PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A mad Chargers fan responds to Colvin

Status
Not open for further replies.
In other words, Tomlinson, Rivers, et al, blew things out of proportion.

And worse: Tomlinson acted real 'classy' by claiming that it all came from the coach.

To all the fans who are hurt by the Pats celebrations and comments: did you see or read about the Pats celebrate or comment like this the previous week when we won over the Jets? After all, the Jets game had a lot of subplots and anger/humiliation/payback drama in it.

So, maybe you should start realizing that there could be something more that went on between the players' that stirred this kind of a strong celebration and not as if Rosie and the other Pats players suddenly became arrogant and classless.

I feel bad for Tomilson playing his heart out and then losing because of some stupid errors by others on the team. So, I can understand his anger and irritation at the Pats players for their celebration and mocking Merriman's dance. But to call out BB as the reason for it?? That's lame and childish.

The Chargers are and will continue to be a great team. We were a bit lucky (and more determined I would say) to come off with a win despite being outplayed for most part.

Let's focus on the Colts and hope TB doesn't have similar #s. Actually, I don't care about the #s or about how sloppy we play as long as we have a win.

GO PATS!

While I don't agree with the "Lights Out" imitation, I wasn't that upset about it. But these comments from Roosevelt Colvin took me over the edge.

"And when the Pats' thrilling, 24-21 divisional playoff win over the Chargers was in the books early last night, Rosevelt Colvin came off the field at Qualcomm Stadium with fire flying from his mouth.

“Shut the power off!” shrieked Colvin down a hallway to a group of Chargers players entering their locker room.

His voice echoed off the walls, and stadium security guards began to inch off their posts in anticipation of a Chargers player going at the Pats linebacker.

“It's lights out!” continued Colvin, mocking the nickname of Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman. “See you next year, chumps!”

I ask, why is this taunting necessary? Look, if you're the Patriots, you just escaped with a win, in a game you probably didn't have any business winning. You've now earned a chance to play for the Super Bowl. Why don't you just revel in the joy of that?? Is that not enough? Has winning gotten old in New England, and now it's more about rubbing it in?

But wait, there's more mouthing off from Colvin:

“They were planning parades. They actually had a pep rally last week. I'm serious. We're not in high school, man. We here in this locker room know how to approach a situation. We know how to win.”

So everyone in New England wants to make an issue over the Chargers holding a rally. What's so wrong with that? Chargers fans get criticized when they don't get enthusiastic about their team, but when they do show enthusiasm, they get criticized as well. Doesn't seem right to me. Look, I'd think New England fans would respect that, being as sports crazed as you are. I mean, I could tell all you Red Sox fans to get a life and stop spending most of your lives obsessing about them, but I won't, because I respect the passion you have for your team. (I'm presuming most people on this board are BoSox fans too)

Oh please.

While I don't agree with the "Lights Out" imitation, I wasn't that upset about it. But these comments from Roosevelt Colvin took me over the edge.

"And when the Pats' thrilling, 24-21 divisional playoff win over the Chargers was in the books early last night, Rosevelt Colvin came off the field at Qualcomm Stadium with fire flying from his mouth.

“Shut the power off!” shrieked Colvin down a hallway to a group of Chargers players entering their locker room.

His voice echoed off the walls, and stadium security guards began to inch off their posts in anticipation of a Chargers player going at the Pats linebacker.

“It's lights out!” continued Colvin, mocking the nickname of Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman. “See you next year, chumps!”

I ask, why is this taunting necessary? Look, if you're the Patriots, you just escaped with a win, in a game you probably didn't have any business winning. You've now earned a chance to play for the Super Bowl. Why don't you just revel in the joy of that?? Is that not enough? Has winning gotten old in New England, and now it's more about rubbing it in?

“They were planning parades. They actually had a pep rally last week. I'm serious. We're not in high school, man. We here in this locker room know how to approach a situation. We know how to win.”

So everyone in New England wants to make an issue over the Chargers holding a rally. What's so wrong with that? Chargers fans get criticized when they don't get enthusiastic about their team, but when they do show enthusiasm, they get criticized as well. Doesn't seem right to me. Look, I'd think New England fans would respect that, being as sports crazed as you are. I mean, I could tell all you Red Sox fans to get a life and stop spending most of your lives obsessing about them, but I won't, because I respect the passion you have for your team. (I'm presuming most people on this board are BoSox fans too)

I understand you're upset, and why. But the bottom line here is simple: don't start what you can't finish. The Chargers' trash-talking after last year's game in Foxboro (including things reported by players from the locker room) was all over the media. Yesterday, the Patriots, shall we say, finished the dialogue.

Last edited:
Your team won last year in Gillette and acted with no class. We paid you back. Take it like a man, Chargers.

...and the Chargers (and many fans) were talking smack all week, acting with no class even BEFORE the game.

Apparently its "classy" to do that before you've proven anything on the field.

The Patriots, for their part, refuse to respond to that before the game. They earn the right do say what they want by winning the game.

The Chargers players seem to have no problem with taunting before the game, but can't stand it after. If they want to stop it from happening again, my advice to them is to stop making stupid & classless mistakes like headbutting opposing players on 4th down.

That's a good first step in stopping "classless" behavior of teams celebrating victory on their field

West Coast=showtime

East Coast = Walk the Walk THEN Talk the Talk.

Of course complaining and crying after the fact is part of the act too.

It's that hour in between where you need to prove something and that's gone.

I'm going to the beach, (Florida) and you should too.

What can I say Colvin is the tits. I am glad he mocked you guys as well. Just like your ******* coaches and players did to us last year.

Last edited:
i gurantee had we not played u last year and had Merriman not said anything that Colvin or others wouldnt have done anything stupid

u guys gave it last year, we gave it back and trust me they didnt forget

funny how every charger players and fan forgets everything they did last year

The Chargers were talking trash all week with Merriman saying he was going to give Brady and the offensive line a lights out shirt. They were planning a Super Bowl parade. According to Tom Brady, Reche was talking to his former teammates and they were disrespecting the Patriots.

Bruschi, on Dale and Holley this morning, said the Chargers were talking trash all game.

Payback is a beotch.

Last edited:
All this stuff is nonsense. Teams psych themselves up by taking whatever they can personally. Most of that plays out on the field, but some of it spills over before and after game time. The "inappropriate" comments by the likes of Colvin and Tomlinson are the spillover from this psychological component of the game. The kinds of insults that people are taking personal umbrage over is silly. It's a major football game, and the players have so much pent up energy that they're bound to say a few things that sportscasters can easily exploit. Let's not judge them. Both teams played great, and overall both teams are professional and classy, despite the occasional mistake. There were no fights, no seriouis threats, no vicious insults, just a few non choice words by football players, who may sometimes lack in the social graces. Big deal.

Just posted this in another thread, but bears re-posting. www.profootballtalk.com has some good commentary on the post-game antics:

L.T. TAKES SWIPE AT BELICHICK

The guy whom many have suggested should be the face of the NFL showed a little of his ass on Sunday.

Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson appeared to be pissed off about something as he left the field following the Patriots' stunning come-from-behind win in San Diego. He was asked about the situation in the locker room.

"[Y]es, I was upset," Tomlinson said. "Very upset. When you go to the middle of our field and you start doing the dance that Shawne Merriman is known for, that's disrespectful to me and I can't sit there and watch that. And so yeah, I was very upset. And just the fact the way they showed no class at all, absolutely no class, and maybe it comes from the head coach. There you have it."

No class? Hey, L.T., maybe it's just us, but we haven't seen many news items this year about Patriots players taking nandro or buying up the key ingreidient for "purple drank" and shipping it to Houston or getting into shoot-outs with cops or being investigated for importing knock-off athletic shoes that would then be sold to U.S. suckers at full price or driving drunk or doing any of the other things that various members of your team did this year.

And we're not defending Bill Belichick here. We don't like the whole cut-off hoodie look, and not many others do. Though we think that too much was made of him grabbing that photographer last week after beating the Jets, it definitely was something he shouldn't have done.

But there's never been a question about the Patriots being anything other than classy.

So does mimicking Shawne Merriman's "lights out" dance cross the line after the Pats turned the "lights out" on the Chargers' season? What the hell is the difference between the two? Is L.T. saying it's okay for Merriman to show up an opponent with that Tourette's patient on speed routine after making a play because he thought it up first?

It's a stupid argument, and it was a stupid thing for Tomlinson to say.

He wasn't upset because the Patriots were celebrating, he was upset because the Chargers lost, and because his storybook season ended a couple of chapters short.

And there may be an epilogue in this one, in Hawaii. If the Pats should lose to the Colts next week, the head coach of L.T.'s team will be Bill Belichick.

Also:

CHARGERS HAVE A SHORT MEMORY

Amid complaints from running back LaDainian Tomlinson and other members of the San Diego Chargers that the New England Patriots celebrated too fervently their unlikely victory over the 14-2 Bolts on Sunday, we've been reminded of the Chargers reaction to a similarly unlikely win from a year ago.

In New England.

After thumping the Pats by the score of 41-17 and shattering the team's 21-game home winning streak, the Chargers were not exactly humble.

"That's a [butt]-whipping," said defensive coordinator Wade Phillips in an article penned by Tom Curran, who at the time wrote for the Providence Journal and who now works for NBCSports.com.

Cornerback Drayton Florence (or is it Florence Drayton?) was less tactful: "F--k New England and their team," he said, before turning to a "collection of onlookers" and adding: "Get the look of shock off your faces. Don't be shocked. We beat your [butt]."

So, you know, maybe a few of the Pats were remembering the way that the Chargers handled themselves in 2005.

And if L.T. is going to get bent out of shape because his opponents do this kind of stuff, we'd like to hear what he's been doing to persuade his teammates not to act that way, either.

Frankly, there aren't many NFL teams that can claim to be, top to bottom, the modern-day equivalent of Fred Blassie. So none of them should ever be *****ing when another squad does what they've surely done themselves at some point in the not-so-distant past.

No offense, but if you (Chargers) are going to talk sh*t, you ought to be able to take it. Boo-frickin' hoo. Honestly, this is ridiculous. Get over yourselves. Oh - and get a new HC - you 'aint going where you want to with Marty at the helm.

Stay classy, San Diego.

RonB.jpg

To have your own patented sack celebration is as classless as it gets. End of story.

I will touch upon this in my thoughts thread, but NE was very lucky to win this game.
Funny how they are 'lucky' so much. Wonder why that is.

Of course it didn't bother You when Empty Headed Merriman mouthed off at Half Time of The Pats Versus Jets Game.
I know that You don't win much in San Diego but here's a primer for You.Celebrations should only occur after You win EVERYTHING !
If You want something to be mad about look at the drops by your wide receivers.Look at the boneheaded plays by Florence and Olivia.Look at the empty headed challenge by Marty.Look at going on 4th and 11 by Marty. You have plenty to be mad at, Colvin is nothing but a diversion from the truth.You lost and the Chargers contributed mightily to the Patriots' victory.That is the story that You want to avoid.

-------------------------
You're right. Inexperience and emotions got the best of the Chargers yesterday. I didn't think the Patriots were that good yesterday. They couldn't stop LT when they had to. The Chargers didn't get beaten by a superior team, they beat themselves into a loss.

Yesterday's game is bulletin board material for next season, I can assure you that.

Thank you colvin for saying exactly what i would of said. Rub it in baby rub it in. Screw the Chargers and there whole franchise.

rosie said they taunted us all game so we returned the favor

Boo hoo, quit your whining.

If you run smack in anything, a sports event, video game, ANYTHING, and you lose, don't complain when it gets thrown back into your face. Merriman talks a lot of junk, and we shut him up yesterday. See you in Hawaii Chargers, after all, you sent 9 guys there, so your much better than us, right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes