PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A New CB To Compete With Bryant and Wade

It seems that Austin should be a competitor for #5 CB or #6 CB next year. He played all the reps, and I never heard his name.
Got picked on a bit, and he was penalized twice, but to your point, there was some context given that I think his defensive issues were super early in the game (when he didn't even know he was starting) and he went on to play 100% of the snaps. So with that in mind, I agree, it was a decent performance.

And as you said, with Jackson not suiting up, it was tough and it feels like Austin's emergence was at the expense of Wade after he was a healthy scratch. Not sure how he fell out of favor as I feel like it was recent that Belichick was speaking positively about him. Definitely an odd development.

All 3 have been okay this year overall, i like wade the most of them. I think cb is in decent shape for next year with gonzo/jon/marcus/wade and some cheap competition for #5 . Id also try to resign jcj on a prove it deal if his issues clear up, at least bring him to camp. shouldn’t cost much

Considering he learned he was going to start right before the game he played well. Granted the Chiefs receivers are terrible but he held his own after getting thrown into the mix unexpectedly.

All 3 have been okay this year overall, i like wade the most of them. I think cb is in decent shape for next year with gonzo/jon/marcus/wade and some cheap competition for #5 . Id also try to resign jcj on a prove it deal if his issues clear up, at least bring him to camp. shouldn’t cost much
Not sure about Wade, this Austin looked as good in his first game as Wade after 3 years.
And, it was a nice idea to bring JC back - but the guy has lost his mind, maybe CTE?

Gonzo, Jon, Marcus, Austin, Bolden (they really liked him before his head injury preseason) + FA or Draft

Not sure about Wade, this Austin looked as good in his first game as Wade after 3 years.
And, it was a nice idea to bring JC back - but the guy has lost his mind, maybe CTE?

Gonzo, Jon, Marcus, Austin, Bolden (they really liked him before his head injury preseason) + FA or Draft

Wade was playing pretty well until the injury. Austin should be brought back in to compete. Jcj im not expecting much but why not if he’s mentally fit.

Most years I would have this as a secondary need in case gonzo /jon/marcus go down again but we have so many holes to fill i don’t want to put cb above too many other areaa.

All 3 are solid backups.

I want Marcus Jones taking their reps next year, but don't be surprised if they draft a CB in the 3rd. Jon Jones will be 32 next year. Clearly the Patriots need a long term answer opposite Gonzalez.

Clearly, CB was a huge need in the last draft. All the moaning about taking another defensive player and look where we are. In 2025, we'll have Gonzalez and ???

It seems that Austin should be a competitor for #5 CB or #6 CB next year. He played all the reps, and I never heard his name.
Did you have the sound turned off?

All 3 are solid backups.

I want Marcus Jones taking their reps next year, but don't be surprised if they draft a CB in the 3rd. Jon Jones will be 32 next year. Clearly the Patriots need a long term answer opposite Gonzalez.

Clearly, CB was a huge need in the last draft. All the moaning about taking another defensive player and look where we are. In 2025, we'll have Gonzalez and ???
100 mill in cap space can allow a chunk to be devoted to giving Gonzo a running mate.

Agreed. He has some ability. He could be a diamond in the rough. I'm sure next season Mayo will give him plenty of opportunities. We need CB depth badly.

The pats should've signed Ward in 2022. It'll be hard to spend $100+ million in cap space on their own FAs and offensive players given the lack of talent in FA on that side of the ball anyway.

L'Jarius Sneed is a 6'1" press man CB who can play outside & in the slot. He's given up 0 TDs & has a 56.6 rating against. There's a chance he'll be an all-pro this year. The pats should be all over him to pair with Gonzalez IMO.

The pats should've signed Ward in 2022. It'll be hard to spend $100+ million in cap space on their own FAs and offensive players given the lack of talent in FA on that side of the ball anyway.

L'Jarius Sneed is a 6'1" press man CB who can play outside & in the slot. He's given up 0 TDs & has a 56.6 rating against. There's a chance he'll be an all-pro this year. The pats should be all over him to pair with Gonzalez IMO.
Agreed. Jack Jones had that opportunity he was supposed to be the #2. He pissed that away in NE. Sneed was always good. KCs offense was so electric that thier defense couldn't match. ALL PRO is the telling accomplishment. Gonzo was heading in that direction as a rookie. What they should be doing is re-upping peppers, picking up barmores 5th year, franchise Dugger, we have some studs on defense need to keep guys together.

All 3 are solid backups.

Marcus Jones isn't great at corner but he's an excellent return man/gadget guy on offense. They need to leave him to those two roles and don't get him injured playing corner.

Marcus Jones isn't great at corner but he's an excellent return man/gadget guy on offense. They need to leave him to those two roles and don't get him injured playing corner.
to be clear, you think that his role is #5 WR and punt returner

:) The posters would go mad if we spent the money for a top CB to play opposite Gonzo. They want the money spent on a top WR or two.
LOL.. I know right ✅️.. Groh I'm sure is going to target Another stud CB in FA.. those guys are neccessary.

:) The posters would go mad if we spent the money for a top CB to play opposite Gonzo. They want the money spent on a top WR or two.
You can do both, the problem is a guy like Tee Higgins would instantly become our best WR, and then we'd watch him drop balls left and right like he's been doing all year in New England.

The real question: how much longer can Jon Jones go? 32 is pretty old. Let's ask Richard Sherman about the lifespan of an NFL CB.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back