...

I heard it won't be out until Wednesday's. Not sure if that is for all games or if that is for Sunday games. Either way a long wait as replacement viewing. And by the time most fans get through it we'll be on to the next opponent as BB is fond of saying.

Agreed. I was really trying to find an excuse to get this, but so far I haven't been able to convince myself to pull the trigger on it.

Wow, I feel like such an idiot!

So, the games from 2009-2011 are actually all-22 coaches film? I thought it was just TV broadcasts. Ugh. I thought they were saving the All-22 stuff for just 2012.

So, wow. Three seasons (going on 4) of all-22? Do I have that right?

how would you rate your knowledge of formations and plays on a scale of 1-10? Do you think it's the kind of thing where if you knew a ton about personnel groupings and how they line up you could have more insight into assignments and where plays/coverage breaks down? I ask this as someone who has a pretty underwhelming knowledge of Xs and Os but was hoping maybe to learn along with the all 22 film this year.

Wow, I feel like such an idiot!

So, the games from 2009-2011 are actually all-22 coaches film? I thought it was just TV broadcasts. Ugh. I thought they were saving the All-22 stuff for just 2012.

So, wow. Three seasons (going on 4) of all-22? Do I have that right?

I didn't look back to those painful 2010 and 2009 seasons, but just logged on to check. The coaches film is not available for those seasons. But it available for every 2011 game.

I didn't look back to those painful 2010 and 2009 seasons, but just logged on to check. The coaches film is not available for those seasons. But it available for every 2011 game.

Oh, well. That's still not too bad....

For every team though? Every game in 2011?

Last edited:
You guys really aren't going to learn too much just by watching the tape, without any understanding of x's and o's.

You'll really have to go out of your way to look up passing/defensive concepts and then try to match it up with the tape.

Smart Football is a good site to check out.

how would you rate your knowledge of formations and plays on a scale of 1-10? Do you think it's the kind of thing where if you knew a ton about personnel groupings and how they line up you could have more insight into assignments and where plays/coverage breaks down? I ask this as someone who has a pretty underwhelming knowledge of Xs and Os but was hoping maybe to learn along with the all 22 film this year.

I am pretty good at recognizing DL fronts and offense, but I am crappy at the secondary other than recognizing if it is zone or man.

As far as ranking myself, I am a firm 9 as far as fans go, but a 1 when it comes to professional level assessment. I couldn't tell where the break down was on the third and long plays that were converted last year except that it seems that offenses were able to exploit the defensive formations. There were often multiple open receivers in these plays. It's like the play call was "guess incorrectly"

Oh, well. That's still not too bad....

For every team though? Every game in 2011?

yes, every single game in 2011* and in great quality if you have the bandwidth to support the variable bandwidth selections.

*including the playoffs up to the SuperBowl

Last edited:
Agreed. I was really trying to find an excuse to get this, but so far I haven't been able to convince myself to pull the trigger on it.

I feel like I already got my $70 out of it and the season hasn't started yet.

Great OP, thanks for the report!

I think they were executing their assignments which seemed to my novice eye to be: "cover a section of the field least likely to be occupied by a receiver during third down and remain as motionless as possible until it is too late to make a play, then get to the play late if at all" Hopefully they removed that defensive call from their play sheets and replaced it with: "defend a pass on third down"

:rolleyes:

It was so infuriating when they called that. But I think you got it wrong. I think the play is: 'If it is 3rd and N, hang back N+5 yards, let the guy catch it for a gain of N, run 2 yards, and then tackle him.!'

I just never could figure it out maybe someone else here will explain that knows more than me.

Also, could you possibly post a screenshot or two, that would be very cool.

Last edited:
Great OP, thanks for the report!

:rolleyes:

It was so infuriating when they called that. But I think you got it wrong. I think the play is: 'If it is 3rd and N, hang back N+5 yards, let the guy catch it for a gain of N, run 2 yards, and then tackle him.!'

I just never could figure it out maybe someone else here will explain that knows more than me.

Also, could you possibly post a screenshot or two, that would be very cool.

Sorry, posting images is a pain. I have to upload them somewhere else first. That's too 1990s for me.

The regular footage (of Sunday games) will be available on Mondays, but the all-22 won't be available until Wednesdays, as I understand it.

I heard that the online version comes with a telestrator option that allows you to freehand draw and then save, which can then be uploaded to message boards. Is that true? If so, that's unbelievably awesome. Thousands of wannabe John Maddens. :D

I heard that the online version comes with a telestrator option that allows you to freehand draw and then save, which can then be uploaded to message boards. Is that true? If so, that's unbelievably awesome. Thousands of wannabe John Maddens. :D

Yeah, but can you download the video itself?

Cause I'm going to want to post a play or two on You Tube

Last edited:

yes, they have the telestrator for the iPad and Android tablets which I haven't used yet. I'm not that interested in that, but I can see the appeal I suppose

I don't know how relevant this is, but on Preseasonlive, non-blacked-out completed games are up there in less than an hour.

Yeah, but can you download the video itself?

Cause I'm going to want to post a play or two on You Tube

I had a subscription last year. It does not appear that you can actually download the footage.

Bump....

Doesn't All-22 come out on Wednesdays? Anyone check it out yet?

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back