PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AFC Championship: We are on to Kansas City!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The game got away from Colts early, they let mistakes compound and never got any traction in the game. A couple run stuffs by the Chiefs defense, a few false starts, and a dropped pass by Ebron was a enough to essentially put a dagger in them.

If Pats avoid that type of a start, they will most certainly find a groove in the running game. The Chiefs defense will be neutralized and will not know what to expect. All avenues of Patriots offense should open up very quickly.

Much has been made about this being a road game. I am not buying the inflated significance in this particular game. Healthy and humming Oline with a solid rushing attack, hammer fullback, multiple short passing strategies. I also have serious doubts as to how great this Chief pass rush is. They led the league in sacks, but teams were playing from behind. I think the Chiefs defense ultimately looks mediocre vs this multi dimensional, hungry, vertern, cohesive, experienced, well-coached team.

If there is one thing I hang my hat on with this team is that they have the force of will to not get railroaded and pushed off their task in a big game. The Colts wilted, I expect the Patriots to rise to the occasion and be as sharp as ever. I throw the 3-5 record out. Would we lose @Deteoit Jacksonville or Miami tomorrow? It's just not comparable, the fire in the stomach is there now. Laser Focus.

It’s hard in this league to be that focused, sharp & mistake-free 2 weeks in a row; especially on the road. We played nearly as about as perfect as you can play for 3 quarters last week vs the Clippers. With that being said; if there’s one team that’s capable it’s NE.

We are almost 24 hours from game time. I don't know if there is anything left to say or any more stats to go over. In the end here is why I think the Patriots win.

Pats OL pass protection vs KC pass rush - KC's D is built around the pass rush. They have one of the best units in the NFL. Their D lives or dies by it. The rest of the D is too bad to hold up even with Berry (and let's be real. Berry won't be 100%). The Pats have one of the best OLs in the NFL. They have been together most of the year, the starters are all healthy and they are ready to role. Add in a Brady who has options to get rid of the ball quickly and it is hard to imagine the KC DL taking over this game. They played KC (without Houston), LAC, MIN and Steelers. the OL played well to very well in each contest. Outside of the early season and the Titans game this OL has held up great. I don't see why that would change now.

The above to me is one of the key match ups in the game. If the OL holds up in pass protection the offense will role no matter what the rest of KC's D tries to do. It will make it impossible for them to try to stop our run game if they can't get to Brady. We'll drop 30+ on them. I could talk about the other offensive match ups. How White should eat the LB's lunch and how they have no one to cover Edelman. But if the OL holds it doesn't matter how they try to match up on D.

I feel confident in this match up as long as the Pats OL comes out ready to play.

The other side of the ball is about slowing down key guys. Kelce is obvious. He should be chipped on every play no matter what. Don't ever let him have a free release. They did this a good amount last game to great effect but more is better. Unlike Hill you risk nothing by chipping him. We took Watkins out of the game last time and should be able to do so again. Hill is an issue but we just need to get some pressure and play it smart. Nothing else to be done about it. Just play as well as you can. There really isn't a way to consistently deal with him if he plays his usual game and Mahomes has time. We just need to take our lumps there and not let him beat us deep for a big TD (or make that the limit to his production just about).

Here is an idea though. I know the Pats like to move Trey Flowers around a lot but I'm thinking of sticking him to the left side of the DL all game. That should keep Mahomes from wanting to roll out that way. Just an idea.

Last edited:
The game got away from Colts early, they let mistakes compound and never got any traction in the game. A couple run stuffs by the Chiefs defense, a few false starts, and a dropped pass by Ebron was a enough to essentially put a dagger in them.

If Pats avoid that type of a start,

Unlike IND and other KC quickstart games . this one will never be over until it is over.
We'll see how they are prepared for that..

I'm not too nervous.
Defense will play a lot of cover 3 while jamming Kelce and Hill at the line.
The defense will be punching them in the mouth seeing if they are willing to punch back.
On offense a lot of play action - running the ball with lots of short passing - chewing clock.

This game will be more mental than anything I feel. Mahomes can crumble under the pressure and the mystique or he can brush it aside and make it a game against us. If we control that KC pass-rush I can see us having a good night.

I think experience at QB position may factor into the game tomorrow.

I wonder how aggressive BB will be. Let's say the Pats get the ball to start. They get to the KC 40 yard line. 4th & 2. Do you kick a fg (A fg that'll be tough to make due to the weather), punt it and pin them deep, or go for it? Another scenario: 4th & goal at the 3 yard line. Chiefs lead 10-3. Take the sure points (fg), or go for the TD? At some point, both teams will be faced with this type of decision.

Absolutely cannot afford any interceptions. Make the Chiefs earn everything they get. No dumb penalties. Hopefully BB has them practice with the speakers blaring. Another thing: order the kicker to send everything out of the end zone.

When mega homer Matt Chatham is saying that this game is basically a pure tossup maybe some of us here really concerned about the game aren’t a bunch of haters after all.
Lol at calling Chatham a mega homer. Nope, you're a hater. Matt Chatham has always been very objective. Excellent source if you wish to learn about the X&O's of football. Can't say the same about you.

Here is an idea though. I know the Pats like to move Trey Flowers around a lot but I'm thinking of sticking him to the left side of the DL all game. That should keep Mahomes from wanting to roll out that way. Just an idea.

Interesting. I'm going to watch for this or something like this. Maybe switch it up with HT.

Absolutely cannot afford any interceptions. Make the Chiefs earn everything they get. No dumb penalties. Hopefully BB has them practice with the speakers blaring. Another thing: order the kicker to send everything out of the end zone.

Those kickoffs we kept on doing were brutal. Just kick it out of the end zone.

I keep hearing how we need to play perfect. I’d rather the chiefs not play a perfect game. Both teams played well last week and it’s highly likely one will fudge it up next game. Hopefully it’s the chiefs.

Those kickoffs we kept on doing were brutal. Just kick it out of the end zone.

I keep hearing how we need to play perfect. I’d rather the chiefs not play a perfect game. Both teams played well last week and it’s highly likely one will fudge it up next game. Hopefully it’s the chiefs.

Yeah I don't understand what's going on with the kickoffs. Is Gost physically unable to boot it out of the endzone? I don't get it.

There needs to be a balance. Don't be agressive to the point you are making dumb mistakes. Yet don't be scared to take chances.

So, basically the same conditions the Pats beat the Chargers in last week, minus the sunlight. It's going to be a good game and likely a shootout. Just hope the Pats can force a few punts or mistakes, because it will all come down to turnovers and 3rd downs.

Biggest difference between last week & this week is the crowd. I think the defense needs to blitz more too. Yes, it may lead to a few big Chiefs plays. But throw the kitchen sink at them. More disguises. Maybe even steal a possession away. Try an ondide kick if they are in a certain formation etc. Bring in someone from the 01 team to give a speech about being an underdog. How everyone is against you etc.

This game will be more mental than anything I feel. Mahomes can crumble under the pressure and the mystique or he can brush it aside and make it a game against us. If we control that KC pass-rush I can see us having a good night.

I'm not counting on Mahomes cracking. Haven't seen nothing but cool under pressure from him this season even during their losses but I also think the Pats are ready for this game and looked the best I've seen them last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back