PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adrian Wilson ready for OTA's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would like to be an optimist about this, but find it hard to believer he will make this team....

Adrian Wilson has not had a good season since 2009 and has now missed a full season and will be 35 if we are waiting on him to be the play maker at Safety its going to be a really long season, I say the guy retires if not he will and should be cut

We don't need him to be a play maker at safety. That's what McCourty is for. We need him to be an enforcer back their.

Cut him and Gregory, with these 3 Millions can we get a useful safety?

I admire Wilson's optimism and attitude, but I'm very skeptical that he will be a contributor for 2014 at any meaningful level. He turns 35 in October, he's coming off an injury that is likely to affect his play, he had become a coverage liability in Arizona and was getting fewer and fewer meaningful snaps even before his Achilles injury, and cutting him saves $1.2M against the cap. The Pats may keep him into TC to evaluate their options, but if they need that money to go after guys who are more likely to contribute (and there aren't that many contracts which can free up cap space) then I think he's a prime candidate for an early cut.

In any case, I'll be surprised if he's in TC in August, and shocked if he's on the roster come September.

Hey, look, the guy's a long shot. No one's doubting that.

But...Wilson working to rejoin Pats | ChatPats.com

"Devin McCourty is leading a group of Pats heading to Arizona to work out with Wilson, so the team continues to have hopes for the veteran."

I think that says a lot about this guy's work ethic and character...and what the coaches and his teammates thought about him last year.

The vet minimum for a guy like Wilson is almost a million a year, by the way, so it's not like he's on some huge contract here.

A year off can do wonders for a guy Wilson's age. There's no one doubting that he stayed in shape - he's a workout freak. And he played with the same attitude I'm hoping the Pats will adopt.

If what we saw in the preseason wasn't because of the Achilles and that's all he's got, they'll cut him. According to the article I linked earlier, they can cut him during roster cut-downs. Maybe Miguel can enlighten us as to the specific savings depending on where he's cut.

For options, I wouldn't mind it if they brought in Whitner, but I doubt it, given his remarks. Whitner's testing the market - I think he's going to want Goldson money. He's not that great in coverage and benefits from having a ferocious pass rush in SF.

I'm not a Bethea fan. He misses a lot of tackles.

It's possible one of Byrd or Ward hits the market, but the safety tag isn't that high. What would you expect these guys to command on the open market? Goldson got 5/41 with the Bucs - which is like getting the safety 2nd year tag 5 years in a row. You think the Pats would lay out that kind of money/commitment to either of these guys?

Obviously Wilson is the ideal TYPE of safety we want to have to compliment McCourty. Physical, in the box type of presence. And at his current salary, he would be the ideal type at a good number. The problem is it's very unlikely that he's actually that caliber of player anymore.

But given the relatively low downside, keeping him through camp and seeing what he's got is a no brainer. If it's fairly obvious that he's not going to make the cut early on, BB will cut him to save the money and give Wilson a chance to look elsewhere.

I'm rooting for the guy, I think he's the smart, tough safety we'd like to have. My expectations are not high though.

Hey, look, the guy's a long shot. No one's doubting that.

But...Wilson working to rejoin Pats | ChatPats.com

"Devin McCourty is leading a group of Pats heading to Arizona to work out with Wilson, so the team continues to have hopes for the veteran."

I think that says a lot about this guy's work ethic and character...and what the coaches and his teammates thought about him last year.

The Pats bring in veterans all the time and rave about the benefit of their leadership and experience, only to cut them in July when they realize they have nothing left. Tory Holt (IR'd and then cut) and Joseph Addai come to mind.

The Pats bring in veterans all the time and rave about the benefit of their leadership and experience, only to cut them in July when they realize they have nothing left. Tory Holt (IR'd and then cut) and Joseph Addai come to mind.

John Lynch, safety a few years ago. Cut, nothing left.

The safety position could see a bloodbath in NE this offseason. There's the potential to see

A. Wilson
T. Wilson
Gregory
Ebner

looking for work elsewhere.

I sincerely hope the Pats do enough at the position in the offseason to cut him and Gregory.

Gregory gets too much grief here. He's a good backup/spot starter. I don't think he should be a regular starter but I certainly don't blame him for the issues we have in regards to our pass defense. If we have any consistent pass rush, he's actually pretty good at anticipating plays. It's only when QBs have all day to throw does his physical limitations get magnified.

Gregory gets too much grief here. He's a good backup/spot starter.

I think that's exactly right. Gregory is a good backup / spot starter. The problem is, he's a full time starter and being paid much more than a good backup ($3.68M 2014 cap hit, the 11th highest on the team).

The safety position could see a bloodbath in NE this offseason. There's the potential to see

A. Wilson
T. Wilson
Gregory
Ebner

Both Tavon Wilson and Ebner are both solid special teamers. Neither have significant salaries. One could be cut because of a numbers game, but not both. In fact, the Pats lose $23k off the cap to cut Tavon. My guess is both those players are on the 53 man roster.

Gregory will stay if he is willing to take a pay cut.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like there's no downside to bringing Wilson into camp, in terms of financials (nothing more paid until week 1). I guess we'll find out if his poor performance (an assessment based solely on where he was on the depth chart in exhibitions, and his play in them) was related to an existing injury or not.

Like Wifork, maybe something was off with the Achilles to begin with.

Agree with the sentiments above. Gregory is a decent player who is very much overpaid.

With a lot of these guys, the question will be value over replacement, and I think you have to consider the dead money sunk in at some cases. Some cases. You do what's best for your team, but two guys being equal, I would think you take the guy you're already taking a hit for this year. Gregory is a substantial sum of money, but with A. Wilson, you are already invested $750K in him on the 2014 cap, so if you bring in a vet min guy to replace him and you aren't getting better play, is it worth it?

Guess I'm saying I hope Wilson stops sucking and makes the team.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like there's no downside to bringing Wilson into camp, in terms of financials (nothing more paid until week 1). I guess we'll find out if his poor performance (an assessment based solely on where he was on the depth chart in exhibitions, and his play in them) was related to an existing injury or not.

Keeping Wilson through camp means that his money remains tied up. That's only a problem if the need the money, obviously, but cutting Wilson does free up more than a million dollars for free agency.

I think that's exactly right. Gregory is a good backup / spot starter. The problem is, he's a full time starter and being paid much more than a good backup ($3.68M 2014 cap hit, the 11th highest on the team).

I didn't realize his cap hit was that much. That is excessive for a backup/spot starter. Hopefully he renegotiates.

I didn't realize his cap hit was that much. That is excessive for a backup/spot starter. Hopefully he renegotiates.

I'd be thrilled if Gregory and Harmon were our #3/4 safeties and if Gregory's cap hit was lower. But that's a huge difference from where we are right now.

Keeping Wilson through camp means that his money remains tied up. That's only a problem if the need the money, obviously, but cutting Wilson does free up more than a million dollars for free agency.

Good point. I'd still see what you have in Wilson, though. Gregory is tying up a lot.

A. Wilson
T. Wilson
Gregory
Ebner

That miracle would indicate a substantial upgrade in talent that would make my day.
I do like ST contributor Ebner, but he probably plays cover safety about like I do.

No capologist here but BB could initially plan to keep Adrian Wilson through camp but in an instant upon seeing an FA opportunity that requires that million, cut him then and sign the FA.

However, teams also need to carry cap headroom into the regular season so that Wilson could also possibly be a last minute cut for that sign a vet for injury cap allocation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST