PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

According to Reiss Sony Michel to start on PUP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting Michel on the PUP list is about 96th on my worry list. This is a "much ado about nothing" story. We know what we got with Sony. His knee condition is real and there is nothing we can do about it. The Pats can only manage it and hope they can get 5 quality years out of him. No one will be surprised if he doesn't get the 5th year option.

And if we only get 4 years like the one he had last year, it will STILL turn out to be a decent pick in the great scheme of things. Not a great pick by any means, but a decent pick. In the mean time the RB position is one of the 4 great strengths of this team (2ndary, OL, QB are the others.)

Bottom Line: Sony Michel is a player that unfortunately needs to be "managed". That being said, I'd be surprised if he isn't activated within 2 weeks. It is what it is.

Agree with most of it except the great/decent angle. His contributions to a SB title already made him a decent pick even if he retires tmw. If he stays the course and builds on it for another 2-3 years it will be a home run.

There are only so many early round players with that kind of impact that got a second contract from the Pats. And a pure RB will most likely not join this group no matter the state of his knee.

I agree, Michel was worth the pick even if he never plays another snap. You pick a guy in the bottom of the first round and he immediately makes a major contribution to a successful Superbowl run. There is no doubt about that guy anymore. That's what any team dreams to get out of a low first.

That's an interesting question. Let me offer another scenario. Suppose the Pats had picked the OTHER Georgia RB. Nick Chubb. Chubb, who also excelled as an inside the tackles runner, averaged 5.2 ypc and 996 yds for a Browns team that didn't have the OL the Pats did.

On the other hand, the Browns are more dependent on the run than Tom Brady's Patriots are.

I'd love to have Chubb, but Michel as a supplement to Brady's offense was everything we could have possibly wanted him to be and carved out a bigger role for himself than any QB in awhile.

The other thing is our RB depth is ridiculously deep which is good.

Harris will be a stud and will be a great compliment to Sony. Which will be good for them both and not wear them out.

Burkhead is as versatile as they come. Plays all 4 downs.

Bolden - ST monster and can take reps.

James White - Best 3rd down back in the league. Is also a better runner than he gets credit for, if he wasn’t the 3rd down back I think he’d get more carries.
While this is all true, the loss of Sony Michel completely changes the complexion of the RB corps. That shouldn’t be understated. He’s the straw that stirs the drink. While it’s a great complementary backfield when healthy, we’re left with the following without Michel :

—hoping that a rookie sees success for the second year in a row + no issues fumbling, etc

—giving the ball to Burkhead on a more consistent basis (also means passing more)

—watching a 3rd down back like White pick up 15 yards on 7 carries (also see Burkhead, also see passing more)

—hoping that Bolden can carry the load

It makes sense now that NE took another RB so high in the 2019 draft just one year after spending a 1st on Sony.

Ive never seen a team more cursed at drafting RBs.

FYI the average career of an NFL Running Back is 2.5 years, and we have no idea if Michel will or will not be back this year.. inow there is an extremely high attrition rate at that position..

The position is "cursed", not the NEP... quality depth is a good thing at RB, it also takes a lot of pressure off of Brady..

Unless he somehow remains injury free over the next couple years, it’s possible Sony never gets his second NFL contract. I hope he’s investing and spending wisely.

I just hope we didn’t draft Stevan Ridley in the first round.

That's an interesting question. Let me offer another scenario. Suppose the Pats had picked the OTHER Georgia RB. Nick Chubb. Chubb, who also excelled as an inside the tackles runner, averaged 5.2 ypc and 996 yds for a Browns team that didn't have the OL the Pats did.

I think a strong case could be made that Chubb would have been a better choice for the Pats if only on the basis of Sony's knee situation. The fact is that Sony's greatest gift, imho, is his eyes. He DOESN'T make many people miss, like Lewis did. He DOESN'T bowl people over like LGB did. What he DOES do is consistently get to the right place at the point of attack and get what's there. While he doesn't jump of the screen with individual talent, it would be a mistake to not recognize what he DOES do well.

That being said, I thought all along that if the Pats were to go RB that early, Chubb should have been the pick. It will be interesting to see who has the better career as an individual. Right now it seems that they are neck and neck.

Just a thought.

Nice objective view after watching both players in College I would have chosen Chubb I liked him more. And Sony is a player too but Chubb would have been my personal preference. That said I think Damien Harris is a Steal and will be a Great Rookie.

Where is the comparison between the two?
A solid RB but nothing special. Not a ton of burst, not much in the passing game. Injuries start to wear him down then he’s gone.

While this is all true, the loss of Sony Michel completely changes the complexion of the RB corps. That shouldn’t be understated. He’s the straw that stirs the drink. While it’s a great complementary backfield when healthy, we’re left with the following without Michel :

—hoping that a rookie sees success for the second year in a row + no issues fumbling, etc

—giving the ball to Burkhead on a more consistent basis (also means passing more)

—watching a 3rd down back like White pick up 15 yards on 7 carries (also see Burkhead, also see passing more)

—hoping that Bolden can carry the load
Harris hardly fumbled in 530 touches in his career.

Burkhead is a very solid runner. Runs really hard.

White will get his touches.

The Pats will probably have a really good line once again this year, they will be a top 5 rushing offense once again. Don't sleep on Harris, over 3,000 yards and a career 6.4 yards per carry against the SEC, some really good offenses. Only 7 other backs in Alabama history have over 3,000 yards.

The Pats will probably have a really good line once again this year, they will be a top 5 rushing offense once again. Don't sleep on Harris, over 3,000 yards and a career 6.4 yards per carry against the SEC, some really good offenses. Only 7 other backs in Alabama history have over 3,000 yards.
Fair points, but Sony really put the team on his back and allowed us to succeed when the options in the passing game were limited. I believe that he might be a top 10 talent when healthy, and that he has the capacity to run for 1,500 yards. He did not look like a rookie, last season.

A solid RB but nothing special. Not a ton of burst, not much in the passing game. Injuries start to wear him down then he’s gone.

Why are we are comparing Michel - who during his rookie year ran for almost a 1000 yards with no camp or preseason To Ridely who was a great back until he suffered a big concussion and then a serious knee injury that pretty much ended his career.

You think Michel is "nothing special?" Did I just read that?

Fair points, but Sony really put the team on his back and allowed us to succeed when the options in the passing game were limited. I believe that he might be a top 10 talent when healthy, and that he has the capacity to run for 1,500 yards. He did not look like a rookie, last season.
Couldn't agree any more. Sony Michel was my favorite player in the 2018 draft (1st time ever, the Pats picked my favorite player in any particular draft). It's not because I thought he was the best, it's because I thought he'd be the perfect player to replace Dion Lewis, so I was so pleasantly shocked Belichick took him. And boy did he deliver. I absolutely love the guy. I agree 100%, if healthy, he's a top 10 talent. To be honest, if he can produce like he did as a rookie, for the rest of his career, I'd be thrilled. I think he will become an all around back and be productive in the passing game as well. He has good hands.

Getting him involved in the passing game, makes our offense more unpredictable when Sony is in there. But his lack of production in the passing game, makes his rookie season even more impressive, think about it, the defenses knew that he was in there to take handoffs, and he still had a great rookie season.

To me, he's the 2nd best and most talented RB the Pats have drafted since Curtis Martin (no offense Robert Edwards). Health is the only thing that can derail his career. I'm hoping this is the last of his knee issues for a couple of seasons. I'm hoping his offseason surgery (and healing), brings us the Sony Michel of Georgia in 2017, way more explosive and elusive than we saw last season, I'm guessing his knee bothered him his whole rookie year.

But like I said, do not sleep on Damien Harris. When both guys are healthy, we are gonna have an even more impressive backfield than in 2018.

Why are we are comparing Michel - who during his rookie year ran for almost a 1000 yards with no camp or preseason To Ridely who was a great back until he suffered a big concussion and then a serious knee injury that pretty much ended his career.

You think Michel is "nothing special?" Did I just read that?
I think he’s a good RB but not a special one. I don’t see the burst or (so far) anything in the passing game. If he was a third round pick I would be fine with his skill set but a first round pick should stand out physically.

I think he’s a good RB but not a special one. I don’t see the burst or (so far) anything in the passing game. If he was a third round pick I would be fine with his skill set but a first round pick should stand out physically.

Getting almost 1000 yards your rookie year without camp or PS is special.

And Michel got almost 1000 yards in 13 games.

Just like Brady stands out physically? So much of the game is about making good choices on the field, and Michel showed consistent improvement in that regard. His vision and adaptability to numerous blocking schemes are what allowed him to have possibly the most dominant rookie playoff rushing performance in NFL history (he owns the most postseason TDs of any rookie).

Getting almost 1000 yards your rookie year without camp or PS is special.

The critic's narrative was set on Michel when he had poor blocking and a slow start. He played in 16 games in the regular season and playoffs and put up well over 1200 yards and 12 TDs. That's a fantastic rookie year. They ignore the excellent patience, timing, balance, and ball security, as though those are lesser traits and therefore not important. Michel directly led to post season wins, while Barkley -- who is undeniably a physical marvel -- did nothing but bring some excitement to the dumpster-fire Giants. I'll take the consistent physicality of Michel.

I didn't think Harris ever fumbled during his Alabama career, and he was well known for doing all of the little things right already (a great blocker, solid receiver, hit the right hole, etc.). He has a very controlled strong running style that is very low to the ground and he almost always hits the right hole. Plus, I don't remember him really losing yardage too often, he usually was able to somehow squirt through the bottom of the pile to fall forward for positive yardage. Also, I don't remember him hardly every getting injured at Alabama. That said, at Alabama he probably wasn't as dynamic as Michael or as good at making making something out of nothing.

I expect great things of Harris. I wouldn't be surprised to have Harris in there banging out first downs and wearing down the defense and then Michael being inserted and eventually breaking off a big play. I am looking forward to this season. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing