PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adrian Phillips appreciation thread

Phillips has been great. i see a 3-year deal keeping him here.

He'd be one of my top re-sign targets, certainly.
1, Jackson 4-5 years or franchised.
2. Brown with lots of NLTBE clauses (you play, we pay).
3. Phillips 2-3 years.

3a, if possible. McCourty 1-2 years. Get rid of that VOID dead money. Get value, He can still get it done.

Then...Karras 3-4 years.

Keep the ERFA's, especially Jakob Johnson and Myles Bryant.

Sign Bolden 1 year, 2 if demanded.

Sign Bentley, Myers, Gunner - if the money is right.

Then the old guard if they want to keep going - HT, Collins, Slater, White (doubt he'll play again, unfortunately), Folk...again, based on money.

Looks to me like the Pats are in great shape next year.

3. Phillips 2-3 years.

3a, if possible. McCourty 1-2 years. Get rid of that VOID dead money. Get value, He can still get it done.

Then...Karras 3-4 years.

Then the old guard if they want to keep going - HT, Collins, Slater, White (doubt he'll play again, unfortunately), Folk...again, based on money.

Do the Pats have 2022 and 2023 cap room to keep JC Jackson right now at $20m/year, yes or no?

3. Phillips 2-3 years.

Then...Karras 3-4 years.

I don't know how many of these guys they'll be able to keep, but I also didn't think they'd be bringing back Andrews AND Guy, while still adding a bunch of new talent. So I'm optimistic.

3. Phillips 2-3 years.

Then...Karras 3-4 years.

AP turns 30 in March. Might have a couple of top years left.

I'm guessing they'll have $40-$45m of cap space to play with.

AP turns 30 in March. Might have a couple of top years left.

I'm guessing they'll have $40-$45m of cap space to play with.
Over the cap estimates the Patriots with $25m of cap space for 2022, and if DMac walks, it reduces to $21m with his void years.

The good news is most free agent signings can be backloaded, and with a likely large cap jump in 2023 that shouldn’t cause a long term issue.

On top of that, the Pats have very little in 2023 cap commitments as it is - OTC estimates nearly $115m in cap space which is in the top quarter of the league. That means not only do they have the space to backload resignings (and new FA), but they also have a ton of room to restructure anyone else if they want to create more space in 2022. Most obvious candidate is to extend Wynn (10.4m base salary), and Judon can be restructured ($11m salary can be converted to bonus). But this is all a topic for another day…. Point is that they could resign many of their guys if they want to, even though 2022 cap space itself appears to be limited. We’re in the midst of the rookie QB contract years which is a huge help when you hit with the rookie QB.

Over the cap estimates the Patriots with $25m of cap space for 2022, and if DMac walks, it reduces to $21m with his void years.

The good news is most free agent signings can be backloaded, and with a likely large cap jump in 2023 that shouldn’t cause a long term issue.

On top of that, the Pats have very little in 2023 cap commitments as it is - OTC estimates nearly $115m in cap space which is in the top quarter of the league. That means not only do they have the space to backload resignings (and new FA), but they also have a ton of room to restructure anyone else if they want to create more space in 2022. Most obvious candidate is to extend Wynn (10.4m base salary), and Judon can be restructured ($11m salary can be converted to bonus). But this is all a topic for another day…. Point is that they could resign many of their guys if they want to, even though 2022 cap space itself appears to be limited. We’re in the midst of the rookie QB contract years which is a huge help when you hit with the rookie QB.
The players below could be extended, forced to take a cut or waived.

Adjust Shaq
Adjust Agholor
Adjust God
Adjust JJ
Adjust KVN
Cut/Adjust Anderson
Adjust Guy
Cut/Trade Harry
Cut JoJuan

I'm not sure what they can do with Smith. I need to look at that one,

If they make the commitment to sign JC or whomever else they'll need to make some room.

Chung was a better in-the-box, stick-your-nose-in-the-pile defender, but AP is a superior athlete with superior-plus coverage skills & hands.

Yeah I love all this theoretical stuff, it's just that Patrick Chung was a 3-time NFL Champion at one of the toughest defensive spots in football. But I hope Philips and Dugger can keep it up. It looks like both Philips AND Dugger are good box safeties, so I have no idea how they can keep both on the field all the time. The Pats Defense does not work at all without an elite strong safety (Rodney, Chung) and an ELITE CB1 (Law, Revis, Gilmore)

Last game he had 1 tfl and was also a fantastic celebrator of this 1 play. How about all the missed tackles on the Browns' opening drive.
The team had exactly 6 TFL during the Atlanta game. They had 4 TFL against Cleveland, and 4 against the Jets. Clearly my laymen's observation has deceived me, these games were not defensive thrashings, in fact, they were obviously underwhelming performances.

Phillips, Hightower, McCourty, Dugger and Jackson recorded a combined ZERO TFL against the Falcons. Let's cut them for cap space.

Exactly how many TFL does a defensive player need to record to impress you?

Yeah I love all this theoretical stuff, it's just that Patrick Chung was a 3-time NFL Champion at one of the toughest defensive spots in football. But I hope Philips and Dugger can keep it up. It looks like both Philips AND Dugger are good box safeties, so I have no idea how they can keep both on the field all the time. The Pats Defense does not work at all without an elite strong safety (Rodney, Chung) and an ELITE CB1 (Law, Revis, Gilmore)
Who were the elite CB1s on the 2004 and 2016 champions?

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back