PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ALDS: Red Sox vs Angels [5 game series]

Its not over yet and i doubt this team will get overconfident.The funny thing is that we are doing this without Pedroia hitting.Dustin still hasn't gotten on base as much.
hes been hitting the ball hard. its not like hes in a slump or anything. he will break out. he just missed a HR last night. and he smoked a one hopper to second with the bases juiced. I'm with you its not over. I'm still very concerned about Beckett. i dont want him missing anymore games should we advance.

A couple of questions for Foley, our baseball expert around here.

Why did Terry lead with Okie in the 6th, isn't he the 8th inning guy?
Why did Terry go with him for 2 (tried to anyway), Masterson for 2 (tried to anyway) and pap for two? Aren't they all basically one inning guys?
Is Manny Delcarmen in the dog house as I thought he'd be the first guy out of the pen last night.
He was just playing match ups. Figgins, Anderson, Teixeira and Guerrero all are better against RHP, so bringing in the best lefty they had to face them their made the most sense. Whereas Hunter is better against LHP, so I'd think the goal was to have him and Masterson face off. In a perfect world, I'm sure Francona wanted Okajima to get 5 outs, Masterson to get 4, and have Papelbon pitch the 9th.

And considering it's the playoffs where you have an off day nearly every other day, having the relievers get more than 3 outs isn't really an issue. They've all done it before, and the can certainly do it now when they're getting so many off days.

Considering the second half he had, and the even better September, I'd like to know where Delcarmen is too. After 2 pretty shaky outings he should move ahead of Masterson on the bullpen depth chart.

Its gonna suck hearing Joe Buck and Tim McCarver do the ALCS.I just dont like them and they seem anti-red sox.

the whole country will be pulling for Tampa should they advance...it is going to be aweful

I, for one, am amazed at how we are whipping the Angels who beat us 8 games out of 9 during the regular season. We are definitely in WS form. Wow!

"He was just playing match ups. Figgins, Anderson, Teixeira and Guerrero all are better against RHP, so bringing in the best lefty they had to face them their made the most sense. Whereas Hunter is better against LHP, so I'd think the goal was to have him and Masterson face off. In a perfect world, I'm sure Francona wanted Okajima to get 5 outs, Masterson to get 4, and have Papelbon pitch the 9th.

And considering it's the playoffs where you have an off day nearly every other day, having the relievers get more than 3 outs isn't really an issue. They've all done it before, and the can certainly do it now when they're getting so many off days.

Considering the second half he had, and the even better September, I'd like to know where Delcarmen is too. After 2 pretty shaky outings he should move ahead of Masterson on the bullpen depth chart."

Thanks for the explanation, it makes perfect sense now. I guess had the Sox not taken the lead in the 9th, Manny would have gone perhaps the 10th and 11th, not sure if the game had gone beyond that what options were left.

Thanks for all the baseball information you provide around here as well...............

"the whole country will be pulling for Tampa should they advance...it is going to be aweful"

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but I can't see Tampa and the Sox not advancing.

That said, as huge of a Red Sox fan that I am, I really think it's Tampa's year, they've not folded down the stretch even with the injuries and they look like a bunch of playoff veterans so far vs the White Sox. They have the advantage of playing in that rinky dink park too.

I'll be pulling for the Sox like I always do, but the Rays remind me of the two Twins teams that won the World Series in the past, they have major mojo going.

AND, those effin cowbells have to go.

I, for one, am amazed at how we are whipping the Angels who beat us 8 games out of 9 during the regular season. We are definitely in WS form. Wow!
regular season doesnt mean sh!t. i guess you dont watch baseball much. the mariners won 115 games one year and were bounced in the first round not to long ago. this series isnt over. dont count your chickens either way.

"the whole country will be pulling for Tampa should they advance...it is going to be aweful"

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but I can't see Tampa and the Sox not advancing.

That said, as huge of a Red Sox fan that I am, I really think it's Tampa's year, they've not folded down the stretch even with the injuries and they look like a bunch of playoff veterans so far vs the White Sox. They have the advantage of playing in that rinky dink park too.

I'll be pulling for the Sox like I always do, but the Rays remind me of the two Twins teams that won the World Series in the past, they have major mojo going.

AND, those effin cowbells have to go.

That will be a tough series, but the Sox are peaking at the right time. Kazmir has had troubles the last few times out whereas, Lester has been brilliant. You would have to give Beckett the nod as the #1 pitcher in the playoffs, that would leave Dice K as #3 against Tampa's. Even if Tampa's pitching is close, they are no match for the Sox lineup which is getting hot as Oct. turns cool. Ortiz is starting to look very good, Ellsbury is smoking, Bay is a complete ballplayer who is hitting in the clutch, Drew certainly looked good the other night. The infield..... I wouldn't trade that infield for any other in baseball. I'm not popping the cork yet, but I can sure smell it.

"That will be a tough series, but the Sox are peaking at the right time. Kazmir has had troubles the last few times out whereas, Lester has been brilliant. You would have to give Beckett the nod as the #1 pitcher in the playoffs, that would leave Dice K as #3 against Tampa's. Even if Tampa's pitching is close, they are no match for the Sox lineup which is getting hot as Oct. turns cool. Ortiz is starting to look very good, Ellsbury is smoking, Bay is a complete ballplayer who is hitting in the clutch, Drew certainly looked good the other night. The infield..... I wouldn't trade that infield for any other in baseball. I'm not popping the cork yet, but I can sure smell it."

I like the way you think, keep those postive waves coming and we'll see how things shake out..........

"this series isnt over. dont count your chickens either way."

If the Sox were up 2-0 headed to Anaheim, maybe I'd agree with you, but what have you seen from the Angels that makes you think they have any shot? One, count em, ONE extra base hit all series long, that from their lead off guy.

They play that station to station, National League style of play and it ain't working. They haven't had a big inning the whole series and you honestly think they are going to waltz in here and take two games and force a game five?

These aren't your grandfathers Red Sox (ie, 1946, 1972, 1975, 1978, 1986, 2003), they are a completely different team than those from the past, think positive dude, no negative waves..........

"this series isnt over. dont count your chickens either way."

If the Sox were up 2-0 headed to Anaheim, maybe I'd agree with you, but what have you seen from the Angels that makes you think they have any shot? One, count em, ONE extra base hit all series long, that from their lead off guy.

They play that station to station, National League style of play and it ain't working. They haven't had a big inning the whole series and you honestly think they are going to waltz in here and take two games and force a game five?

These aren't your grandfathers Red Sox (ie, 1946, 1972, 1975, 1978, 1986, 2003), they are a completely different team than those from the past, think positive dude, no negative waves..........
i never said the angels were going to do anything and I'm not being negative. i dont get all hyped up until they win the series. i just said dont count your chickens. its baseball. anything can happen and often does. Ive seen nothing from the angels but that doesnt matter. the only thing that matters is pitching. i could make a list a mile long of pitching match ups where many would say there is no way Roy holiday will lose to this guy[pick a name]and what happens he and his team lose the game. the sox were down 2 games to none in 99 and 03 and you know about 04. the sox got pounded 19 to 8 in game three. i dont think anybody could see much from the sox then either. i know nobody thought they would win 4 in a row. the angels have had one extra base hit . all that says to me is they may be due. but it doesnt matter anyway. nothing carries over from one game to the next in baseball . nothing. and remember Beckett is a ? mark. we dont know what we will get on Sunday. I'm hopeful its his best and hes healthy. also last years Superbowl comes to mind. did anybody here think they would lose that game. anytime somebody tells me something is a lock i question it. the sox should win this series and i think they will. but I'm not going to bet next weeks check on it. i think over confidence and a lack of respect for ones opponent brings bad karma from players and fans. i guarantee you the redsox take nothing for granted. nobody should.

Last edited:
"the sox were down 2 games to none in 99 and 03 and you know about 04." True, but they came home, won two in a row and forced a game 5 in 99 and 03, the Angels have to do it on the road. Same in 86 and 07 vs the Angels and the Indians; down 3-2 coming home and we won both games twice at home to close out the series.

"the sox got pounded 19 to 8 in game three. i dont think anybody could see much from the sox then either. i know nobody thought they would win 4 in a row." You got me there, they looked like toast after game three.

"and remember Beckett is a ? mark. we dont know what we will get on Sunday. I'm hopeful its his best and hes healthy." Another good point.

"also last years Superbowl comes to mind. did anybody here think they would lose that game." You had to bring that up? Lol, another good point, the biggest choke I've ever seen, and that includes the Yankee clunker in 2004 (should have been back to back clunkers as we all know in 2003 too)

"anytime somebody tells me something is a lock i question it. the sox should win this series and i think they will. but I'm not going to bet next weeks check on it. i think over confidence and a lack of respect for ones opponent brings bad karma from players and fans. i guarantee you the redsox take nothing for granted. nobody should." It may not be a lock, but it's in the bank gaining interest...................

"the sox were down 2 games to none in 99 and 03 and you know about 04." True, but they came home, won two in a row and forced a game 5 in 99 and 03, the Angels have to do it on the road. Same in 86 and 07 vs the Angels and the Indians; down 3-2 coming home and we won both games twice at home to close out the series.

"the sox got pounded 19 to 8 in game three. i dont think anybody could see much from the sox then either. i know nobody thought they would win 4 in a row." You got me there, they looked like toast after game three.

"and remember Beckett is a ? mark. we dont know what we will get on Sunday. I'm hopeful its his best and hes healthy." Another good point.

"also last years Superbowl comes to mind. did anybody here think they would lose that game." You had to bring that up? Lol, another good point, the biggest choke I've ever seen, and that includes the Yankee clunker in 2004 (should have been back to back clunkers as we all know in 2003 too)

"anytime somebody tells me something is a lock i question it. the sox should win this series and i think they will. but I'm not going to bet next weeks check on it. i think over confidence and a lack of respect for ones opponent brings bad karma from players and fans. i guarantee you the redsox take nothing for granted. nobody should." It may not be a lock, but it's in the bank gaining interest...................
sorry about bringing up the superbowl. the thought of that game makes me puke.

"the thought of that game makes me puke."

Which is what Cubs fans are doing at the moment; yet another gag job in the playoffs, 100 years and counting, man are they cursed.

hey guys little bit late here but wow that jd drew homerun gave me shivers. all the momentum that LAA had just taken away with one swing of the bat and off the best closer in baseball.. that was a moment i wont soon forget..

as many knocks as Drew gets for injuries and inconsistency and what not the guy can be pretty clutch. I think back mainly to his ALCS grand slam last year and now this... in two post seasons with the Sox hes been no slouch.. He compliments this team well.. Not bad when JD DREW is your 6th even 7th hitter in the lineup. thats a luxury that i dont think many teams have.

this teams got great depth and great clutch hitting. You cant underestimate the value of postseason success. if you look back to an earlier post of mine i said that could be a huge determining factor and right now it appears to be the edge.

these two games have been two of the more exciting in recent memory the feelings after those homeruns by drew and bay were pretty incredible

cheers

This is a nailbiter. Good thing that Papelbon is tough as nails. Let's finish this off Red Sox!

Sheesh! We got the bases loaded but couldn't drive anyone in...

dustin cant catch a break :mad: every ball he hits is right at somebody

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back