PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A very underrated moments/plays of the game on Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellolin

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
1. The last drive before the OT, there was a down where Dee Ford was coming hot on Brady, Brady just got rid of the ball for an in-completion on the right slant before Dee Ford hits his hand. Tony Romo was right to immediately take notice that was the same exact situation in last year's Superbowl where Brady hold the ball just a bit longer to try to force a completion on that same throw, and Brandon Graham happened. This time Brady chose to throw it away, ends up being one of the factors that we didn't end up in a heart breaker this time around.

2. One of the X factor was how Gronk will play against Eric Berry. Thank God Berry probably were rushed to get into the game and wasn't 100% healthy, it took Gronk consistently trying very hard entire game to tire him out and finally got to beat him a few times near the end of the game, where we needed him the most. This was one of the things I thought that injuries on the Chief's side had helped us out.

3. Kareem Hunt's dismissal from the Chiefs did make a significant impact in yesterday's game, it was just hard to see because it was never mentioned. Since the Chiefs were using a third string RB ,so the Pats probably know they are not going to run much between the tackles, we were able to put Gilmore on Kelce in the second half. This was great for the situation of yesterday because since we know KC was not going to run much between the tackles, we would not have worried that Gilmore gets destroyed by Kelce in run blocking, he can just go all out and cover him on pass plays. If Hunt was there and KC would have probably utilized the running game more, thus making us less comfortable putting Gilmore on Kelce the whole second half.

4. This year's KC are very similar to 2010 Patriots team that made to the Superbowl but lost to the Giants, a lot young stars in an explosive offense, but with a defense that can't stop a nose-bleed when it mattered. And also our last year's Superbowl performance as well, what's the similarity between them? Both teams lacked a capable linebacker that can lay the wood and direct traffic. This year we got Hightower back, even through he is much, much slower than his prime, but still, this was good enough for us to put some much needed pressure on Maholmes and get him uncomfortable early enough that he never got into a rhythm in the first half. The Chiefs, meanwhile could not do that to Brady because they can't find a single linebacker on their team that can generate a respectable push outside their front 4 or 5.

5. With that being said, once Brady retires, the AFC championship game might go from the name of New England invitational to the Patrick Maholmes invitational. He is young, he's got the arm talent not seen since Dan Marino at least. His weakness right now is that he is inexperienced to the point that he couldn't call the plays himself at the line, read the defense at the time of snap and beat the blitz like all the elite QB like Brady and Manning can do. One of the hallmarks of an elite QB in this era is that they can always beat the blitz by pre-reading before the snap and direct their own WR traffic to get the ball out of their hands earlier than the rushers came. On Sunday, BB must have bet on the fact that Maholmes has yet acquired the ability to do that, and we played a lot of single high safety blitz in the first half that worked very well. I just want you to venture your mind for a bit, think about just the thought of using single high safety defense against the likes of Rodgers or Brees right now, how fast those QBs would eat our blitz for lunch by changing the play before snap and getting rid of the ball faster than Van Noy can ever get there.

5. With that being said, once Brady retires, the AFC championship game might go from the name of New England invitational to the Patrick Maholmes invitational.

Brady isn't the rule, and he isn't even the exception to the rule. He's the exception to the exception of the rule that NFL quarterbacks will struggle to consistently get as far as the conference championship in the NFL. Mahomes has a lot of talent, but Aaron Rodgers, also of great talent, has now played in just three NFC Championship games and won one. Rodgers (one) plus Brees (one) plus Roethlisberger (three) plus Peyton Manning (four) = the same number of conference titles as Brady (nine.) He's played in 13 conference championship games in 17 seasons. This is so far outside the stratosphere of even "elite" that no one is ever likely to come close again.

As for Mahomes, I hear the Chiefs are just itching to give him a $200M extension. That's going to work out really well with those expectations. Just look at how well it worked for the Packers, Saints, Colts, Seahawks, Falcons, Lions, etc. when they all couldn't wait to flex their muscles and show their quarterback was highest paid, like the organization achieved something positive by paying through the nose and weakening their resources to build a good supporting cast.

How about the Chung hit on Mahomes? That was a blast.
@Danny - got a gif broski?
vr7PbYs.gif

Edelman having the wherewithal to pull back from that punt (the one that was initially ruled a fumble) was one of the classic Patriots smarts moves. It's a shame it was overshadowed by the INT a couple of plays later.

Edelman having the wherewithal to pull back from that punt (the one that was initially ruled a fumble) was one of the classic Patriots smarts moves. It's a shame it was overshadowed by the INT a couple of plays later.
Nothing about that can be called smart. It was incredibly stupid for him to even be there and it was pure luck that it missed him, and even purer luck that there were camera angles that were able to collectively prove it didn't touch him.

Pre-game, I told my son the score would be 31-28, flip a coin as to who had 31. On the Pats last score in regulation, I was call for them to run two QB sneaks, force KC to use their last TO and run some clock. The Pats would still be left with two plays to score from say the 2 yard line and doubtful if KC would have time for a FG. Final score would have been 31-28.

The fact that he was even near the ball in the first place was idiotic.

The Chiefs last score .... did we just allow it to save clock?
If that was intentional ... it was a great play.

Do you mean the last KC TD? (not the final FG). It looked like it to me.

The timing was bonkers at the end of the game. I rewatched the end and like almost half the points didn't exist with only 3:50 left to go in the game.

Pre-game, I told my son the score would be 31-28, flip a coin as to who had 31. On the Pats last score in regulation, I was call for them to run two QB sneaks, force KC to use their last TO and run some clock. The Pats would still be left with two plays to score from say the 2 yard line and doubtful if KC would have time for a FG. Final score would have been 31-28.

And what if Burkhead gets stuffed like he did on the 4th and 1?

Belichick/McDaniels would go down as the two nuttiest coaches ever, especially after the Malcolm Butler fiasco last year.

And what if Burkhead gets stuffed like he did on the 4th and 1?

Belichick/McDaniels would go down as the two nuttiest coaches ever, especially after the Malcolm Butler fiasco last year.
By then, the Pats had worn down the Chiefs defense, Pats OL was overpowering them and BB knew it. No chance that Burkhead gets stuffed

Here's a drinking game for you... every time the Patriots RBs make a big play and #46 is in the shot somewhere, take a drink. You'll be plastered by halftime.

I called that play "The mightiest non-touch".

What I couldn't believe at the moment was He did it again after that close Super Bowl catch, this time is a non-catch, however.

I've rewatched the game several times.

The Patriots really got jobbed by the refs on multiple plays. The secondaries were clearly held to two polar opposite standards for physicality, as was the offensive PI against Dorsett and the allowed triple pick play. Probably the worst officiating decision of the game was a non-PI call on Dorsett's touchdown; it's a good thing he held on to it because that was more blatant than the Saints game. He got tackled at least a second before the ball got there.

The Chiefs are really an obnoxious group, and I'm really savoring this win. I can't imagine what the defense would have done had they gotten one sack on 90+ plays...maybe land a small aircraft at midfield and have rapper come out so they could all celebrate? Tyreek Hill made one catch but easily led both teams in celebration minutes. After TDs, the hip thrusts from their players were just really weird. They strike me as a mega-talented but also really immature group. I wonder if they're going to become the Steelers 2.0 with a culture that caters to prima dona superstars.

By then, the Pats had worn down the Chiefs defense, Pats OL was overpowering them and BB knew it. No chance that Burkhead gets stuffed
Yup, Romo said it on air also, that the Chief's defence was visibly tired and had their hands on their knees, he was yelling for Reid to take a time out so the defence can rest. Reid did not, and the Pats punched in on first try.

With that being said, once Brady retires, the AFC championship game might go from the name of New England invitational to the Patrick Maholmes invitational.

Mahomes has plenty of time to develop, and he's got a world of talent. Right now, though, he's a Tyreek Hill injury away from being the QB of the 3rd place team in the AFCW. Hill, not Mahomes, is the key to that offense, because he opens everything up, and allows Mahomes to get away with a lot of things that would never work without Hill on the field.

Chiefs records with Alex Smith at QB

11 - 5
9 - 6
11 - 5
12 - 4
10 - 6

So, outside of beating a Colts team that obviously didn't show up for the playoffs, Mahomes hasn't really done anything that Smith wasn't doing, in terms of team success.

To be clear, I'm not knocking Mahomes. I'm just suggesting that people slow down about his coronation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey