PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adrian Wilson ready for OTA's

Status
Not open for further replies.
That miracle would indicate a substantial upgrade in talent that would make my day.
I do like ST contributor Ebner, but he probably plays safety about like I do.

I don't think it's likely that both of the STers get the axe, but I do think it's at least possible, because both were basically ST only last year (Wilson got a few snaps, but he was clearly sidelined for the most part).

Cut A. Wilson
Sign Ward
Cut Gregory (for, say, not willing to take pay cut and be relegated to S3)
Draft S
Cut T. Wilson or Ebner (replaced by draftee)
Wilson or Ebner beaten out in camp as STer.

Do I think that's a highly likely scenario? No. Could I see BB doing something like that? Yes.

That miracle would indicate a substantial upgrade in talent that would make my day.
I do like ST contributor Ebner, but he probably plays cover safety about like I do.

If Ebner is our S next year..we will have some major issues

I do like ST contributor Ebner, but he probably plays cover safety about like I do.

Don't be so sure... Going into 2013, the TE position was better and deeper than the safeties are this year, and yet we ended up with Mulligan and Hooman as our starters week one. We've also seen years where Meriweather and Sanders were jettisoned without upgrades. Sometimes the Pats purge a perceived position of depth and end up with a significant weakness.

Don't remind me of the Big Bang Clock and James Sanders debacle

I think the most likely outcome will be:

McCourty
Ward/draftee
Harmon
T. Wilson
Ebner

If a player is hurt in camp or otas can they thus demand to be put on ir and thus get their salary? If so yes very risky to have oldsters with high salaries (like wilfork) participate.

Yes, a player hurt in OTAs can file an injury grievance if cut after being hurt.

I am more intrigued about how Armond Armstead is doing I have a good feeling about that guy.

For some reason everyone seemed to want to cut this guy, but not me. I am a big fan.

I want to be a big fan and was psyched when we first signed him. I think cutting him early makes little sense and don't think it'll happen until well into the offseason.

Said this, and in all fairness to his distractors, he didn't show me much during last offseason. Granted, that sampling was like a few quarters from one or two exhibition games, but he really didn't come in with that proverbial bang that Rodney brought since Day 1 of arriving in Foxborough. But I too hope he works out and sticks as even a 3rd safety.

Don't remind me of the Big Bang Clock and James Sanders debacle

I still recall those who ganged up and flamed me for having stated that this guy couldn't play years ago. I don't read anything they write here.

I still recall those who ganged up and flamed me for having stated that this guy couldn't play years ago. I don't read anything they write here.

I would have rather had Sanders than Ihedigbo in 2011.

I want to be a big fan and was psyched when we first signed him. I think cutting him early makes little sense and don't think it'll happen until well into the offseason.

Said this, and in all fairness to his distractors, he didn't show me much during last offseason. Granted, that sampling was like a few quarters from one or two exhibition games, but he really didn't come in with that proverbial bang that Rodney brought since Day 1 of arriving in Foxborough. But I too hope he works out and sticks as even a 3rd safety.

I agree. You'll note that from the very beginning of this thread, I noted that his drop-off (he looked terrible to me in most pre-season action and kept falling down the chart, it seemed) MIGHT be associated with the Achilles.

If he can play, he'll probably get a chance to show it. If he can't play, they'll cut him, rightly so.

I don't think it's likely that both of the STers get the axe, but I do think it's at least possible, because both were basically ST only last year (Wilson got a few snaps, but he was clearly sidelined for the most part).

Cut A. Wilson
Sign Ward
Cut Gregory (for, say, not willing to take pay cut and be relegated to S3)
Draft S
Cut T. Wilson or Ebner (replaced by draftee)
Wilson or Ebner beaten out in camp as STer.

Do I think that's a highly likely scenario? No. Could I see BB doing something like that? Yes.

That'd be a great scenario, of course.

What's McCourty going to command AAV?
What's Ward going to want?

Dashon Goldson got 5/41 (not sure of the guarantees there), but that sounds like a lot of money for a pair of safeties.

...What's McCourty going to command AAV?
What's Ward going to want?

2014 franchise tag value for safety is just about $8m. Where McCourty or Ward will actually end up is something I couldn't tell you.

Dashon Goldson got 5/41 (not sure of the guarantees there), but that sounds like a lot of money for a pair of safeties.

BB seems to be of the opinion that CB and S are becoming more important. We'll know more by how he invests in the positions moving forward.

2014 franchise tag value for safety is just about $8m. Where McCourty or Ward will actually end up is something I couldn't tell you.

BB seems to be of the opinion that CB and S are becoming more important. We'll know more by how he invests in the positions moving forward.

Good point. I'm not really up on Ward, honestly, but I would LOVE to see Byrd back there. Ain't gonna happen, but he might be the best safety in the game right now.

Good point. I'm not really up on Ward, honestly, but I would LOVE to see Byrd back there. Ain't gonna happen, but he might be the best safety in the game right now.

I think Byrd is a better ballhawking playmaker, but Ward is a more physical presence who can lay the wood, and that seems to be something that we've been missing for quite sometime now.

I suppose the whole L/R safety vs SS/FS issue and where Belichick seems to stand on that may come into play as well, since Byrd plays FS as well as McCourty (who obviously doesn't have a "title," but ends up doing more FS assignments). I don't think it'd be that much of an issue myself, but we don't have any idea if Belichick would be okay with the idea that they'd both likely be here longer term. Then again, as Deus points out--maybe Belichick wants 2 similar pass defenders?

I don't think it matters anyway though. I have a hard time seeing that much money tied up in our secondary, especially if we have plans to retain McCourty and/or retain Talib (or a replacement).

It will likely be a year of McCourty on one side and Harmon on the other, in my opinion. Maybe we'll swap out Gregory for some other kind of vet castoff who may come cheaper and/or see what Adrian Wilson still has by training camp.

I agree. You'll note that from the very beginning of this thread, I noted that his drop-off (he looked terrible to me in most pre-season action and kept falling down the chart, it seemed) MIGHT be associated with the Achilles.

If he can play, he'll probably get a chance to show it. If he can't play, they'll cut him, rightly so.

I would agree that (the injury) could be why he looked bad in the preseason, but really, he began falling down the depth chart with Arizona. I can't believe he is going to go from benched and let go from Arizona one season, out the next (entire) season with his new team to worth a roster spot for the 2014 season. Not after an Achilles injury at his age.

I remember watching him in Arizona and he looked just like he did in the preseason for the Pats. Too slow to be realistically positionally sound.

I was excited about the Adrian Wilson signing. With the cap going up and his salary at a low number, I'm hoping we keep him and he makes an impact

I was excited about the Adrian Wilson signing. With the cap going up and his salary at a low number, I'm hoping we keep him and he makes an impact

I wouldn't count on it. He was benched in Arizona because his pass coverage was awful and he looked pretty bad last year in TC. He's over the hill and I would be shocked if he made it on the final 53 man roster. The Pats need to draft a hitter that isn't a liability in coverage. Calvin Pryor is one option that should be available early on. Deone Bucannon may be available in day two and Antone Exum is a big CB/SS hybrid. All are solid in coverage and can lay the lumber.

IF Wilson can give the Patriots one year as a poor-man's Kam Chancellor and contribute to the team hoisting the Lombardi next February I'm all for it. Long-shot at happening due to age and injury significance/history, but who knows...

IF Wilson can give the Patriots one year as a poor-man's Kam Chancellor and contribute to the team hoisting the Lombardi next February I'm all for it. Long-shot at happening due to age and injury significance/history, but who knows...

Like the attempted John Lynch experiment, "Adrian! Adrian!" is old and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST