PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AFC Championship: We are on to Kansas City!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty good actually. It's one of the things that gives me the most hope about this weekend if you want to know the truth. If you left that game ultra confident about coming to arrowhead because you won, then you are not a student of the game.

Well, yes that and the fact that we just shat all over a team you guys lost to a few weeks ago at home. Yeah, I feel pretty good. If you become giddy about losses, then you are not a student of the game.

It's 43 pages, and I haven't read through it all, but I'm nervous. As I stated pages back, if we win the toss and take the ball, it means the coaches are also nervous. A 3-and-out on one of our first two drives and we are going to be toast.

Plus, just some other observations. Gostkowski is usually good for a missed XP or FG every postseason, and we didn't get one last week. That Philip Dorsett no drops streak, that has to break sometime. Our RB's catching passes: I'm glad Sony Michel had a catch just so KC has to semi respect it, but a couple of dropsies by him like at the beginning of the season will be bad. Can KC stop White and Burkhead? They have tape from last week on how NOT to play defense against us.

None of what I said is definitive. A lot of good happened last week, and I am personally conditioned to expect the bad to balance it out eventually. I will watch, and I hope we go into KC and win. But I by no means expect us to walk into Arrowhead and treat them like LA.

So according to the faithful at Chiefs Planet Nelson did say the Pats' WRs were physical but not fast or athletic.

This guy responded to me and says....

Originally Posted by Superturtle
He'd be the authority since his stupid ass has to grab a fistful of jersey on any receiver who runs relatively fast in the NFL

Curious if you can elaborate on this, because what I saw is a run game that dominated your line, and players who got mixed up in coverage. How do you see it going the next time around?

I think anytime you lose by 3 on the road, it makes you believe you could have won that game at home. I doubt you think Miami beats you at home.
But specifically.
We came to your place without Houston. Without berry. A rookie speaks looked lost in Houston’s place. Mahomes was clearly nervous to start. He threw two costly and uncharacteristic picks. One that led to a touchdown and the other that took at least a field goal off the board. You could see him gain confidence in the second half and we came back from a big deficit. We scored 31 second half points. Scored on 5 of 6 drives.

You had zero penalties and no turnovers and still needed a last second field goal to beat us at home without our best defender. I think if the roles were reversed you would find a lot of positives about the rematch also.

It doesn’t mean we will win, but you can’t feel bad about that loss.

The conventional wisdom has been that the key to beating us by running the ball and keeping us off the field. So far has not been the case. Teams that have beat us have won shootouts. We have lost 4 games and scored at least 40 in two of them and never less than 28. I'm more worried about Brady putting up 40 on us than I am you holding us to 21. I do wish it was going to be 40 degrees and nice. Weather shouldn't decide the outcome of a game this important.

I disagree, weather is what separates champions from winners. I don't know why so many are against bad weather. It's what separates the greats from the rest.

I think anytime you lose by 3 on the road, it makes you believe you could have won that game at home. I doubt you think Miami beats you at home.
But specifically.
We came to your place without Houston. Without berry. A rookie speaks looked lost in Houston’s place. Mahomes was clearly nervous to start. He threw two costly and uncharacteristic picks. One that led to a touchdown and the other that took at least a field goal off the board. You could see him gain confidence in the second half and we came back from a big deficit. We scored 31 second half points. Scored on 5 of 6 drives.

You had zero penalties and no turnovers and still needed a last second field goal to beat us at home without our best defender. I think if the roles were reversed you would find a lot of positives about the rematch also.

It doesn’t mean we will win, but you can’t feel bad about that loss.
I agree in the sense that you didn't get your ass kicked

I'd be surprised if Berry is effective Sunday. Helluva player healthy but seemed like a liability vs LAC

It's 43 pages, and I haven't read through it all, but I'm nervous. As I stated pages back, if we win the toss and take the ball, it means the coaches are also nervous. A 3-and-out on one of our first two drives and we are going to be toast.

Plus, just some other observations. Gostkowski is usually good for a missed XP or FG every postseason, and we didn't get one last week. That Philip Dorsett no drops streak, that has to break sometime. Our RB's catching passes: I'm glad Sony Michel had a catch just so KC has to semi respect it, but a couple of dropsies by him like at the beginning of the season will be bad. Can KC stop White and Burkhead? They have tape from last week on how NOT to play defense against us.

None of what I said is definitive. A lot of good happened last week, and I am personally conditioned to expect the bad to balance it out eventually. I will watch, and I hope we go into KC and win. But I by no means expect us to walk into Arrowhead and treat them like LA.

The Pats started slow in the 2015 AFCGC and I thought it would get out of hand. But the Pats fought and even in a loss, they gave everything they had. I still think it was one of Brady's and Gronks greatest games. Brady took an absolute beating but kept fighting and fighting. And Gronk was just a monster. They might win. They might not. But I really doubt they will down easily.

He's 10th in the league in yards and tied for 6th in receiving TDs. He just set the single season receiving yardage record for a tight end. I don't think you can say he's not elite. And our quarterback just became the 2nd ever 5000/50 quarterback and is probably the MVP. Also elite.
He's a receiver and can't block for ****. No football player designated as tight end can ever be called elite if he can't block. Travis Kelce most certainly can't block. Now you can call him a great receiver, fair enough. But elite tight end? Don't make me throw up.

Last edited:

So to summarize, if everything that can go wrong goes wrong then the Pats lose. Good to know. Some advise, stay out of the GDT.

So according to the faithful at Chiefs Planet Nelson did say the Pats' WRs were physical but not fast or athletic.

This guy responded to me and says....

Originally Posted by Superturtle
He'd be the authority since his stupid ass has to grab a fistful of jersey on any receiver who runs relatively fast in the NFL

Been over there myself with you.

Those guys and gals at ChiefsPlanet are pumped and excited about the game. I wish them luck. We will see how the game pans out.

Fine, he’s not a tight end then. But he’s an elite receiver.
Do you see all the free releases he gets? At least watch the game before making outrageous comments like that.

This game should be fun. Wish it was in Foxboro, but what are you going to do. We have an opportunity to go into Arrowhead and win a game at the home of one of the new kids on the block.

If our D can contain KC offense a bit, i like our chances.

We just need to execute and not make mental mistakes like we have on the road this season.

Glad to see Brady is pumped for the game.

Been over there myself with you.

Those guys and gals at ChiefsPlanet are pumped and excited about the game. I wish them luck. We will see how the game pans out.
I think you and I are the only ones they are tolerating. :p

So to summarize, if everything that can go wrong goes wrong then the Pats lose. Good to know. Some advise, stay out of the GDT.

I haventh posted in a GDT since 2008, so I will be far away. And I hope the things I listed do not go wrong.

I agree in the sense that you didn't get your ass kicked

I'd be surprised if Berry is effective Sunday. Helluva player healthy but seemed like a liability vs LAC

He played the first half only. They scored 7 points. He sat the second half. We gave up 22 and were a completely different defense.

He played the first half only. They scored 7 points. He sat the second half. We gave up 22 and were a completely different defense.
Yea you guys are a better D than what we saw. No question. New personnel in the backfield.

He was our third leading tackler that game playing only a half. He’s a huge upgrade over Parker. Who we cut this week.

We got the GOAT guys. Toms ability to treat the game like a chess match he’s seen it all.

Audibles and high level football IQ with everyone being on the same page.

That little clip from the pats Steelers ACFCG a couple years ago is one of my all time favourite Brady audibles.

Pats in a run heavy I formsation set with FB and RB. Audibles by yelling “JORDAN” to a spread with 10 secs on the play clock. No one panics and they all know their role. I bet Devlin and Blount never even lined up outside once before that during the season.

Steelers go from a run heavy mean looking d front, to instant confusion having to spread out.

Brady throws a 25 yard dime up the seam to Hogan and the rest is history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe