PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adam Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsGuy

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I'll b honest, I didn't know this guy from a hole in the wall. HOWEVER, his play is forcing his name into conversations. He's been a disruptor n I'll b watching his play tomorrow night

Always interesting to see which TC players make it big when it counts. Unfortunately, seems like a crapshoot. For every Malcolm Butler, there is a Bam C.

I liked him pre-draft. Was surprisingly underrated. Happy to see him land here.

Here a little preview . if you care
(originaly posted in UDFA thread: NE 2017 Draft haul + udfa
you have info and links for all UDFA players there . ill bump it tomorrow pre game)
____

Don't sleep on Adam Butler, DL, Vanderbilt
6'4, 293, 5.23/1.82, 7.51

Doesn't come across as most athletic player but he had better 3-cone than any DT at Combine (the closest was Tanzel Smart who was connected to Patriots) and very competitive 10y. A bit undersized he reminds me of Anthony Johnson (who was much more undersized) with his feisty play, motor and versatility along the line. He is not the missile like Easly but seems to be the next one in search of interior rushing DT.

I stumbled across him watching Cunningham's tapes. There was a funny guy making all kinds of plays. When I looked it up it was Butler.

Here is his game vs Tenn. (look f.e. at 10:20 for one of his great plays. Note that is late in 4th Q after playing whole game, so that can tell you a lot about his motor.)

Look at this tape vs. Florida and you won't believe this guy wasn't taken much earlier.
He doesn't sleep at starts of the games either. Look at Butler's (#69) play f.e. at 0:15 & 0:35 - two big TFLs in first 3 min, and then 2 sacks at 2:22 and 2:55:

Let's add two clips from Loyko from Tenn game for those not watchig 10 min tape:

BTW - he also played OG . and he looks like one too..

Wonderful UDFA pickup.

Honestly, I had no idea he was on the roster.

I remember last year a lot of us were excited about Anthony Johnson (3rd year DL) who looked real disruptive in pre-season, but ultimately didn't do much in the regular season and got released a couple months later.

Hopefully Butler can stick around & produce.

He's putting together a really good camp so far. Definitely one of the players I'm most looking forward to watching in the pre season. Good news that he's getting 1st team reps, we'll see how he does!!!

I love this time... the season of hope... the season of the underdog... the season of...

b71c7386a6ccdaf2689587b9b9185779.gif

...the dark horse. :)

Seems to have some quick twitch at the snap.

uh...ok....just went back in time to 13 years old...
13 yrs old? Who are you kidding? You went back in time to 30 mins ago.

you have info and links for all UDFA players there . ill bump it tomorrow pre game)
____

Doesn't come across as most athletic player but he had better 3-cone than any DT at Combine (the closest was Tanzel Smart who was connected to Patriots) and very competitive 10y. A bit undersized he reminds me of Anthony Johnson (who was much more undersized) with his feisty play, motor and versatility along the line. He is not the missile like Easly but seems to be the next one in search of interior rushing DT.

I stumbled across him watching Cunningham's tapes. There was a funny guy making all kinds of plays. When I looked it up it was Butler.

Here is his game vs Tenn. (look f.e. at 10:20 for one of his great plays. Note that is late in 4th Q after playing whole game, so that can tell you a lot about his motor.)

Look at this tape vs. Florida and you won't believe this guy wasn't taken much earlier.
He doesn't sleep at starts of the games either. Look at Butler's (#69) play f.e. at 0:15 & 0:35 - two big TFLs in first 3 min, and then 2 sacks at 2:22 and 2:55:

Let's add two clips from Loyko from Tenn game for those not watchig 10 min tape:

Wonderful UDFA pickup.

Butler seemed to get double-teamed a lot.

Butler is actually closer in size to Lawrence Guy (6'4", roughly 300) than he is to other Pats "undertackle" candidates - Valentine, Brown, Hamilton, Kilgo are around 6'2", 320 lbs +).

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how Butler is used tonight - whether or not he plays any off the edge in 30-fronts.

____

Wonderful UDFA pickup.

I remember when Bill was down there. Cunningham? Holden? Nope Butler.

Being loaded at DT may mean a struggle for him to make it, unlike Langi who may have a spot waiting for him at LB if he grabs it.

He will be one I watch tonight though, and he can change that status quo.

Here a little insight in what to expect from Butler today from Perry

ADAM BUTLER, DT
The Vanderbilt product has shown very good quickness during one-on-one periods since the start of camp, and his coaches have seemingly loaded more onto his plate with each passing practice. He's been used as an interior rusher in sub situations, but he's also been seen taking reps in the middle of the defensive line during goal-line periods. An unheralded undrafted rookie, he has been among the team's notable early risers in camp. As for his special-teams contribution? He's been seen on the kick-return team of late.

Is Gronk going to give up his number so Butler can keep his? Doubt it.

Overshadowed by Edelman's injury was Adam Butler destroying the Lions 1s:

Patriots-Lions Takeaways: Undrafted Rookie Dominates As Pass Rusher

(PFF warning)

4 QB pressures & two run stops on just over 20 snaps. I know i like to overrate UDFAs but he's starting to look like Akiem Hicks & our best find since Butler 1.0.

Roster lock & should probably play next to Guy on 3rd downs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News