PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adam Humphrey anyone?

Same production. Meyers will get you the same production that humphries can get you not to mentioned he’s younger. You making it out like humphries is a number 2 wideout. He’s not!

Production is irrelevant when projecting roles of players. Humphries would be a much more of an inside, option route guy than Meyers could ever be because he is athletically more gifted to play that role.

You are comparing two different positions essentially. He'd be here to spell Edelman and not replace Meyers (unless Jakobi regresses).

Without brady what does this guy do for us?

Yeah, you are right.
Pessimism and despair are so much more dependable. Never any disappointment.

Im Almost willing to be everything I own that jules will.be better next year than humphrey

He will be 35 years coming off a season with lingering knee issues. We know Edelman at 100-80% is a superior player but you want to keep him at that for 16+ games, and give him some snaps where he doesn't get crushed by LBs and safeties (or just rest). On another level you also want to start looking for potential replacements given the age and how his contract ends soon.

Humphries will never be cheaper than now. I don't get why people react almost allergic to acquiring players at their low point who a couple years ago looked very promising but then couldn't break through in a new team. He might be toast, he might be someone that will fit a role perfectly here. The fact they were trying to get him two years back shows that there at least was a projected role for him even at a steep price.

Last edited:
He will be 35 years coming off a season with a lingering knee issues. We know Edelman at 100-80% is a superior player but you want to keep him at that for 16+ games, and give him some snaps where he doesn't get crushed by LBs and safeties (or just rest). On another level you also want to start looking for potential replacements given the age and how his contract ends soon.

Humphries will never be cheaper than now. I don't get why people react almost allergic to acquiring players at their low point who a couple years ago looked very promising but then couldn't break through in a new team. He might be toast, he might be someone that will fit a role perfectly here. The fact they were trying to get him two years back shows that there at least was a projected role for him even at a steep price.

Perhaps it's because he outright said that brady was eanetislly done or would.be during the length of the contract he was signing and he chose the titans over us.

Now, in hindsight he's been correct in which of the two franchises had the better outlook going forward but he was dead wrong in brady and in spurning us in a time in which we could of really used him perhaps it was a domino effect that led to the escalation of brady's departure.

In short, he didn't wanna be here before and since I don't think he moves the needle at all I don't think we need him at all.

That's just my opinion. Bill will.sign anyone to a contract that works for him.

There will be a lot veteran WRs available. The last couple historical drafts for WRs had made the older more expensive guys expendable.

If Humphreys want to come on a cheap 1 year deal, why not? But it's hard to imagine that more attractive options will be available.

KC, Sea, GB, Buff would be much better looking options due to QB play.

Production is irrelevant when projecting roles of players. Humphries would be a much more of an inside, option route guy than Meyers could ever be because he is athletically more gifted to play that role.

You are comparing two different positions essentially. He'd be here to spell Edelman and not replace Meyers (unless Jakobi regresses).
How is he more athletically gifted for the inside option route role?

Only on a vet min. Meyers can pick up the slot role for us going forward.

Last edited:
so. he wouldnt play here with an old qb. How will he react to having no qb? there will be better options in the next few weeks.

Same production. Meyers will get you the same production that humphries can get you not to mentioned he’s younger. You making it out like humphries is a number 2 wideout. He’s not!
For what it's worth, PFF rated Meyers higher playing the outside than in the slot in 2020. So perhaps the two could complement each other.

He's still young and has talent. His numbers were way down due to injury and lack of use in the TN offense - he'd get more playing time here.

Biggest concern: now two concussions and that neck injury.

If he's gtg, he'll certainly be a buy-low target.

Of course you bring him in if he's not expensive. Anyone who wouldn't take him for the vet min because of things he said a couple years ago or a recent, explainable dropoff in production (or--and this is the dumbest justification yet--because we don't have a good QB) is operating from pure emotion.

I think it all comes down to the philosophy of building a football team from mediocre to playoff contender. For that we only have to go back to see what Bill did in 2001 coming off a cap strapped 5-11 season in 2000. He shed a lot of cap costs, but when he went to FA he ignored the premium high priced players and opted for using that money to bring in a number of so called "secondary" FA's like Roman Phifer.

So I think that Bill will go that route again. And in broad strokes this is what I think he will do.

a. Bring in a middle of the road, relatively cheap QB like Jacoby

b. Add a good starting WR he can get in the $10MM range (that will be the big signing of the off season. A good starting WR, NOT a premier one.

c. Add a cap cut interior DT at a discounted price like Casey or hopefully Hicks

d. Fill in the rest with secondary L B's TE's, etc

In the draft at 15 the best value at that point is going to be in the DL and LB areas. Both areas of need and most importantly to the 2021 season, positions where rookies can make an instant impact (unlike QB, WR, TE)\

A lot of people will want to take a WR at that point, and there WILL be a good step 2 prospect available at that point. But there will also be WR who will end up being good receivers in all the rounds in this draft. In fact every year colleges send more NFL quality WR's to the league than any other position PERIOD. So while I really hope we draft a WR or 2, but just NOT in the first round.

Didn't the league change the rules for cutting someone who is injured? How does that affect this situation?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back