PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A scoop of humble pie may be good for BB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Bam Cunningham

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
This season I think has been an eye opener for Bill. It has been a long time since he was criticized to this extent but also deep downI am sure he realizes he messed up bug time with the transition away from Brady.

I suspect he thought making the playoffs was low probability but I do not think he believed they would sink to the lows they have where they have been getting blown out and the games are over by second or third quarter.

Humble pie may serve BB and Pats well by:

1) Making BB hungry for excellence again
2) Rendering him more open to new ideas
3) More flexible in his approach to drafting and free agents, because he knows it has been an abysmal failure over the past three years
4) Maybe have him reconsider his approach with the media. He can keep everything secret without be such an a-hole
5) Perhaps considering bringing on more experienced assistant on his coaching staff
6) Having him acknowledge to himself that it is outstanding players who execute that is critical to success, more so than a genius head coach.

Bill will never be humble. All the great players and coaches have a huge ego, Bill does, Brady does. All of them.

All of that makes sense though. #4 is endearing when a team is winning but not if they’re losing like this one has. Now the media will have their chance for payback and we’re hearing it already.

I think Tom’s success in Tampa is great for the pats. He hears the narrative that Brady made Bill successful and it will only get louder. Won’t let him get complacent and his ego won’t let that stand for long.

Bill can flip that narrative right back with a successful rebuild.

This season I think has been an eye opener for Bill. It has been a long time since he was criticized to this extent but also deep downI am sure he realizes he messed up bug time with the transition away from Brady.

I suspect he thought making the playoffs was low probability but I do not think he believed they would sink to the lows they have where they have been getting blown out and the games are over by second or third quarter.

3) More flexible in his approach to drafting and free agents, because he knows it has been an abysmal failure over the past three years
4) Maybe have him reconsider his approach with the media. He can keep everything secret without be such an a-hole
5) Perhaps considering bringing on more experienced assistant on his coaching staff
6) Having him acknowledge to himself that it is outstanding players who execute that is critical to success, more so than a genius head coach.
So let me get this straight. After belichick created, developed and ran the greatest dynasty in the history of the sport, you hope that one losing season changes who is? Are you serious?

Give me a break with this ****.

Ridiculous post.

So let me get this straight. After belichick created, developed and ran the greatest dynasty in the history of the sport, you hope that one losing season changes who is? Are you serious?
I didn’t read it that way.

Being less abrasive with the media will be helpful. Otherwise the media will pile on like they’ve been waiting to do for 20 years and it’s started already.

I don’t think Belichick necessarily needs motivation, but I think the results made him realize he was wrong about some things personnel-wise.

They do need to address the offense further. I think he thought they’d be good enough to get through it and be competitive, but they were grossly undermanned and I do question Newton’s health given how much stronger he looked through the first few weeks after going back through the season the other night. But there were a lot of things that also went wrong that didn’t help things, and only Bill really knows what those are.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1

Being less abrasive with the media will be helpful. Otherwise the media will pile on like they’ve been waiting to do for 20 years and it’s started already.
I agree.. you can be abrasive and be arrogant like steve jobs when you have success after success . But when you have failures and abject ones and you still try to act smug and arrogant , it really looks bad, it will look like Matt Patricia trying to do a belichick after every lions game . The media will also be relentless and whatever goodwill or aura Bill built will vanish before Bill realizes.. and at some point it will break you..

Not saying one season changes our perception, but showing arrogance when you are failing is not a good recipe..

"Aha, Belichick going 6-9 confirms that he's been doing things wrong all along!"

Words can be very hurtful. Bill should sue.
I guess some fans should also sue for the hurtful words that make them sad

Why would anyone care about the media? The other 5 were basically belichick needs to learn he sucks and abdicate responsibility to other unknown people.

I agree.. you can be abrasive and be arrogant like steve jobs when you have success after success . But when you have failures and abject ones and you still try to act smug and arrogant , it really looks bad, it will look like Matt Patricia trying to do a belichick after every lions game . The media will also be relentless and whatever goodwill or aura Bill built will vanish before Bill realizes.. and at some point it will break you..

Not saying one season changes our perception, but showing arrogance when you are failing is not a good recipe..
Again why would you care how belichicks relationship with the press looks? He doesn’t care. Nor should he.

Otherwise the media will pile on like they’ve been waiting to do for 20 years and it’s started already.
I had to turn the sound off on MNF on BSPN, tired of the bilbo’s ball washing, and every stat that it’s ova.

I’ve never understood why anyone cares about his demeanour during pressers. If anything, his historical approach has been much, much more entertaining than the usual HC strategy.

First, he is cartoonish and I personally find it hilarious. I also like his disdain for stupid questions. Finally, his strategy makes it so that he never offends opponents, colleagues, players... so they don’t need to feel « disrespected » and whatnot.

He also knows a few plays here and there and they could be 9-7. This was definitely a strange year and it just came down to the fact they didn’t have the guys to get it done in key moments. Those little things don’t seem like much until you don’t have them, but we obviously saw the results and while it’s unfortunate, I’d like to think we’ll see changes in 2021 that should see an improvement.

I’ve never understood why anyone cares about his demeanour during pressers. If anything, his historical approach has been much, much more entertaining than the usual HC strategy.

First, he is cartoonish and I personally find it hilarious. I also like his disdain for stupid questions. Finally, his strategy makes it so that he never offends opponents, colleagues, players... so they don’t need to feel « disrespected » and whatnot.
I also like that he did stand up for himself and pushed back (“I’m not going to apologize for our record over the last 20yrs”), he’s earned it. But obviously the bar is set and I think we’ll get a better sense of where his head is at by the time we get to June/July. It should definitely be interesting.

mmmmm-pie.jpg

He'll be back to serving it up in no time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back