PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Add One Former Patriot to this team

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you could add any one Belichick era player from the past to the current team, who would you select? I'm curious if there's an obvious choice. I am torn between Wilfork and Moss.
Willie McGinest, Ted Washington.

I see you managed to awake from your general anaesthesia with old personality intact. What a travesty ;)

Not quite, now I'm going to run a dumb joke about pretending to think Seymour sucked into the ground. Before I would have lost the motivation to do that after like 20 minutes.

Rodney Harrison.

If you add Moss, he would also replace Gronk as the Hail Mary D centerfielder, which as we learned is occasionally important.

I think people forget just how devastating the Brady-Moss connection was to opponents. In the history of the NFL, there has never been a duo to compare with 2007 Brady-Moss. It's not that I don't see the issue at DL (You can go back to the thread about the Shelton acquisition to see that I've been talking about this season's DL problems for a long time), it's that adding Moss would stress the Rams more than any other addition.

And I would put safety down at the bottom of the list of positions needing the helpful additions in this game, so Rodney isn't even a thought for me.

The Rams secondary is good but not intimidating, especially on the outside. Moss would be devastating. But the Patriots have scored on all the playoff teams they've faced. I expect the Patriots to put 30+ on the board.

I still have bad memories of the shoot out against the Eagles where they couldn't get a stop against Nick Foles with LeGarrette Blount having a solid day in the backfield. Gurley is a greater threat than Blount was last season. It's the Patriots defense that has me worried in this one.

In this situation, Richard Seymour at his best would occupy two blockers giving the crowd of DL/LBs openings to pressure Goff or get to Gurley before he gets to the second level. I mentioned Rodney for his versatility and extraordinary instincts against the run.

I'm not usually a fan of these hypothetical parlor games, but this one is interesting.

Last edited:
One very good reason - he's the standard every guard is compared to. Period.

Unfortunately his final game as a patriot was one of the worst team offensive line performances in the history of football.
(Talking about Hannah)

No, **** Hannah. Great player and he was right to talk **** about Eason but keep that in the locker room. I don't know how anyone would want a player who would call out their own QB like that.

Maybe if Hannah and the rest of the OL had done a better job of protecting Eason in that game, if Stanley Morgan had not dropped that sure TD pass it could have been very different. They still probably would have got hammered, but Eason would not have been such a scapegoat.

Talib.. their secondary would be struggling

tossup between Mcginest and Rodney Harrison

Randy Moss.

Maybe if Hannah and the rest of the OL had done a better job of protecting Eason in that game, if Stanley Morgan had not dropped that sure TD pass it could have been very different. They still probably would have got hammered, but Eason would not have been such a scapegoat.

Eason was embarrassingly afraid of getting sacked. That might have been lowkey PTSD from getting sacked a lot or something. I think Hannah's criticism was valid but for people who love to castigate Manning for throwing his OL under the bus using relatively tame language but to also celebrate Hannah for telling it like it is about Eason....the ironing is delicious.

Just curious about the Moss affect when playing against an aggressive D-line like the Rams have. 2007 Giants (SB) is a good example of what can happen when the opposing D-line gives Brady no time. The Ravens, though horrible in 2007, should have beaten the Patriots during the regular season, and is another example of an aggressive D being able to shut down Brady-Moss.

We had an outstanding O-line in 2007 but it was not enough. I still think the key to beating the Rams is to dink and dunk all game, and keep targeting the middle of the field. Moss would keep the Db's honest and probably get double coverage, and allow Edelman and Gronk to get free, but I get the sense that Brady would focus too much on Moss throughout the game.

Its too bad Amendola left. I think he would have been the perfect weapon for the short passing game, and he has been very clutch for the Patriots these last few years.

Last edited:
Give me Seymour opposite Flowers.

Scott Secules

Seymour or McGinest

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back