PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After 12 games with Mac: which QBs would you take right now over him?

Yes, he absolutely does. Lawerence has the potential to be a top 5-10 QB of all time. He may never come close to reaching that potential, but that is his potential. Jones doesn't doesn't have that potential.

Potential only means anything if it is reached though.
I'm glad you can see the future, you must have known Brady was going to be the GOAT by game 12 in 2001

I get it but we yet to see Mac in the playoffs as well. He could fold or maybe separate hinself from the rest of the young QBs with clutch play. We shall see but I'd rather have Herbert, Allen, and Burrow in this Patriots team as of this very moment. If Mac delivers in the playoffs then that's a whole different story at that point maybe the only QB you'd take over him would be Mahomes and that's it
One of the rarely mentioned advantages of drafting Mac was that he won a national championship at Alabama. He has faced playoff pressure and has dealt with a rabid fan base that is at least as entitled as New England's. I see nothing to indicate that he will follow Lamar Jackson's path to playoff failure.

And yet, Lawrence was the universal #1 pick and is considered a potential generational talent in the way of a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. If Jones was considered the better talent coming out of college, why was he selected 14 spots after Lawrence. Let's not be those fans.
Coming out of college, Brady was not considered a potential generational talent.

Yes, he absolutely does. Lawerence has the potential to be a top 5-10 QB of all time. He may never come close to reaching that potential, but that is his potential. Jones doesn't doesn't have that potential.

Potential only means anything if it is reached though.
THis is stupid on just way too many levels. How in the hell do you know what potential he has? Stop man, you are parroting what the talking heads said at draft day. Brady is/was the best quarter back ever. Mac is playing better than he did his rookie year. If college scouts had been asked what Brady's potential upside was after his rookie season, what do you think they would have said. Mac had the best college qb season ever. Mac is far and away the best rookie qb from this year's draft. This doesn't mean he will be the greatest qb from this draft or even a great qb, but saying that somehow Lawrence will be better is just plain silly.

One of the rarely mentioned advantages of drafting Mac was that he won a national championship at Alabama. He has faced playoff pressure and has dealt with a rabid fan base that is at least as entitled as New England's. I see nothing to indicate that he will follow Lamar Jackson's path to playoff failure.
The pressure of the crowd and lights won't be a big deal for him I agree, but how will he respond when your game plan on offense isn't working or he is down two scores late in a game vs the playoff teams? I believe he can do it, but let's wait and see.

He sure is playing like Brady his first year as a starter

But it was a different time. Just because he is playing better than Brady in his first year as a starter doesn't mean he will remotely become Brady circa 2007 and beyond.

Coming out of college, Brady was not considered a potential generational talent.

But Brady is a generational talent. I never said coming out of college. If he was, he wouldn't go in the fifth round.

THis is stupid on just way too many levels. How in the hell do you know what potential he has? Stop man, you are parroting what the talking heads said at draft day. Brady is/was the best quarter back ever. Mac is playing better than he did his rookie year. If college scouts had been asked what Brady's potential upside was after his rookie season, what do you think they would have said. Mac had the best college qb season ever. Mac is far and away the best rookie qb from this year's draft. This doesn't mean he will be the greatest qb from this draft or even a great qb, but saying that somehow Lawrence will be better is just plain silly.

Brady defied the odds and there hasn't been another QB remotely like Brady in the 20 plus years he has played.

I am not bagging on Jones, but to think at this point in their careers that Jones is going to be the better QB for the next 10-20 years than Lawrence is silly. Lawrence is the most talented QB to come out of college since at least Luck, possibly Manning.

Mac has been playing at an elite level since the saints game. 4th in the league in passer rating during the last 9 weeks. 1st in the league during the last 4 weeks

Stop it. He has been playing well. But he hasn't been playing at an elite level. The Pats have yet to rely on his arm to win a single game. He has been mostly a game manager. How can you play at an elite level when you are asked to play efficiently while the team will win on defense and with the running game? He isn't being asked to carry the offense or the team, but you are not elite until you do.

Stop it. He has been playing well. But he hasn't been playing at an elite level. The Pats have yet to rely on his arm to win a single game. He has been mostly a game manager. How can you play at an elite level when you are asked to play efficiently while the team will win on defense and with the running game? He isn't being asked to carry the offense or the team, but you are not elite until you do.
You keep doing this, it is kind of silly at this point. You are bagging on him, you are constantly saying he isn't that good, and he won't be that good. Are you unable to read what you are writing? He carried the offense last game, 300 yards 2 td's no interceptions, against the top team in the afc, what is that if not carrying the team?

You keep doing this, it is kind of silly at this point. You are bagging on him, you are constantly saying he isn't that good, and he won't be that good. Are you unable to read what you are writing? He carried the offense last game, 300 yards 2 td's no interceptions, against the top team in the afc, what is that if not carrying the team?
He was better than Lawrence in pre college camps, he was better than Lawrence in College, and he has so far been better than Lawrence in the NFL. At what point does his ceiling start to rise in your eyes?

But it was a different time. Just because he is playing better than Brady in his first year as a starter doesn't mean he will remotely become Brady circa 2007 and beyond.
I’ll take him becoming Brady 2001-2004, please. :)

I agree, I don’t think anyone considers him an elite quarterback yet. However, he is playing at an elite level right now based off of all quantifiable metrics. If he continues even at the same level of play through to the end of the season (including playoffs) he will be considered elite (top 10) by the end of the season. Fourth quarter comebacks and game winning drives are circumstantial. Those opportunities do not come all the time. Brady has averaged 2 a season (43 total). Mac already has one under his belt (against the Texans). Im sure he’ll get more opportunities by the end of the season. Cant wait to see how he does.

Last edited:
I agree, I don’t think anyone considers him an elite quarterback yet. However, he is playing at an elite level right now based off of all quantifiable metrics. If he continues even at the same level of play through to the end of the season (including playoffs) he will be considered elite (top 10) by the end of the season. Fourth quarter comebacks and game winning drives are circumstantial. Those opportunities do not come all the time. Brady has averaged 2 a season (43 total). Hopefully Mac meets that test when it comes.
First, using the top 10 as "elite" is a hell of a stretch. Second, he's 14th in passer rating, 10th in passing yards, 13th in passing TDs, 12th in yards per pass attempt, and 26th in yards per pass completion. He's top 3 in completion percentage, but his numbers are absolutely not "elite level right now based off of all quantifiable metrics". His numbers are above average, not elite.

And that's fine. He doesn't need to be elite right now, and nobody should expect him to be so in his rookie season. But let's slow the hyperbole train with this kid.

First, using the top 10 as "elite" is a hell of a stretch. Second, he's 14th in passer rating, 10th in passing yards, 13th in passing TDs, 12th in yards per pass attempt, and 26th in yards per pass completion. He's top 3 in completion percentage, but his numbers are absolutely not "elite level right now based off of all quantifiable metrics". His numbers are above average, not elite.

And that's fine. He doesn't need to be, and nobody should expect him to be right now. But let's slow the roll with this kid.
Not the entire season, but hes been playing at an elite level for over two months now (since the saints game).

4th in passer rating, 3rd in yards per attempt, 3rd in completion percentage

And that's fine. He doesn't need to be elite right now, and nobody should expect him to be so in his rookie season. But let's slow the hyperbole train with this kid.
Also, I think with the level of qb play we’re seeing in the league right now, top 10 for elite sounds about right. I consider all the following qbs elite right now:

Mahomes
Brady
Lamar
Dak
Rodgers
Murray
Allen
Wilson
Watson

The following qbs are on the cusp of being considered elite:
Herbert
Burrow

I think Mac can easily be considered among the second group if he continues his level of play through to the end of the season.

He was better than Lawrence in pre college camps, he was better than Lawrence in College, and he has so far been better than Lawrence in the NFL. At what point does his ceiling start to rise in your eyes?
No one loves Mac more than me, but this is an overstatement. Lawrence won a National Championship as a freshman, when Mac was still not even a backup. As a soph, Lawrence and Clemson played in the National Championship game against a on-a-roll LSU team led by a red hot Joe Burrow and lost. That year Mac (at the time lightly regarded) was surprising people by his solid performance when starter Tua was lost for the year due to injury. In 2020, to the surprise of many Mac beat out top rated recruit Bryce Young and had a historic season and won the National Championship. So: Mac had a better 2020 season than Lawrence, but Lawrence won a National Championship as a freshman and played in another as a soph.

….I’m still glad we have Mac, and he has clearly been the best rookie QB this year. But saying Mac was better in college than Lawrence is an overstatement IMHO.

Last edited:
No one's saying he will be. I'm simply pointing out, ill take the guy whose already playing like the GOAT his first year in the system

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back